Voltage 12.1 this morning...

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Concerned and wondering what is going on with my battery since cold I must measured with digital volt meter and and showing a repeated 12.16 volts cold? Can I just charge it up in vehicle with my 2/6 voltage battery charger in vehicle? I am not having an issue with starting "yet" but concerned about the LOW voltage. Call to dealer seems unconcerned with low voltage that the systems regulates itself. I need to dedicate 4-5 hours for them to test it. Ugh.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
With the engine off, right? I wouldn't fret over 2-3 tenths of a volt. And i've had different reading with my fluke vs a crappy walmart meter. I also notice a voltage drop when the doors are open, as the car seems to power up a decent amount of accessories.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Concerned and wondering what is going on with my battery since cold I must measured with digital volt meter and and showing a repeated 12.16 volts cold? Can I just charge it up in vehicle with my 2/6 voltage battery charger in vehicle? I am not having an issue with starting "yet" but concerned about the LOW voltage. Call to dealer seems unconcerned with low voltage that the systems regulates itself. I need to dedicate 4-5 hours for them to test it. Ugh.

It's been covered here a few times already that the rangers engine has some stupid smart alternator that will leave the batteries with just enough juice to start. Many others have found that leaving the trucks parked for lengths of time (2+ week up to 4/5 weeks) have dead batteries upon return.

What we need to be doing collectively as a forum is figuring out how to disable the "smart" alternator which I think is possible but has not been discussed here yet.

I believe our options are.
-Ford will come jump you :LOL:
-Plug in a battery tender or buy a fancy one that comes with a dedicated ring terminal harness and make it a "quick connect" if it really bothers you or has left you stranded enough to necessitate...
-Carry a pair of jumper cables like the big manly ranger owners we are

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I believe you have summed it up quite well. I have a jumper box coming and will purchase a dedicated 1.5 AMP trickle charger with a pig tail to keep it in higher normal charge if need be. I keep the SS permanantly off with a tiny LED night light in the passenger area 12V plug

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I believe you have summed it up quite well. I have a jumper box coming and will purchase a dedicated 1.5 AMP trickle charger with a pig tail to keep it in higher normal charge if need be. I keep the SS permanantly off with a tiny LED night light in the passenger area 12V plug
Hi Dar,

I have no idea on your measurements, but the Ranger battery is an AGM battery, and they behave and measure voltage different than a flooded cell Lead Acid battery....they also have to be charged at a different rate than flooded cell batteries. I have six 6 volt batteries that are AGM and I have to set the onboard charger to a specific setting as flood cell battery setting is harmful to the AGMs. BTW the six AGM batteries cost about 3 times the flood cell batteries, but are superior to standard batteries than the flood cell batteries that are very cheap at Costco. I do not have time to research the difference here on this forum, but it might benefit you to research AGM battery characteristics.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, thanks for all your insight but no matter the kind of battery, all my batts are AGM, they should all hold a charge the same way. My post I said my readings were typically 12.1 resting and that is still ONLY 50% of it's charge on top of being a new battery/2019 Ranger. In my 60+ years of vehicle maintaining I always believed the Battery should show 12.6 - 13.1 resting or better to be fully charged. I have a very good digital Voltmeter. I will be doing at home load testing as you have detailed in previous posts to preclude spending anytime being TORTURED at the FORD dealer. As much as I like my Ranger is how much I dislike and find distasteful the gymnastics and HOURS wasted at the Stealer that I purchased it from. Last time I was there and THEY noted it low at 12.1 they said it was fine. I think otherwise. Hopefully it passes the at home Load test or I can being it to a auto parts shop that can load test it in 5 minutes rather than the 5 hours the dealership is quoting me.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, thanks for all your insight but no matter the kind of battery, all my batts are AGM, they should all hold a charge the same way. My post I said my readings were typically 12.1 resting and that is still ONLY 50% of it's charge on top of being a new battery/2019 Ranger. In my 60+ years of vehicle maintaining I always believed the Battery should show 12.6 - 13.1 resting or better to be fully charged. I have a very good digital Voltmeter. I will be doing at home load testing as you have detailed in previous posts to preclude spending anytime being TORTURED at the FORD dealer. As much as I like my Ranger is how much I dislike and find distasteful the gymnastics and HOURS wasted at the Stealer that I purchased it from. Last time I was there and THEY noted it low at 12.1 they said it was fine. I think otherwise. Hopefully it passes the at home Load test or I can being it to a auto parts shop that can load test it in 5 minutes rather than the 5 hours the dealership is quoting me.
Hi Dar,

I had a battery problem on my Lincoln MKX and I was in the service line and the service writer did the load test right in line and verified the battery was toast... I had followed wife in my Ranger and we headed around the corner to this little sports bar. Couple Pacificos got a text MKX was done and picked it up. Sad your dealer jacks you around.... Several folks here on the forums have had their battery replaced.... I really do not clearly understand this battery management on the Ranger and wonder if it is responsible for the low readings.... I just do not know...

Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These are my test results this morning after charging it up yesterday @ 2 volts to 12.9 and leaving it undisturbed over night for the BMS to take notice of the charge. Then upon testing this AM without engine running it was back to 12.2 Volts. Engine running 14.7 Volts. Engine running with all accessores on Brights/ AC/heated seats/fan high/ = 14.7 Volts.
KEY ON - Engine off with Bright headlights on for 5+ minutes. 12 Volts exactly.
Why it dropped from 12.9 to 12.2 over night? I dunno.... I think it should have been the same.
Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
These are my test results this morning after charging it up yesterday @ 2 volts and leaving it undisturbed over night for the BMS to take notice of the charge. Then upon testing this AM without engine running it was back to 12.2 Volts. Engine running 14.7 Volts. Engine running with all accessores on Brights/ AC/heated seats/fan high/ = 14.7 Volts.
KEY ON - Engine off with Bright headlights on for 5+ minutes. 12 Volts exactly.
Why it dropped from 12.9 to 12.2 over night? I dunno.... I think it should have been the same.
Your thoughts?
Surface charge.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I guess I’m wondering why you checked it to begin with?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Just looked at mine, 12.4V after being parked for a couple of days. I waited a bit after opening the hood so the fuel pump load was over.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Is 12.1v enough to start the truck? If not, then i could see how this is a problem.

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
12.1 is keeping it at 50% charge. Not a good thing.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Our Rangers have a "smart" battery charging system that keeps the battery at a minimum static (non-charging) level. The concept it to extend the life of the battery and charging system. Posts online refer to Ford being able to disable the "smart" part, allowing the system to work like a "conventional" charging system. Though I've seen the posts, I have not found the actual method for doing this.

You can hook up your truck to a charger while it's parked, and thereby raise it's static voltage above 12.1 - 12.4. Under normal circumstances, this isn't necessary. The truck will start at these voltage levels. However, if the truck is going to sit for extended periods, or if you're in extremely cold climate, keeping a trickle charger on the batter is probably a good idea.

If anyone does find out how to make the charging system "dumb" please post. I have a 50-watt ham radio installed and can't run it on high power due to the charging system not being able to keep up with the current load.
Sponsored