Use built in nav with Apple Carplay?

wintech

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Passport
When my phone is plugged in for carplay it seems that no matter what it uses the Apple maps for navigation. Even if I hit the sync app to go back to the main sync menu and hit the navigation button, it still goes to Apple maps. Occasionally I am in areas where cell service is spotty and apple maps needs cell service to work properly. Is it possible to force the system to display the built in navigation when carplay is active?
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I use Waze so never bothered with 360 Nav maps. They’re there if I don’t have my phone with me though.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
When my phone is plugged in for carplay it seems that no matter what it uses the Apple maps for navigation. Even if I hit the sync app to go back to the main sync menu and hit the navigation button, it still goes to Apple maps. Occasionally I am in areas where cell service is spotty and apple maps needs cell service to work properly. Is it possible to force the system to display the built in navigation when carplay is active?
Don't believe this is possible on the Sync3 system. Or at least not with the variant on the Ranger.

With Android Auto I just unplug the phone if cell service is bad enough that Google Maps or Wayze loses connection. The Sync system keeps the audio playing over bluetooth but I can now use the Ford nav system, when cell service is restored I just plug the phone back in and it reverts back to AA. This came in handy in the Explorer rental I had when the family and I were in Colorado and would loose cell service driving up in the mountains and to the top of Pike's Peak.

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
I have the same issue but since I'm using the carplay2air adapter along with @DirkM 's wireless charging solution...I can't just unplug the usb cable and go. Only time I've lost cell service was when I went up to Ole Miss for move in day but it was for only a 20 mile radius around Oxford probably caused by the sudden influx of panicky parents.

foxunderhill

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
Occupation
Soldier
I’ve had the same thought, and my solution was two things.
One, to quickly turn off CarPlay in settings, then CarPlay.. We still get Siri, audio with controls, phone calls, but use Ford’s navigation.
The backup is to preload Google Maps onto your phone. I’ve saved the maps for my entire state to the phone, and my CarPlay always has maps, even with no cell service.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
I have the same issue but since I'm using the carplay2air adapter along with @DirkM 's wireless charging solution...I can't just unplug the usb cable and go. Only time I've lost cell service was when I went up to Ole Miss for move in day but it was for only a 20 mile radius around Oxford probably caused by the sudden influx of panicky parents.
I have the same setup, here is my solution. I installed a USB switch and dbl sticky taped it up to the dash above the phone. I can now decide if I want the carplay adapter to be in control or just the car sync without having to try and unplug the carlink adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QTJZD99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_2023.JPG

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
What a cool idea...ordered one today

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
I will plug the iPhone USB cable into the USB ports on the back of the console (LETTER E), no CarPlay!

If you want CarPlay, plug into the ports under the console (LETTER A).

usb.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: