Watch the 2019 Ranger tow 15 campers, at same time!

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Administrator, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

#1 Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Great ad :)

Via Automobile Magazine:

We’ve seen a Toyota Tundra tow a space shuttle, but smaller pickups have quite a bit of towing power, too. In a new video, Ford’s European division shows the new Ranger towing 15 camper trailers at the same time.

The Ranger towed a convoy weighing a total of 20 metric tons, or 44,093 pounds—more than five times the official tow rating for the pickup. The Euro-spec Ranger has a 2.0-liter diesel engine and a towing capacity of up to 3,500 kg (7,716 pounds). For the experiment, Ford reinforced the campers (or caravans, as they’re called in the U.K.) with steel frames and put tow bars in the front and rear. Even going beyond the weight, the sheer length of the convoy is pretty extraordinary. The video shows an Audi passing the near-328-foot convoy on a two-lane road, although we’re not sure why they didn’t use a Mondeo or something, aside from the chance to make Audi drivers look like impatient jackasses. For obvious safety reasons, the film was shot on a closed circuit at the Millbrook Proving Ground in the U.K.

U.S. customers get a turbocharged 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder gas engine as the only option; the diesel shown in this video won’t be available. Our Ranger has a maximum towing capacity of 7,500 pounds, putting it ahead of other midsize competitors save for the upcoming Jeep Gladiator. See the Euro-spec Ford Ranger pull off an impressive towing stunt:

2. Lloyd C

Lloyd C Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lloyd
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Lexus RX350
    And all without a break controller or tech. Support to put one in. Shame on Ford!!!!!!!!

3. RodSlinger

RodSlinger Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 Dakota

UK tow restrictions are a lot different than ours and speed limits for tow vehicles are heavily enforced. Their drivers are far better trained before getting licensed also.

4. ZanS

ZanS Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Ranger Limited
    #4 Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    We don't have brake controllers here, trailers brake the same as vehicles.

This video pretty much explains how it operates, except I've never seen two cable plugs in my life. Must be British thing.

5. Lloyd C

First Name:
    Lloyd
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Lexus RX350
    Please explained? Someone sits in the trailer and manually applies the brakes when the tow driver waves at him?I think I prefer our way with an integrated system.

6. Floyd

Floyd Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2001 Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
    If that's in the UK why are they driving on the right side of the road?

7. RodSlinger

Vehicle(s):
    2011 Dakota
    Probably so that the rest of the world watching the AD wouldn't be confused and freaking out if it were driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

8. RodSlinger

Vehicle(s):
    2011 Dakota
    No. They use surge brakes like a lot of boat or U-Haul trailers in the US have.

9. Lloyd C

First Name:
    Lloyd
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Lexus RX350
    OK but then the surge systems that I have seen in the US require Power to the rear of the tow vehicle which to my knowlege Ford has not provided.

10. RodSlinger

Vehicle(s):
    2011 Dakota
    You mean power for the lights?

Even if the truck isn't prewired for trailer it is usually a zero issue tapping a 4-pin harness into the rear lamps for trailer wiring. You will probably find a plug in t-harness that will do this already.

This is no different than ANY vehicle not prewired for trailer lights. Want to drag your 500lb junk trailer behind your Corolla? Bolt on a draw-tire, splice the pigtail and go.

11. Pinecrestjim

Pinecrestjim Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2000 Miata SE, 2004 Deville
    No power, completely self contained hydraulic system - see short video on their operation. Like Rodslinger stated, you only need power for the required trailer lights.

12. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
    Retired Engineer
    #12 Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Some [SOME] surge brakes have an electrically operated brake release (my boat used a 5 pin flat plug similar to the universal 4 pin plug). If so equipped the trailer needs a backup signal to release the surge brake to allow you to backup. Some surge brakes are not powered and to backup the trailer a "key" needs to be in place prevent the surge coupler from activating the brakes -- My Tow Dolly is like this.

The Ford 7 pin connector should be wired for this and they do make a 7 Pin to 5 pin adapter for just this purpose ( https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Optronics/A75TB.html ).

Bubbabiker likes this.
  13. Bubbabiker

Bubbabiker Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
    Some [SOME] surge brakes have an electrically operated brake release (my boat used a 5 pin flat plug similar to the universal 4 pin plug). If so equipped the trailer needs a backup signal to release the surge brake to allow you to backup. (Some surge brakes are not powered and to backup the trailer a "key" needs to be in place prevent the surge coupler from activating the brakes -- My Tow Dolly is like this)

The Ford 7 pin connector should be wired for this and they do make a 7 Pin to 5 pin adapter for just this purpose.

^ This. We have had utility trailers using surge brakes with and without electric lockouts. Since then we have switched out to all electric or electrics over hydraulics brakes.