Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

Just a little curious as to what differences there could be from the RoTW Ranger to the North America spec ranger to make such a huge difference in water wading capability. RoTW Ranger is claimed to have 800mm (roughly 31.5 inches) of water wading capability and from what I can find in the US Ranger Owner's Manual, it says don't cross water higher than the bottom of the hubs. 31.5 inches of water would basically submerge the stock tires on the FX4 package.

Here in SoCal, I'll probably NEVER have to worry about it, just thought the difference was interesting.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
I think that is more for those who don't service the vehicle after driving thru water or for general safety reasons. It doesn't take much flowing water to cause a vehicle to lose traction / control. As long as the vehicle doesn't stall due to electrical system saturation, deeper water can be traversed. However after doing so, you'd need to service all lubricated parts under the truck including hubs, transmission, transfer case, u-joints, differentials, etc. I'll guarantee those "engineers' running that 800mm test either had that Ranger fully serviced thereafter, or sold it to some poor soul.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I 'm going to go with insurance reasons. The first bozo who tries to cross a flood channel and gets swept away will turn around and go after Ford....

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I 'm going to go with insurance reasons. The first bozo who tries to cross a flood channel and gets swept away will turn around and go after Ford....
100%

It’s based on the safe limit that ford can say without getting sued by idiots.

Here is a promo video from Ford AU.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It could also be for vent hose heights. I know trucks in South America often have various fuel vapor and axle vents that go up higher than they do here in North America. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's a much shorter vent hose here in the states.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I see the vent appears to be on the drivers axle tube. Seems like it's a very short tube unless the orange pipe is a vent extender, and even still it might get into the drivers side brake disc area.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/hose-assy-11574849-1#sectionId:95018791.

I may do a secondary look at it and see if I can't make it higher, even by a little bit.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
As with all of you guys, I have been wondering the same thing, would be nice to have a definitive answer.

I cant speak for any fuel/vapor vents or anything on the front end etc., however I have verified the rear axle vent tube goes all the way up to where the frame meets the bed. Puts it at about the same height as the top of the tire

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Someone here mentioned that the NA Ranger is more susceptible to water damage compared to the ROTW Ranger because the alternator is placed lower in the engine bay. The AU promo video boasts their high alternator placement, but since the 2.3 was originally designed for other vehicles, the alternator is placed pretty low and it probably wasn't worth the cost to find it a new home in the engine bay. With some kind of water resistant alternator mods, I'm sure the NA Ranger is just as capable to ford water.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/warning-mud-kills-alternators.3720/

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Someone here mentioned that the NA Ranger is more susceptible to water damage compared to the ROTW Ranger because the alternator is placed lower in the engine bay.
As a good comparison, here is the alternator location on the US Ranger with the 2.3l
1JZL11C.png

And here is the engine from the Wildtrack with the I5 diesel engine. Alternator is much higher in placement.
GCXOuBn.png

Also a disclaimer before i post more, i dont particularly know a lot of practical knowledge about vehicles and transmission systems, but I have a resource with some more info on those vent hoses. The vehicle model the following pictures are from is a Ranger Lariat with the FX4 offroad package and trailer-tow.

Rear Differential Vent hose location: Looks to run just below the fuel door
XOzdqD1.png

Front Differential vent hose: This looks really low... I think whoever took this picture might have adjusted the hose.
w6JBsmw.png

Transfer case vent hose:
UuijoH6.png

Transmission vent hose:
fhJBZyH.png

EDIT: Another picture of the front differential and that vent hose. Looks like it's supposed to attach to something else higher up
vyC4zbr.png

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
As a good comparison, here is the alternator location on the US Ranger with the 2.3l
1JZL11C.png

And here is the engine from the Wildtrack with the I5 diesel engine. Alternator is much higher in placement.
GCXOuBn.png

Also a disclaimer before i post more, i dont particularly know a lot of practical knowledge about vehicles and transmission systems, but I have a resource with some more info on those vent hoses. The vehicle model the following pictures are from is a Ranger Lariat with the FX4 offroad package and trailer-tow.

XOzdqD1.png

Front Differential vent hose: This looks really low...
w6JBsmw.png

Transfer case vent hose:
UuijoH6.png

Transmission vent hose:
fhJBZyH.png
Where did you get those images???

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
1JZL11C.png

GCXOuBn.png

XOzdqD1.png

Front Differential vent hose: This looks really low... I think whoever took this picture might have adjusted the hose.
w6JBsmw.png

Transfer case vent hose:
UuijoH6.png

Transmission vent hose:
fhJBZyH.png

EDIT: Another picture of the front differential and that vent hose. Looks like it's supposed to attach to something else higher up
vyC4zbr.png
These pictures are great!

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Where did you get those images???
A2Mac1.com, It's a benchmarking site that does full teardowns on vehicles. The company i work for finds the subscription to be beneficial to our engineering department, so i have an account through that.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
1JZL11C.png

GCXOuBn.png

XOzdqD1.png

w6JBsmw.png

Transfer case vent hose:
UuijoH6.png

Transmission vent hose:
fhJBZyH.png

vyC4zbr.png
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing these images.
Sponsored