First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Developer
Rather unfortunate this happened to this owner, but if he really and truly didn't tune the car (which sounds unlikely, and it sounds like Dodge is now doing what VW/Audi does with the TD1 Flagging), or even if he did, this can turn into a nasty lawsuit.

Magnusson Moss Warranty Act dictates that the dealer/manufacturer has to prove the tune or muffler delete caused the failure. They just don't expect anyone to invoke it and press the issue, and for the most part, people don't know their rights.

Case in point, my Ranger had a Tie Rod End and CV Boot puke grease in January. Yes, I have a leveling kit. Ford repaired it, because they couldn't prove it was the leveling kit or its install that caused the failure

OP
OP
Synfulz

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Bound to happen.
So you buy a new car with 800HP but it's not enough. Picture the Toolman Tim Taylor need more power grunting. Unless your thee guy on the planet with the most money, fastest car, biggest house and boat what's the point? Learn to be happy especially when your truly doing well in life. Just my $.02.

OP
OP
Synfulz

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Rather unfortunate this happened to this owner, but if he really and truly didn't tune the car (which sounds unlikely, and it sounds like Dodge is now doing what VW/Audi does with the TD1 Flagging), or even if he did, this can turn into a nasty lawsuit.

Magnusson Moss Warranty Act dictates that the dealer/manufacturer has to prove the tune or muffler delete caused the failure. They just don't expect anyone to invoke it and press the issue, and for the most part, people don't know their rights.

Case in point, my Ranger had a Tie Rod End and CV Boot puke grease in January. Yes, I have a leveling kit. Ford repaired it, because they couldn't prove it was the leveling kit or its install that caused the failure
Based on the article I think he certainly did due to ECM coding. But it's not like Hellcats haven't been tuned with no issues and running fine. Maybe the tune was bad.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So clearly the owner does not want to admit about the tune. Also it is required after a certain mileage (can't remember what mileage) that the PCM gets replaced and flashed as part of the break-in period.

That said the vehicle has way more power than you need on the street anyway.

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Lightning
So clearly the owner does not want to admit about the tune. Also it is required after a certain mileage (can't remember what mileage) that the PCM gets replaced and flashed as part of the break-in period.

That said the vehicle has way more power than you need on the street anyway.
It may be more power than YOU need, but this person needed more.

They should've waited to break the car in before messing with it.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
there is always a risk when you modify something you didnt design.
as for them proving it, probably pretty easy in court to wow a judge with some obscure metallurgy report that the owner would have difficulty in refuting with any other evidence he had.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
there is always a risk when you modify something you didnt design.
as for them proving it, probably pretty easy in court to wow a judge with some obscure metallurgy report that the owner would have difficulty in refuting with any other evidence he had.
And really would the attorneys fees be worth it?

I mean anyone going up against a multinational conglomerate is going to need pretty deep pockets for a chance at winning.

Expert witnesses aren't cheap for poors, but for the gm, Ford and toyota corporations... A drops in the bucket.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
So you buy a new car with 800HP but it's not enough. Picture the Toolman Tim Taylor need more power grunting. Unless your thee guy on the planet with the most money, fastest car, biggest house and boat what's the point? Learn to be happy especially when your truly doing well in life. Just my $.02.

This is something I sit and ponder on from time to time.

The point? I don't believe there NEEDS to be a point, other than the simple fact that it's desired.

SOME PEOPLE would be happy to live their whole lives sitting under a tree in the woods, watching ants crawl around and huffing butterfly farts... but that same lifestyle could/would/will literally drive somebody else to suicide.

SO much of how we live our lives is up to perspective, and totally subjective. For all we know.. this life is all we get right? Might as well enjoy everything you want while you're breathing & able.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Due to inflation, your $.02 is now worth $.25.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I'm leery of tuning Shelly.
FeddAaAacAAjVa0.jpg
I have been involved behind the scenes on quite a few lawsuits....The "Power and resources of Ford" can be summoned and are formidable... Like in Racing...Hard to beat the factory entry...

That said...suits can be costly and many times it is just cheaper to settle out of court. That is what happened when Ford and I were sued by an Engineer I fired. Sued for $3M. Ford settled out of court for $20K....Lawyer took most of it, but Engineer said "I won!"....not really and I was mad at the time, but do understand the economics of it.

Best,
Phil

Best,
Phil

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I have been involved behind the scenes on quite a few lawsuits....The "Power and resources of Ford" can be summoned and are formidable... Like in Racing...Hard to beat the factory entry...

That said...suits can be costly and many times it is just cheaper to settle out of court. That is what happened when Ford and I were sued by an Engineer I fired. Sued for $3M. Ford settled out of court for $20K....Lawyer took most of it, but Engineer said "I won!"....not really and I was mad at the time, but do understand the economics of it.

Best,
Phil

Best,
Phil
The good ol', how much will it cost to win vs how much to make this go away equation...

We would joke that if you tripped and fell on a sidewalk in a municipality I worked for it was an easy 10k. Just hire a flea bag attorney, write the city a letter saying you wishbto sue them because they failed to keep the sidewalk in good shape, the city will ask what it'll take to go away, you say a number <10k and away the problem goes. >10k, they would make you take them to court. And there was a reason the city attorney made the most money of any city employee... ?
Sponsored