OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I kind of have a wacky idea to create a budget DIY bed-lined enclosure for my ARB awning (gray bagged). I regret not buying a black aluminum version of the awning when prices were much lower on them and the gray bag bugs my OCD.

I can easily build an enclose for it with a gas strut or spring loaded hing opening door.

So usually if I need to make particle board rugged I start by cutting parts to shape, then laying down a soup mixture of wood filler and water on it to get it to soak into all the open grains. Sand smooth, then I prime it and finally drop some bed-liner product on it.

Seems waterproof with some basic testing.

What do you think?

Maybe do a water sealer then the wood-filler mixture just for the sake of it?

I guess if I wanted to take it the distance I could shape some thin sheet metal onto it.
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
The truck bed liner should water proof it pretty well. I've used fiberglass resin on particle board before. It gives it a hard shell to help prevent dents. I go over it with a heat gun after brushing it on to remove bubbles and it leaves a fairly smooth finish.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I never trust particle board personally. I'd rather take my chances with some higher grade plywood and seal that. At least that doesn't tend to crumble if you do get some moisture in there and don't catch it in time.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I kind of have a wacky idea to create a budget DIY bed-lined enclosure for my ARB awning (gray bagged). I regret not buying a black aluminum version of the awning when prices were much lower on them and the gray bag bugs my OCD.

I can easily build an enclose for it with a gas strut or spring loaded hing opening door.

So usually if I need to make particle board rugged I start by cutting parts to shape, then laying down a soup mixture of wood filler and water on it to get it to soak into all the open grains. Sand smooth, then I prime it and finally drop some bed-liner product on it.

Seems waterproof with some basic testing.

What do you think?

Maybe do a water sealer then the wood-filler mixture just for the sake of it?

I guess if I wanted to take it the distance I could shape some thin sheet metal onto it.
When in doubt flex seal works great to waterproof stuff and you can paint over it to color match at will, if not a good coating of a paint and some acrylic over it should work but just for simplicities sake I would just slap a big coat of flex seal, we have used it to seal up oak trees that split and start to rot in the middle and it works great to waterproof wood and similar stuff

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I never trust particle board personally. I'd rather take my chances with some higher grade plywood and seal that. At least that doesn't tend to crumble if you do get some moisture in there and don't catch it in time.
Yeah plywood minimum would be best, stronger and more rigid as well

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
The truck bed liner should water proof it pretty well. I've used fiberglass resin on particle board before. It gives it a hard shell to help prevent dents. I go over it with a heat gun after brushing it on to remove bubbles and it leaves a fairly smooth finish.
How rigid and durable is it after you treat it?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Other alternative is dying the gray ARB bag black.

I just have a feeling it won't come out looking professional using RIT or something.

I'm amazed there is not an aftermarket for ARB awning bags in various colors.
You could try your local auto upholstery shop.
Sponsored