Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As of lately, when I unlock the truck (2019 XLT) and open the door, the center stack gives the warning "System Off to Save Battery". Upon inserting the key, the chime only comes from the instrument cluster, and the radio is turned off.

I have not made any changes to anything, only recently changing the oil and rotating the tires. The AS/S hasnt engaged in a long time because I have not driven long enough distances to charge the battery. I have not checked the battery to see if its weak but I will tonight.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this ?

TIA
I had this problem when I first got my 19 XLT. Two days of not driving it the battery is dead. It's called a parasitic draw. I lost the controls on the steering wheel. Jumpstart would work and the car truck would drive every day but if I went to days without a drive it was dead. You can test the voltage every 12 hours. It turned out to be a bad PCM module. I called it a clock spring in an earlier post, but I'm not sure that it was exactly the same thing.
Take pictures and videos and when you go to the dealership you let them know what's going on. They have to test it all the way through. I had to leave mine on overnight so that they could see that it was a parasitic draw.
Six weeks for them to fix it because they did one little thing at a time and did not test from one point to the other.
.First they replace the controls on the right hand side of the steering wheel then the next time they had to replace the controls on the left-hand side is steering wheel then they had to test for parasitic draw and they had to leave it overnight so that they could see by morning that it had dropped voltage that it should not have been dropped. Everything supposed to shut down within two hours I believe it is. Then I had to wait for them to order the BCM module. Blah blah blah blah blah. Good luck with this hopefully my headache will save you a headache.

PS I speak my text and if anything looks retarded just try phonetics the sometimes I just get tired of going back and correct in Siri. If it's something you really can't understand let me know I'll fix it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The system automatically goes into deep sleep when the battery is low, either drive it more or keep it on a trickle charger.
It should not need a trickle charger at all. It is doesn't go into a deep sleep but as you read my previous reply to the OP, it's probably a parasitic draw.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It should not need a trickle charger at all. It is doesn't go into a deep sleep but as you read my previous reply to the OP, it's probably a parasitic draw.
Actually it does go into deep sleep mode after 14 days of sitting. :) I was away for 17 days over Christmas that year and it went into deep sleep mode and I received the notification on my phone.

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 3.18.29 PM.jpg

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
The Ranger has several 'keep Alive' circuits that draw power at all times, normally 2 weeks or so at the default battery 75% SOC will put the vehicle to sleep, which turns off most of them. The only reason to keep a Gel battery at 75% SOC is to maximize battery life..... read save warranty money.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Actually it does go into deep sleep mode after 14 days of sitting. :)

Well, shame on me! I think I had that mixed up with how the electric shuts off after two hours, like my radar detector plugged into the 12 V outlet. The funny thing is sometimes it shuts off sooner.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger has several 'keep Alive' circuits that draw power at all times, normally 2 weeks or so at the default battery 75% SOC will put the vehicle to sleep, which turns off most of them. The only reason to keep a Gel battery at 75% SOC is to maximize battery life..... read save warranty money.
I hang my head in shame at being mistaken.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well, shame on me! I think I had that mixed up with how the electric shuts off after two hours, like my radar detector plugged into the 12 V outlet. The funny thing is sometimes it shuts off sooner.
I got a battery maintainer because there are times mine will sit for 3-4 days without driving it. I'd rather be safe than sorry and just connect it and it's easy as I added a longer lead to the battery so now I don't even have to open the hood.

IIRC the 12v plugs shut down after 20 minutes. ?‍♂

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I got a battery maintainer because there are times mine will sit for 3-4 days without driving it. I'd rather be safe than sorry and just connect it and it's easy as I added a longer lead to the battery so now I don't even have to open the hood.

IIRC the 12v plugs shut down after 20 minutes. ?‍♂
Yeah, but some days it's just too much ...:confused:
1633992227484.png

:crackup:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Actually it does go into deep sleep mode after 14 days of sitting. :) I was away for 17 days over Christmas that year and it went into deep sleep mode and I received the notification on my phone.

"Big Junk" :LOL:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I work at home so don't drive much, and even when I go out I don't drive long distance. I don't think I've gone 17 days yet without driving, but close. My truck is also new, purchased in March though it's a 2020. I've not had any issues with the battery, yet.

I'm eventually going to change the battery charge setting in fordscan, but haven't yet, and I don't yet think I need a trickle charger, but that may come, too.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
if you're my dealer, they have this magic box that tells them that the battery is fine and that it's my add ons that are killing it (trigger 4 pack)
I dont think the warranty is very long on a battery....probably less than the windshield crack warranty.
Some dont need a magical box, they just see the add on and know that is the problem. Until you pull out a load tester and show them.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
When using a battery charger, connect the negative cable to a ground. Don’t connect it to the negative battery post.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Ever since I disabled A/S/S with forscan my battery has been at 14v when running. I think somehow battery management got disabled too even though I know for sure I didn’t mess with that. Is it bad my battery is constantly at 14v when running?
Sponsored