Water on the floor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
For the last month or so, when I have gotten in the car to go somewhere, the inside has smelled dank and a bit musty. I thought maybe I accidentally left something wet underneath the seat or something, but I cleaned the car thoroughly and no avail. But while I was cleaning yesterday, I found green and white mold spores, and by the door sills, both sides, front and back, were wet. Front driver was the worst, and that's where it was starting to grow. I called the dealer, but their water leak guy won't be in til after the lockdown. I wanted to make sure they knew since it is a lease. But was wondering if anyone else had a problem? Thinking door seals, but could be wrong.
Sponsored

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
I see you're in Jersey so I assume you have snowy winters? Did the carpet get wet with snow and such over the winter? Even though that was likely weeks or even a couple months ago that could be the cause of the musty smell and mold now. In my experience water soaked carpet can stay wet for weeks or months. Especially if the water gets down into the carpet underneath a mat.

Another possibility might be the drain hose from the air conditioner (I'm not even sure the Ranger has one? I don't know how newer cars are configured). If it comes loose it can leak water. Even if it has not been warm enough yet to run the air - it runs automatically when the defroster is on.

When you say "both sides, front and back, were wet" are you saying your entire carpet is basically wet - front and back? That would be really weird. It might be fairly common to have a bad seal on one door. Maybe two. But all four seems a stretch....

Even if the windshield seal leaked just for example - the front carpet might get wet but with the raised areas of the floor pan and such I wouldn't imagine that would migrate to the rear.

BGDOGY

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 crew cab
I had the same issue, it turned out to be my back window seal was leaking. I found it wet under my front floor mat, then investigating further, found it was wet along the sill towards the back. The dealer called in their "leak guy" and then proceeded to fix the seal and dry out the carpet, but like you found mold, so they replaced all my carpet. The truck smells way better now. It must have been leaking since it was built, because it never had that new car smell and mine sat on the lot for six months. Good luck!

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I had the same issue, it turned out to be my back window seal was leaking. I found it wet under my front floor mat, then investigating further, found it was wet along the sill towards the back. The dealer called in their "leak guy" and then proceeded to fix the seal and dry out the carpet, but like you found mold, so they replaced all my carpet. The truck smells way better now. It must have been leaking since it was built, because it never had that new car smell and mine sat on the lot for six months. Good luck!
Mine isn't wet under the mat, but more or less under the sills. I'm banking on the window seals. The water guys isn't coming for a while so I threw a few extra febreeze air fresheners in there. I guess we'll see how it holds up this week with all the rain coming. And it also does sound like air is getting thru in the back somewhere, so like you, assuming door seal. Thanks for your input.

Maxiros

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2012
Occupation
Self employed
I have a Ford Ranger T6 year 2012. Wet floor water stands up over the carpet. Lots of Water!
There was 2 problems.
1. The plastic vent covers on the back side below the rear window shrinked. So I take them out and cleaned all, and sealed around them with silicon.
No more water from the backside into the cabine.
2. But still water inside the floor. And a lot.
I did take out all the carpet and the seat. Parked the car in heavy rain! everything dry.

Then I did drive around, without the carpet. No rain at all and after 50km distance with the AC on I had about 500ml or even more water in the floor.

The problem is coming from the AC drain pipe. Somehow it mus be blocked outside. I also noticed no water under the car as normally would be using the AC and then parking, then you would see water drops under the car, but not in the car.

So the AC drain is blocked. And where the drain leafs cabine, there is a foam that gets wet outside and take the water into the cabine.

I would like to know how the AC drain looks normally in this cars. But cant find a diagram that would give me a clear view if there is something missing.

So if someone have this info please share with me.

For the moment I would seal the place inside the car where the foam is with silicon hoping the water will stay outside and not come anymore into the cabin. Its a lot of water that is coming there.

Bawest

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 d ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have this problem but since we live in Texas and it doesn't rain often, it's hard to track down. I took it to the dealer and they only changed the door seals and said it was fixed. It rained last week and it's obviously not fixed.
Sponsored