Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The past couple of errands I've driven my Ranger out for, I've felt and heard not-so-good noises from my brakes. It sounds like one of them is dragging while not under braking, and upon applying the brakes I can feel some sort of grinding and it's getting worse. It "feels" and sounds like the passenger rear wheel, but we'll see. If it stops raining here all the time in GA maybe I'll get an opportunity to investigate it! But upon a quick visual inspection (quick, in the rain) there seems to be plenty of brake pad left on the right rear. Fingers crossed I've got some mud into the works and it dried and hardened up, and I can just simply clean it out.

Anybody else experience anything like this?
Sponsored

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The past couple of errands I've driven my Ranger out for, I've felt and heard not-so-good noises from my brakes. It sounds like one of them is dragging while not under braking, and upon applying the brakes I can feel some sort of grinding and it's getting worse. It "feels" and sounds like the passenger rear wheel, but we'll see. If it stops raining here all the time in GA maybe I'll get an opportunity to investigate it! But upon a quick visual inspection (quick, in the rain) there seems to be plenty of brake pad left on the right rear. Fingers crossed I've got some mud into the works and it dried and hardened up, and I can just simply clean it out.

Anybody else experience anything like this?
Hopefully someone will have a solution or a response that can take care of this with ease. When it comes to anything safety related, I do not hesitate to take my vehicle in to the dealership or a trusted mechanic. Our lives and the lives of our families and our friends and those other drivers and pedestrians trust us and our vehicles to be safe and trustworthy.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully someone will have a solution or a response that can take care of this with ease. When it comes to anything safety related, I do not hesitate to take my vehicle in to the dealership or a trusted mechanic. Our lives and the lives of our families and our friends and those other drivers and pedestrians trust us and our vehicles to be safe and trustworthy.
Right now I'm not too concerned about safety issues as brake function and feel is optimal. Right now I'm just experiencing NVH.

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
At 19,000 km on my '20 Ranger and ive had my rear pads/rotos and calipers replaced at the dealership under warranty. I never noticed any sort of issue other then the odd bit of squealing when braking, but the dealer said that the passenger side rear caliper was half seized. They replaced pads/rotors and calipers on both sides and ive noticed the same squealing noise starting from the passenger side rear again. I've put about 6000km on it since. It goes in for an oil change in a week and I will report back what the dealer says.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
I've had it happen a few times on my track car, stuck rear caliper slide pin will roast the inner pad. It will squeak and grind while driving and get worse on brake application. Outer pad will normally still have meat on them but the inner will be down to the backing plate.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
When I had my Honda I used to pull the caliper off and hose everything with brake cleaner and then relubricate the clips, pins, and back of the pads when it was time for a tire rotation. It helped everything function a little longer on the salt encrusted roads of NY.

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
Not a Ranger, but my lightning had a similar issue.
From a glance looked like the pad/rotor in front of the wheel was fine so i went "mustve been dirt/sand/rock and moved on.

Long story short, it was the pad on the inside of the rotor which had worn way faster than the outer pad and had wore itself into the rotor.

Of course those wheels i can fit my hand through, on my Tremor i probably cant, so if you need to take off the wheel i would, set up an umbrella and check it out. Gettin wet is a lot better than ruining your rotor or worse.
Hopefully like you said its sand or mud.

forgot to add in earlier, do you have a smell from the brakes at all after you get out?

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not a Ranger, but my lightning had a similar issue.
From a glance looked like the pad/rotor in front of the wheel was fine so i went "mustve been dirt/sand/rock and moved on.

Long story short, it was the pad on the inside of the rotor which had worn way faster than the outer pad and had wore itself into the rotor.

Of course those wheels i can fit my hand through, on my Tremor i probably cant, so if you need to take off the wheel i would, set up an umbrella and check it out. Gettin wet is a lot better than ruining your rotor or worse.
Hopefully like you said its sand or mud.

forgot to add in earlier, do you have a smell from the brakes at all after you get out?
No smell of brakes. I can't wait until I get some time to pull the wheel and inspect the backside of the rotor/caliper. I'm hoping it's just dirt or something. I'm really hoping I don't have a frozen caliper or slider!

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No smell of brakes. I can't wait until I get some time to pull the wheel and inspect the backside of the rotor/caliper. I'm hoping it's just dirt or something. I'm really hoping I don't have a frozen caliper or slider!
Let us know how this turns out.

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
My truck also has a sequel from the rear passenger side brake. Notice it mostly at very low speeds coming to a stop, such as parking in a garage. Took it to a Ford dealership to look at this and the TSB for spongy break pedal. They did not hear anything or seem to want to do anything to the truck. Deaf and Dumb...two out of three so I did not argue with them. Will have to jack it up remove the wheel and look at it myself.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2021-08-14 14.57.43.jpg

2021-08-14 14.57.49.jpg

At least it's not axle grease! I blasted out the rear driver side caliper with the pressure washer and it sounds a little better. I need to do the passenger side later. I ended up starting with the driver rear because I crawled under the truck and saw what you see in the photo above.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't get me started on rain. My garage is scheduled for install this week and "FRED" needs to take his ass back into the ocean once he is done with Florida.
Fred is screwing with the new roof that supposed to be installed on my house! Arghhhh!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
John,

I hope it’s not a stuck piston or corroded slider - had that on my ‘01 - tried to rebuild it to no avail, kept bugging the bejeezus out of me. Drove me batty because you can only get to it when the planets align. I hope you resolve it soon and that it’s as simple as something embedded in your pad and that your rotor is still fine.

?
Sponsored