First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I just ordered mine (black w/red flare). Hopefully I guessed correctly that red is a closer match to HPR than molten orange. I also pre-ordered the red aFe airbox scoop.

I also have the 4 led light bar on my Lariat grill. I'm prepared to trim the bracket to fit around the Big Mouth if necessary
I went to Velossa Tech this morning and Dan replaced the prototype with a final product which he pointed out is their Generation III design: the opening can be replaced if the owner wants to change up the color. Previous models were molded in.
Sponsored

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
the opening can be replaced if the owner wants to change up the color
I have the raptor lights in my grill I'm thinking removing the opening trim may allow it to clear.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
So is the Big Mouth just the scoop under the cowl behind the grill
aFe_airbox_scoop.jpg
While the cowl was off I snapped this pic of the stock airbox intake horn.
IMG_20200925_113358178.jpg

I admit Ford did a pretty clever job making the area above the shroud and under the hood a clear air area, it isn't perfectly sealed with the cutout for the hood latch. It's a minor amount of air leakage and shouldn't matter. I'm interested in what the two intakes look like side by side. The stock opening under the shroud isn't worse than where the beck of the intake goes into the airbox; the Ram Air horn should work in conjunction.

Seems a bit like designing exhaust systems - large diameter down pipes and free-flowing piping/mufflers allow torque to come on earlier and higher but you lose horsepower without making other changes i.e. tuning.

I don't know if the Velossa Tech would neccesarily need tuning but I'm curious how it would do on an absolutely stock Ranger.

The 'problem' peeking behind the cowl was me fantasizing about a bigger intercooler. Must.Resist. (although the Mishimoto charge pipes are calling to me.)

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, the red aFe scoop I posted a picture of is a direct replacement for the oem tube you posted a picture of. it will work on the stock and aFe Quantum airboxes. Should also work with the Roush but don't quote me on that. It will not work on the Mishimoto airbox. I noticed aFe makes no performance claims so assume it just cosmetic.

I'll post comparison pix when I receive it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Correct, the red aFe scoop I posted a picture of is a direct replacement for the oem tube you posted a picture of. it will work on the stock and aFe Quantum airboxes. Should also work with the Roush but don't quote me on that. It will not work on the Mishimoto airbox. I noticed aFe makes no performance claims so assume it just cosmetic.

It will fit on the roush box just fine because the roush kit uses the oem lower air box.

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I've had the first prototype on mine and definitely saw improvements fuel economy wise and just a slight hair on the track. The final piece looks awesome!!

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales

This is what I was afraid of (already ordered it).....I emailed Velossa Tech and specifically asked if this would work on the Mishimoto Intake and they responded...I don't see anyway possible that I would work no.

Hello Landis,

Thank you for contacting us! 
Our intake will absolutely work with your vehicle.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Best,

Tamir Dagan
Operations Manager
Velossa Tech Engineering Inc.
Hollywood, FL

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is what I was afraid of (already ordered it).....I emailed Velossa Tech and specifically asked if this would work on the Mishimoto Intake and they responded...I don't see anyway possible that I would work no.

Hello Landis,

Thank you for contacting us! 
Our intake will absolutely work with your vehicle.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Best,

Tamir Dagan
Operations Manager
Velossa Tech Engineering Inc.
Hollywood, FL
You are misreading his post. The velossatech intake will work just fine with the mishimoto cold air intake. All it does is help direct more air to the air intake. It does not connect to the intake box in any way. At least not physically. Doesn't matter if you have the AFE intake tube or not it will still work just fine.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've had the first prototype on mine and definitely saw improvements fuel economy wise and just a slight hair on the track. The final piece looks awesome!!
I want to know as a rough idea on how much fuel mileage you did gain with this part. I understand it's going to be a small gain at best but every little bit does count.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
You are misreading his post. The velossatech intake will work just fine with the mishimoto cold air intake. All it does is help direct more air to the air intake. It does not connect to the intake box in any way. At least not physically. Doesn't matter if you have the AFE intake tube or not it will still work just fine.
I hope that is the case! But he does say "It will not work on the Mishimoto airbox."

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I hope that is the case! But he does say "It will not work on the Mishimoto airbox."
The AFE scoop will not work. The velossatech will. If you look at the design of the mishimoto air intake box the little scoop it has still Clips down to the factory position from where the OEM scoop is. It does not go anywhere else. The velossatech bolts under the plastic guard that is above the radiator and connect a more direct air passage from the front of the grill to above that plastic guard. That is all it does. What's it doing such you should be fine with just a velossatech.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
The AFE scoop will not work. The velossatech will. If you look at the design of the mishimoto air intake box the little scoop it has still Clips down to the factory position from where the OEM scoop is. It does not go anywhere else. The velossatech bolts under the plastic guard that is above the radiator and connect a more direct air passage from the front of the grill to above that plastic guard. That is all it does. What's it doing such you should be fine with just a velossatech.
Got it! Thanks for the clarification.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Did they give any indication on when it would be available? Seems promising
Hey, Daniel, it's here! I am not promoting this product, but find it interesting and wanted to share.
SITE NAVIGATION
Account

FordRangerVTBIGMOUTH_480x480.jpg

2019-2020+ FORD RANGER BIG MOUTH RAM AIR INTAKE SNORKEL
  • SALE
  • $129.00
  • Regular price$149.00
  • Starting at $44/mo with Affirm. Prequalify now

BIG MOUTH BODY COLOR* -- Choose BIG MOUTH Body Color --BeigeBlackBlueBright GreenBright YellowBrownDark GreyDark PurpleForest GreenFusciaGoldGreenGreyHot PinkLeaf GreenLight Blue (Grabber Blue/Avery Blue)Molten OrangeNitrous BlueOff WhiteOrangePerformance Blue (Ford)Purple RedSilverVioletWhiteYellow
BIG MOUTH FLARE COLOR* -- Choose BIG MOUTH Flare Color --BeigeBlackBlueBright GreenBright YellowBrownDark GreyDark PurpleForest GreenFusciaGlow in the DarkGoldGreenGreyHot PinkLeaf GreenLight Blue (Grabber Blue/Avery Blue)Molten OrangeNitrous BlueOff WhiteOrangePerformance Blue (Ford)Purple RedSilverVioletWhiteYellow
Default Title - $129.00 USD
QUANTITY
−+
ADD TO CART
Stay up to date with order notifications

Share on Facebook Tweet on TwitterPin on Pinterest
*During testing, we were able to achieve an increase in 2 MPG post-install.*
Looking to increase the performance of your 2019-2020+ Ford Ranger? You're in the right place. The Velossa Tech BIG MOUTH is the go-to mod for any induction setup (works with your stock or aftermarket cold air intake).
The BIG MOUTH was developed for better overall mass air flow for stock, tuned cars or highly modified engines, you also have ability to customize the color of the inlet flare and body. This is truly a unique piece in that it allows you to get the performance benefits of a properly engineered ram duct and have the aesthetic appeal of your liking!!
It will bolt right directly on to the inlet cowl and feed your aftermarket or stock airbox on your 2019-2020+ Ford Ranger, in fact it will greatly improve the performance of your stock or aftermarket intake setup.
Designed in-house right here in the USA with the latest aerospace CFD fluid flow simulation techniques and methods, backed by hours and hours of R&D, fitment testing and real world driving, we are sure you will fall in love with American made quality and engineering.
FEATURES
Maximum performance design, optimized inlet flare and convergent duct
Increase of 2 MPG post-install
28 color options to choose from
All hardware included
Finished smooth, for maximum airflow
OEM fitment
Two layer UV protective coating for sun protection against color fade
No permanent modification necessary
No tune necessary (although beneficial if you tune with the BIG MOUTH)
Made in the USA
HOW IT WORKS
As a car moves through the air, the air pressure directly in front of the bumper increases with the square of speed. The BIG MOUTH is strategically designed and positioned for maximum air pressure recovery. Basically, it feeds your current intake with higher pressure air. It is the same concept as driving below sea level where the air pressure is higher, except you are able to generate higher inlet pressures with a properly design ram duct such as the BIG MOUTH.
Increasing the inlet absolute pressure to your engine has profound effects on performance. Increases in air mass flow, reduction in wastegate duty cycle (for turbo vehicles) and reduced inlet and charge temps are some of the benefits of running a properly designed ram inlet. On top of all that awesome performance comes the BIG MOUTH growl and sinister stare, it sounds and looks great!
CUSTOMIZATION
Want your 2019-2020+ Ford Ranger to stand out? The BIG MOUTH is the only ram air system for the 2019-2020+ Ford Ranger that allows you to choose from over 28 colors for either the body or the flare, giving you the added edge of customization, with hundreds of different variations possible.
INSTALLATION
Installation can be done with basic hand tools. We supply all straight forward color instructions (downloadable below), backed with our Customer Support phone number to help guide if any questions arise. All hardware is always included (if necessary) in our BIG MOUTH Ram Air kits.
NOTE: Rain or snow do not adversely affect the engine once a BIG MOUTH is installed.
When people see that massive inlet flare through the grille, they'll know it's Velossa Tech!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have a hard time believing a simple air scoop will gain 2 MPG. Can anyone explain why that might possibly be true? That is a SIGNIFICANT increase in MPG. I could see maybe 2%, but 2 MPG would be like a 10% gain.

RARE5.0

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew Fx4 1988 Mustang Notch 5.0
I am on the fence about this it only gives 2 more mpg does it give any hp
Sponsored