First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Accountant
I originally had a post about four months ago concerning a replacement rear glass on my new 2020 XLT. It was replaced twice due to scratches and chips. However, I'm still concerned about the glass they have in there. It is a factory OEM replacement, but on the outside it looks wavy on the sides and along the top and bottom. I've attached a video that shows what I mean. If you look at the far left you can see it. It looks like a fun house mirror. So...one would think its defective and needs another replacement...but it is crystal clear when looking from the inside of the truck out the back. Zero distortions.

I took it to an independent glass installer and they said that it was a good glass and no guarantees they could get one better. They were of the opinion that replacing again may just cause more issues. And I kind of understand that, because any time I let someone touch the truck it seems to be worse after the fact. Others really don't seem to care to be gentle with paint, trim, etc..

So here I am looking for opinions. I want to let it go and move on...and try to enjoy truck. That's what some family members seem to think. They notice the distortions but think since its clear from the inside I should just leave it. But its all I seem to see when I look at it.

Am I over thinking this...or should I keep trying for something that may not exist? Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. It's really appreciated.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I originally had a post about four months ago concerning a replacement rear glass on my new 2020 XLT. It was replaced twice due to scratches and chips. However, I'm still concerned about the glass they have in there. It is a factory OEM replacement, but on the outside it looks wavy on the sides and along the top and bottom. I've attached a video that shows what I mean. If you look at the far left you can see it. It looks like a fun house mirror. So...one would think its defective and needs another replacement...but it is crystal clear when looking from the inside of the truck out the back. Zero distortions.

I took it to an independent glass installer and they said that it was a good glass and no guarantees they could get one better. They were of the opinion that replacing again may just cause more issues. And I kind of understand that, because any time I let someone touch the truck it seems to be worse after the fact. Others really don't seem to care to be gentle with paint, trim, etc..

So here I am looking for opinions. I want to let it go and move on...and try to enjoy truck. That's what some family members seem to think. They notice the distortions but think since its clear from the inside I should just leave it. But its all I seem to see when I look at it.

Am I over thinking this...or should I keep trying for something that may not exist? Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. It's really appreciated.

Hi Anthony,

If okay from the inside, I would be of the opinion to let it go and enjoy the truck Again, JMO

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Bugger1114

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Accountant
Thanks Phil for your input. That is definitely the way I'm leaning. Just wish the whole situation could have been avoided...but can't fix the past. Can only enjoy the future.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Mine does something similar. But looking out....really clear. My front windshield on the other hand looking out, if the light hits it just right i can see distortion. But only in certain light conditions. I would just enjoy it. Most people that do work on these cars dont care about the scratches they cause repairing vehicles either.
Enjoy it! And have a cold one!

OP
OP

Bugger1114

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Accountant
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying my best to just let things be and enjoy what I have, but me being picky and OCD makes it tough. It's like I see a little something each day that nags at me...mainly cosmetic things. And we can read for days on here about things others have noticed.

Maybe its just true that they don't make them like they used to? I really like so much about the truck...but having problems when so new dampens the joy significantly. It changes from day to day...One being Wow Nice Truck!...the next being Dang Wish That Wasn't an Issue!

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
If looking from the inside you see no distortion then all good, JMO.

Don't sweat the small stuff, as they say. ?
Sponsored