Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.
The side steps issue is funny because people complain about them yet so many add aftermarket steps that are almost identical.
Yeah, I keep thinking about replacing the steps, but then, hey, they work fine, and I am already four years into ownership (2019-2023), so I will probably just keep them...

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Dammit guys.... now you've got me thinking about steps vs seat wear. Going to have to analyze that pretty hard.

On the other hand I just can't imagine how I'd use those steps. Food for thought though as I keep vehicles for a long time.

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
Yeah after the shins heal you learn how to use them pretty quick!
but yeah I am savin my fun money for a set of Amp Power Steps.

LB

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I'd think getting out would act like a cheese grater on your calfs.lol
As many of you know, I'm very graceful in my native setting - the dump.

BUT ... I tend to be a mess otherwise and miss steps (like the Bed Step my home's side door steps, and generally look like Jerry Lewis) but I've never grated my shins or calves on my side steps.

For me, it wasn't an option and I must have some form of entry assistance.

However, I'm short (5'6" after waking up and hanging on the inversion table for a few minutes) so that's probably a factor. If I was taller and could directly get into the truck, I bet the side steps would be an issue. I could imagine that you would hit your lower legs all the time if you stepped over and beyond the side steps - both getting in and getting out.

Also, I have built-in natural bumpers that keep my lower legs away from low protruding objects - it's served me well.

1676296667434.png

1676296371149.png

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Dammit guys.... now you've got me thinking about steps vs seat wear. Going to have to analyze that pretty hard.

On the other hand I just can't imagine how I'd use those steps. Food for thought though as I keep vehicles for a long time.
I'm pretty rough on my external-side seat bolster when I get out. Getting in I swing may @$$ right over it, but I tend to rotate when I get out and step on my side step with my heel. When I get in, I step on my toe, I just need to do the same getting out and treat it more like a ladder than a house step.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I'm 5'11", so I don't need the steps myself, but the wife is just shy of 5'2", and the kids haven't yet cleared 5', so they need them too. I had them on the Escape, and got used to dealing with them over a decade, so having them on the Ranger isn't an issue.

Now that Mom is living with us, she needs them to get in the truck, too, and I don't even have a lift; as it is, she has trouble enough. On the plus side, it means that when she has the choice, she rides in the other car, so I don't have to deal with her side-seat driving.
Sponsored