First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Chili Pepper Red
Occupation
Chef
See many post at what did you do to your ranger today that wash her today. What does that really mean. What is your method. Are you a thru the car wash guy. I think we should all use this method and hold up the 5g brethren to the highest standard. Here,s my story. With the previous f150 a quick was with turtle car wash zip wax did the job. Nothing out standing but it always looked good. I have been a turtle zip wfor ax and car wash guy for a long time. Before that I used dish detergent. Yikes, So I bought my hot chili pepper red in January so series hand washing did not begin until end of February. The previous fall I had run out of my zip wash and wax so I headed to my local O Reily for some more only to see they did not have it. Bummer. So got a jug of the really cheap stuff Oreily purple power for 4.85. Tried this stuff on the ranger and ugh. Bad. Ugly. It must be that purple power. Called my dealer ship and asked what they use. To expensive. You see I am cheap. So I got out the google google and started search in how to wash a car. After 40 years of washing a car I relearned what I thought was a no brained all because I love my ranger. Here,s my method. Two bucket. Two washing untensils. Power washer. Foam gun. Wipe dry with micro fiber. Miguiars synthetic x-press spray wax every third time. Sorry for the type o,s
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
See many post at what did you do to your ranger today that wash her today. What does that really mean. What is your method. Are you a thru the car wash guy. I think we should all use this method and hold up the 5g brethren to the highest standard. Here,s my story. With the previous f150 a quick was with turtle car wash zip wax did the job. Nothing out standing but it always looked good. I have been a turtle zip wfor ax and car wash guy for a long time. Before that I used dish detergent. Yikes, So I bought my hot chili pepper red in January so series hand washing did not begin until end of February. The previous fall I had run out of my zip wash and wax so I headed to my local O Reily for some more only to see they did not have it. Bummer. So got a jug of the really cheap stuff Oreily purple power for 4.85. Tried this stuff on the ranger and ugh. Bad. Ugly. It must be that purple power. Called my dealer ship and asked what they use. To expensive. You see I am cheap. So I got out the google google and started search in how to wash a car. After 40 years of washing a car I relearned what I thought was a no brained all because I love my ranger. Here,s my method. Two bucket. Two washing untensils. Power washer. Foam gun. Wipe dry with micro fiber. Miguiars synthetic x-press spray wax every third time. Sorry for the type o,s
You're right NEVER use dish soap to wash your truck. With that out of the way I use Trinova (made by 303) car shampoo and conditioner,you only need a cap full. I don't like any car wash that has added waxes or sealants in them. I use the 2 bucket method with grit screens in both buckets and a microfiber mitt. Wash and rinse one panel at a time and dry with a synthetic chamois called The Absorber. I've tried several different drying towels,chamois and waffle towels and this one has been the best. It really soaks up a lot of water in one pass and doesn't leave your vehicle full of streaks. It works better after several uses,I've had mine for over 15 years now and it still works great.

I use Optimum spray wax and opti-seal every 6 months and rarely have to touch it in between but if I do it's a quick spritz of opti-seal. There's a detailing section here and I did a write up on my clay and wax procedure here.

OP
OP

Roy Johnson

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Chef
So like I said I am cheap. I rinse with the power washer. Apply the o reily purple power car wash in a cheap foam gun Walmart brand. Let it work while I fill my rinse and wash buckets. Put a small amount of that cheap car wash in my wash bucket. Rinse of the foam with the power washer. Wash with a sponge on the lower panels and around under sides of the wheel wells. Use a microfiber mitt on side panels and hood. Rinse microfiber and sponge at each application. Change sides on the microfiber constantly . That cheap Walmart foam gun and oreily purple power stuff(only 4.85 a gallon) is amazing. I then rinse with the power washer. Dry with multiple wet micro fiber towels. I will be picking up the absorber. Thanks for the tips.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So like I said I am cheap. I rinse with the power washer. Apply the o reily purple power car wash in a cheap foam gun Walmart brand. Let it work while I fill my rinse and wash buckets. Put a small amount of that cheap car wash in my wash bucket. Rinse of the foam with the power washer. Wash with a sponge on the lower panels and around under sides of the wheel wells. Use a microfiber mitt on side panels and hood. Rinse microfiber and sponge at each application. Change sides on the microfiber constantly . That cheap Walmart foam gun and oreily purple power stuff(only 4.85 a gallon) is amazing. I then rinse with the power washer. Dry with multiple wet micro fiber towels. I will be picking up the absorber. Thanks for the tips.
Sometimes being cheap will cost you more in the long run. Spending a few more dollars now on good products will actually save you money down the road especially once you factor in how much it could/will cost you to repaint your truck. The wax and sealant I use is expensive but it last a long time and has great UV protection. That saves me time in not having to redo it every few months and also gives my paint extra protection. Here in AZ the sun will damage everything that's outside so I try to protect my vehicles the best I can.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I start off with fresh mountain spring water from the Peruvian Andes Mountains to soften the dirt and gently rinse the exterior. I then use a specially blended formula of car shampoo made by Shaolin Monks that is made with lavender, aloe and carnuba essences and that is specially formulated to achieve pH neutrality. I then use chamois skins from the rare Manx Loaghtan sheep hides, found only on the Isle of Man. One sheep per wash and then they are tossed out. But hey, that's just me.

OP
OP

Roy Johnson

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Chef
That foam gun does an amazing job on the bugs. Once a week I drive out in the country and the front end gets coated with green nasty sticky ness. They come completely off

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
Wet wheels. Wheel and tire cleaner. Scrub. Rinse.

2 buckets.

Bucket 1: tap water, 3 gallons, 1 tblsp washing soda (to soften the water) Maguire's gold class wash with a microfiber mitt.

Bucket 2: just water. For rinsing themkitt between sections.

Wash every section, rinsing mitt between.

Wash a second time sloppily, let the soaked mitt run the water everywhere.

Rinse.

Dry with two towels for the job

Wipe down door sills with damp towels

Clean windshield with rainx cleaner

Quikwax

Tireshine

Natural shine inside.

Non ammonia Window cleaner inside windshield.

Vacuum.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm huge into dealing my vehicles.
My 2014 Mustang - 13 hour detail sessions including 2 bucket washes, leaf blower drying, cutting and buffing, etc. In between details, I maintain it with a product called ClearShine.

My 2019 Ranger- I hose it off, and use ClearShine on the exterior.

My wife's 2013 Ford Escape- I run it through car washes. It is a commuting vehicle and goes long multiples of months without being washed.

DBRanger

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 2007 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger-through the car wash every month or so.

BMW - hand wash, hand dry, buff/wax once a year with buffer and Griot's wax .

OP
OP

Roy Johnson

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Chef
It’s interesting how some owners are not real into it. I do the whole Shabang every week just because I like to. Some of us treat it like a bmw.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Since the COVID pandemic, we've been staying at home more the last few months. Our vehicles have never been cleaner or shinier. Unfortunately, my wife's Explorer got rear-ended yesterday at the stop sign within sight of our house. Naturally, they didn't have insurance.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I do it about once a month, but I drive rarely... Still sub 3000 miles since January.
Jeez, I've got almost a 1000 miles since June 23rd. Of course, I find myself making excuses to drive and sometimes, just drive for the heck of it.

I did take it to a spray car wash Monday. I let it air dry and I'm not happy with the streaks. My GF laughs at me, because prior to this, I let the dealership wash my car for me when I took it in to get the oil changed.
Sponsored