Water fording depth

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
I'm heading out to Big Cypress next weekend - and there are definitely times on the trail where water can get a little deep.

Whats the max depth when taking it easy I should be able to cross with this thing? Truck isnt lifted.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Dinglehead

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Owners manual I believe says center of wheels. Alternator is the weak point. Mounted on bottom of engine.
Ok I get thats what the owners manual says... and I know the alternator sits low which is why Im a little concerned. I was just curious if maybe that was a super conservative ceiling.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
As stated above, it is recommended you try not to pass the center line of the wheel.

Now I have gone well beyond that and been fine, but every situation will be different. I can tell you I did a couple water crossings in Osceola National Forest that swallowed up the wheels. Biggest thing too is clear water vs muddy water that can really gunk stuff up.

As you can see in the pictures, the water depth was deeper than recommended by the factory. And that's with me staying away from the center of the pit.

8261DB0A-3122-4529-9ED0-0D5AC248F390.png

3C9EDED0-D1C9-4D1F-BB8D-C10C3956FC67.png

C5A22F72-2DAE-4956-AA67-D28ACCE7CDE6.png

5BBBF4A1-74FE-475E-9E21-8F2FC9D3D9A6.png

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I know it is tempting to play in the water by charging into it, but that is counter productive as you only want to move fast enough to create a 'small' bow wave. A large bow wave creates a void behind it that actually sucks the water up into the engine, creating the issues you are trying to avoid. I have made many a water fording in military vehicles and 'slow and steady' is the best. Just my .02, to each their own.

OP
OP
Dinglehead

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
I know it is tempting to play in the water by charging into it, but that is counter productive as you only want to move fast enough to create a 'small' bow wave. A large bow wave creates a void behind it that actually sucks the water up into the engine, creating the issues you are trying to avoid. I have made many a water fording in military vehicles and 'slow and steady' is the best. Just my .02, to each their own.
I'm all about taking it slow - Just dont want to find out how deep is "too deep" on the drive home when the alternator dies.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm all about taking it slow - Just dont want to find out how deep is "too deep" on the drive home when the alternator dies.
I hear you, and for a 'off road 4X4' that alternator placement is stupid, shows that the designers are not off road enthusiasts or they would know better.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I had the luxury of my brother going first in his Power Wagon , so I had an idea as to what parts to avoid. Though the pictures may show otherwise, I did enter the waterhole at a slow speed, and then got going once I was committed. The sand was very, very soft and I did not want to get stranded halfway through and really get stuck.

Take plenty of pictures, I have been wanting to take a trip out to Big Cypress.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was the lead Jeep in a group fording a river down in Texas one time, looked OK after a walk around so I started across, was going great until I hit the low water channel in the middle, knew I was in trouble when the hood disappeared under water. Tire grabbed a rock and launched me up on it, bent the tranny support forcing the fan to eat the shroud and banging the stick shift into the dash. I did make across but spent 2 hours fixing the damage, except for what was left of the shroud, no fixing that.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Basically wheel center depth limit keeps water out of the rear solid axle breather. Not sure about the front with the Ranger. Might check for water after deep diving!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
One other thing to co spider is the diff breather tubes!! The rear isnt so bad but the front is another story. My suggestion fix those along with finding a solution to the alternator(if anyone hasnt yet) and then you should be ok

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
One other thing to co spider is the diff breather tubes!! The rear isnt so bad but the front is another story. My suggestion fix those along with finding a solution to the alternator(if anyone hasnt yet) and then you should be ok
I may be mistaken, but I thought the front diff breather tube was up on the firewall, high enough to keep it out of trouble?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Someone here posted an image of the differential and transmission/transfer case vents and I believe they were all decently high.

Rear axle vent is near the fuel door.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I may be mistaken, but I thought the front diff breather tube was up on the firewall, high enough to keep it out of trouble?
Th front diff tube is right around the engine mount. So it is kinda high but not very
Sponsored