TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Hey everyone,

I'm looking if anyone knows of any longer dirt roads in MA/NH/VT that are open to the public. I am not a member of any off road clubs and don't know of anywhere to go where I can turn on 4x4 and test it out. My truck is stock so I wouldn't be going out on a difficult adventure. I obviously do not want to go on private property or anywhere I am not wanted. If anyone can steer me in a direction, I appreciate it!
Sponsored

lobsta11

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 magnetic grey, 302A & tech pkg. 2019 is gone. XLT super cab, ingot silver, 302a, tow & tech packages
Many years ago I took my motorcycle on Rte 62 from Bedford west until it petered out into a dirt road in the Berkshires. I think if you head out to the western part of the state you will find a lot of roads like that.
Good Luck
Al

OP
OP
TJMarchand

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many years ago I took my motorcycle on Rte 62 from Bedford west until it petered out into a dirt road in the Berkshires. I think if you head out to the western part of the state you will find a lot of roads like that.
Good Luck
Al
Good idea! I might find a day to drive to the end of Rt 2. and see if there's anything out there towards New York.

robear14

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm very curious about this too. I made an account on where2wheel.com to look at the map a few weeks ago, but honestly haven't explored it much.
I got my truck a month ago and have only driven in 4x4 twice - once in a snowstorm (and it worked very well) and another time when I tried driving it in the snow in my front yard. I actually managed to get it stuck on a slight incline a few feet from making it back to the driveway. It got itself unstuck when I turned on the trail control and set the speed to 1MPH.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Check the Gazetteer for NH, should have a bunch of dirt roads marked. Many in the WMNF are seasonal. If you want a fun little road, take Sandwich Notch road. Maine has thousands of miles of logging roads, many of them converted to snowmobile trails and some have been abondoned. Still can drive on them since the paper companies share their land with the public.

OP
OP
TJMarchand

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check the Gazetteer for NH, should have a bunch of dirt roads marked. Many in the WMNF are seasonal. If you want a fun little road, take Sandwich Notch road. Maine has thousands of miles of logging roads, many of them converted to snowmobile trails and some have been abondoned. Still can drive on them since the paper companies share their land with the public.
This is perfect. Thank you!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Any good dirt roads in eastern MA?
Look for power lines. Terrains are rocky but still passable. Lots of them all over the place. Still some fire roads here and there. Do a search and see what pops up

passaloutre

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
The power line trails I remember as a kid were all gated off. Good for 4 wheelers/dirt bikes, hard to get a truck in...

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Google maps using satellite view?

Last edited:

Mcssls

By the title I saw Nebraska. I was gonna say if you can’t find a dirt road you’re kinda speshul

OP
OP
TJMarchand

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The power line trails I remember as a kid were all gated off. Good for 4 wheelers/dirt bikes, hard to get a truck in...
My experience as well, there's several down the Cape I've seen that are blocked off always.
By the title I saw Nebraska. I was gonna say if you can’t find a dirt road you’re kinda speshul
Ha! I meant New England, but I'm in agreement.