First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
So update on the catch can from UPR Products. First off want to state they are some of the nicest people over there and very educated guys over there, especially Steve. Currently the first one to be running the UPR Dual Valve Catch Can set up. Also using their oil cap breather too. Very high quality products and ended up getting some stuff also for my race car too. Love how clean the install is, they will be making this kit plug and play to an extent. To install this you will need to be some what mechanically inclined, need to tap into the intake tube and also running the line for the intake is a little tricky; the driver side wheel needs to be removed. But all in all it’s great kit and would highly recommend buying a kit from UPR. First kit is being sent out soon. — at UPR Products.

9ACCDC19-F943-4DBD-8C96-1E2ACA8EB6CB.jpeg

C63FED8D-1289-4967-A037-BE2D52261DB8.jpeg

F69C8903-4159-4CCD-BADD-7F4256F67BE6.jpeg

E0D0D6DF-721C-4602-9D7F-D4C657FDBCF6.jpeg

E1C30BAB-DAF0-4305-965B-A395BF8EC147.jpeg

6F1BA422-56E3-488C-914C-B111B0216D7C.jpeg

4E12C952-E16A-4A94-9F9B-6A90400CD390.jpeg

45C7EEF7-CB29-4F29-B296-EE76B4CB2271.jpeg

0682B9EC-FE96-4E48-B23D-1A89AFA7FEB2.jpeg
Sponsored

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm excited and can't wait to install mine. I've been trying to get them to make us a kit for a while but im far from local to them. I really appreciate you going to UPR and letting them get their hands in our platform.
Keep us updated on what your can collects. I currently have the Mishimoto can on my truck that only collects from the CCV using the intake manifold as the point of vacuum. The issue with that is when driving we rarely have vacuum in our intake manifolds since we are turbocharged. With the dual valve set ups we will be able to pull vacuum from the pre-turbo inlet tube while under boost which means way more opportunities to collect.

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
13k miles on my Ranger running E85 and I run it hard.....and have seen zero signs of oil anywhere in my intake system. My Ecoboost Mustang definitely needed it, Not completely sold on needing it for the Ranger.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I bought one of the first Ranger catch cans from UPR last October. A pain to put in, one of their guys wound up getting that damn manifold connection hooked up after I failed repeatedly. Now that they've advanced the catch can technology I wonder what it would take to upgrade to this. There is an extra port on the side of mine, it looks like all that is needed is a vacuum line from the intake? There is already a hard line running from the intake running around the front of the motor and past where the UPR can mounts. Is there a check valve on the intake manifold side they tapped? I notice neg pressure sometimes when I'm using the SCT BDX box as a supplemental gauge.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
13k miles on my Ranger running E85 and I run it hard.....and have seen zero signs of oil anywhere in my intake system. My Ecoboost Mustang definitely needed it, Not completely sold on needing it for the Ranger.
E85 is cheap, under boost gives a nice (noticeable?) performance increase. The ethanol is going to put more water through and I presume that's going to pick up God knows what. I don't think you'd be able to see significant deposits on the valve stems for the first 40,000 miles... warranties you know?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Sooooooo........... Its cool to have that catch can but you need to change your breather back to the original oil cap...... Why you might ask? That breather is causing a lean condition and in time will cause a lean code to pop up. Figured I would tell you now before you run into problems.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Sooooooo........... Its cool to have that catch can but you need to change your breather back to the original oil cap...... Why you might ask? That breather is causing a lean condition and in time will cause a lean code to pop up. Figured I would tell you now before you run into problems.
Glad you spoke up, that breather in that dirty engine compartment was giving me anxiety. I remember other catch can conversations challenging the vented versions.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Glad you spoke up, that breather in that dirty engine compartment was giving me anxiety. I remember other catch can conversations challenging the vented versions.
You can still have a catch can, just wouldnt recommend removing the oil filler cap and placing a breather on it. I have see a missing oil cap cause a lean code and a breather can do the same thing.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
You can still have a catch can, just wouldnt recommend removing the oil filler cap and placing a breather on it. I have see a missing oil cap cause a lean code and a breather can do the same thing.
I ran a breather cap from CFM for exactly one day. Left a huge oily mess under my hood and I immediately uninstalled it. But im also one of the people that has the fuel in oil problem pretty bad. Just did my second oil change and sent another analysis to Blackstone. Oil sample smelled 100% like gas. But Ford has informed me its normal and my truck is working as designed sooooo lol

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm not a fan of breathers either, on modern motors.

But one thing to keep in mind is some of the breathers (not sure if this applies to UPR) are designed with a check valve in them and they only vent in the event the crankcase experiences positive pressure.

More here ---> CFM Performance valve cover breathers

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

But one thing to keep in mind is some of the breathers (not sure if this applies to UPR) are designed with a check valve in them and they only vent in the event the crankcase experiences positive pressure.

I used this on my Mazdaspeed 3 and there were no issues.

OP
OP
Georgeacosta_

Georgeacosta_

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor

It has a built in check valve
Sponsored