Using LED to upgrade Halogen HiBeam ONLY?

BRad704

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Senior Product Leader
I'm thinking through headlight upgrades becuase the stock 21 XLT halogens are not great. But I drive mostly always in the city, so I'm not interested in blinding my neighbors everyday.

BUT, would it make sense to use one of the drop-in LED bulbs in the high beam only? that way I will have more light output when I actually need it?

Or is this a dumb idea. Just tell me, I can take it. ;)
Sponsored

WolfgangVTS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I'm thinking through headlight upgrades becuase the stock 21 XLT halogens are not great. But I drive mostly always in the city, so I'm not interested in blinding my neighbors everyday.

BUT, would it make sense to use one of the drop-in LED bulbs in the high beam only? that way I will have more light output when I actually need it?

Or is this a dumb idea. Just tell me, I can take it. ;)
Not dumb at all. That’s how I have my headlights set up. I have PIAA Xtreme White halogens in the lows and Auxito 16,000 lumen leds in the highs. I am super happy with them. I had leds in the lows as well, but the 16,000 lumen leds overpowered the housing and caused way too much glare.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
I replaced my lows, highs and fogs all with LEDs. They look great and I get all the same color temperature. I can see much better down the road with them all, too. I've stood 30 yards out in front of my truck with them all on, as well, and they don't seem anymore glaring than any other headlights I see coming at me every evening.

Gotta get rid of those stupid yellow halogens that come from the factory. I still can't believe Ford lets their vehicles leave their factory with those things in. They look horrible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BRad704

BRad704

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Senior Product Leader
Not dumb at all. That’s how I have my headlights set up. I have PIAA Xtreme White halogens in the lows and Auxito 16,000 lumen leds in the highs. I am super happy with them. I had leds in the lows as well, but the 16,000 lumen leds overpowered the housing and caused way too much glare.
Very cool to know that someone else is already doing this successfully.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I've stood 30 years out in front of my truck with them all on...
Good to know the LEDs have a long life. :wink:
I like the idea of changing out the hibeams.
Any issues with the auto-hibeam coming on and blinding people?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
not a dumb idea, anything that helps you see where you are going is making you safer. i would try doing the bambi mode mod with forescan and see how you like it before switching to led high beams. that way you can run the high beams and the fogs at once instead of just high. it makes a nice difference and likely costs a bit less than good led bulbs. maybe swapping in better halogens also like piaa or one of the premium bulbs.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Good to know the LEDs have a long life. :wink:
I like the idea of changing out the hibeams.
Any issues with the auto-hibeam coming on and blinding people?
Oops... yards.

No issues with the high beams. I live in the city, so my high beams almost never come on, though. They've certainly never come on when a car is actually coming at me. So, on the rare occasion that they HAVE come on, there's no one there to blind.

OP
OP
BRad704

BRad704

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Senior Product Leader
Oops... yards.

No issues with the high beams. I live in the city, so my high beams almost never come on, though. They've certainly never come on when a car is actually coming at me. So, on the rare occasion that they HAVE come on, there's no one there to blind.
I had sorta forgotten about my thread here, until your reply. I just ordered the Auxilito (I think that's the right spelling, but you know what I'm talking about) bulbs for High beam and yellow version for fogs. Not touching the Lows yet, but I do like the previous idea of a nicer white halogen for lows eventually.

WolfgangVTS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I had sorta forgotten about my thread here, until your reply. I just ordered the Auxilito (I think that's the right spelling, but you know what I'm talking about) bulbs for High beam and yellow version for fogs. Not touching the Lows yet, but I do like the previous idea of a nicer white halogen for lows eventually.
Here’s a link to the PIAAs that I have installed in my lows:
Piaa 15211 H11 Xtreme White Plus High Performance Halogen Bulb, (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00067BVKK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X3339KJF8A4JATZ12RT1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure which Auxitos you ordered, but these are the ones I have in my highs and they’re super bright:
AUXITO 9005 LED Bulbs Mini Sized CanBus Ready 80W 16,000LM/Pair, 9005 (HB3) LED Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCSJQYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2W4D69A6SMZG5XGXX9HR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Adjusted correctly (watch this: ) this setup will give you a great amount of light and not be distracting or blinding to oncoming traffic.

I hope some of this helps you. Happy driving.
Sponsored