*URGENT* Fuel line removal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger FX4
Alright so try as I may I can't get the 4th coil pack to seat by putting it in sideways under the fuel line and twisting it, and keep getting a misfire rough idle, but my fuel line doesn't have the quick disconnect, can I just pull this off if I tug hard enough or will I break it, how does Ford remove it? The fuel line that is
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Alright so try as I may I can't get the 4th coil pack to seat by putting it in sideways under the fuel line and twisting it, and keep getting a misfire rough idle, but my fuel line doesn't have the quick disconnect, can I just pull this off if I tug hard enough or will I break it, how does Ford remove it? The fuel line that is
One of these most likely. They’ve been around a long time in automotive.

Try switching coil packs. The spring connector on the one that’s failing might work fine with straight insertion. The last one is tricky to navigate around fuel line but can be done. It’s a twist in approach

B705FF7E-0124-4B8A-8BF6-102270AEF2C2.jpeg

OP
OP
GreatWhiteFail
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger FX4
One of these most likely. They’ve been around a long time in automotive.

Try switching coil packs. The spring connector on the one that’s failing might work fine with straight insertion. The last one is tricky to navigate around fuel line but can be done. It’s a twist in approach

B705FF7E-0124-4B8A-8BF6-102270AEF2C2.jpeg
Of course its a one off tool, and I appreciate the advice, unfortunately I've swapped all the coil packs, and they all pretend like they're popping right in but they seat about 1/4 too high, but feel suction to the spark plug, the pack doesn't seat down flush like the other 3 plugs

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Of course its a one off tool, and I appreciate the advice, unfortunately I've swapped all the coil packs, and they all pretend like they're popping right in but they seat about 1/4 too high, but feel suction to the spark plug, the pack doesn't seat down flush like the other 3 plugs
Did you tighten the one screw holding the coil pack on? Mine did the same thing but tightening the screw drew it down tight.

OP
OP
GreatWhiteFail
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger FX4
Did you tighten the one screw holding the coil pack on? Mine did the same thing but tightening the screw drew it down tight.
I did, with every pack I swapped into it's position, and swapped the plugs back out with the old ones just to prove to myself it wasn't the plugs

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I did, with every pack I swapped into it's position, and swapped the plugs back out with the old ones just to prove to myself it wasn't the plugs
As I recall I removed the clip that secured the fuel line to the intake and then I could move it out of the way enough to insert the coil pack over the spark plug. Make sure the spark plug gap is set properly. My new plugs had various gaps.

OP
OP
GreatWhiteFail
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger FX4
I appreciate the help here, I swapped all the coil packs around til one fit, let it run for a minute and seems like it's making contact, but I'll definitely be investing in a set of fuel line tools for next time, the odds of a spark plug change being a 5 minute or 2 hour event because of that last position is worth just removing the fuel line

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I appreciate the help here, I swapped all the coil packs around til one fit, let it run for a minute and seems like it's making contact, but I'll definitely be investing in a set of fuel line tools for next time, the odds of a spark plug change being a 5 minute or 2 hour event because of that last position is worth just removing the fuel line
Glad your back on the road!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Those are not one off tools. Manufacturers have been using those for 30 years or more. You can get them on Amazon for as little as $10. I have the scissor type with 5/16" and 3/8" that I used on my '95 F150 and '99 B4000. Got it at Autozone. I'm not sure of the sizes in new Rangers, but you can get sets that have 1/4" to 7/8" for $10.

Fuel removal tool

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass

So late but I am going in. This is For the 2.3l Ranger. Not only is it a one off tool, it is a special Ford tool that is short enough to fit between the line and the housing of the HPFP. a reg disconnect tool won't fit . look up CTA tool 1810 or Ford 310-250 tool. about $15 on amazon. So if you ever need to do the last injector or HPFP, you will need that Specific tool. I tried to trim a Plastic Ring tool and modify it to fit. Nope, Doesn't work. Also you might need to remove the bracket, sensor, and Insulator from the HPFP to even disconnect the line.

Basically they make it so you have to buy a bunch of stuff or go out or your way for regular maintenance. Thank the A tier Engineers for not thinking about you. I put a 90 degree elbow kit on mine so I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Sponsored

Last edited: