First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
A friend recommended a u bolt flip kit to lower the chances of damage/hangups on the u bolt bottom attachment to the rear axle. I don't see any flip kits for the Ranger (most being Taco or Jeep).

Doing some research, it looks like we have a Dana44 Advantek Rear with ~80mm overall outer diameter and ~2.25" wide springs (I need to confirm my measurements) so a set of bolts and plates like these should work. Our bumps are already mounted on the frame so that shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/UB325.html
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2033.html

Is anyone else considering this?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
A friend recommended a u bolt flip kit to lower the chances of damage/hangups on the u bolt bottom attachment to the rear axle. I don't see any flip kits for the Ranger (most being Taco or Jeep).

Doing some research, it looks like we have a Dana44 Advantek Rear with ~80mm overall outer diameter and ~2.25" wide springs (I need to confirm my measurements) so a set of bolts and plates like these should work. Our bumps are already mounted on the frame so that shouldn't be an issue.

Following !

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That seems so statistically unlikely (a clearance problem limited specifically to a couple of bolts in two spots on the truck) as to be a waste of time to try to mitigate.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

It's a Dana M220, I don't think they use the 30, 35, 44, 60, specification very much anymore. It's essentially the same rear axle that is in the JL Rubicon except for gearing.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That seems so statistically unlikely (a clearance problem limited specifically to a couple of bolts in two spots on the truck) as to be a waste of time to try to mitigate.
Nothing is a waste of time, that’s how we learn, look at the stock euro models..they have a flipped rear axles to almost slam it..stock from Ford.
Regards

Check out @Hansgti

Last edited:

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
The shock mounts are lower on the axle than the u-bolts. I don't see the effort to do this as beneficial. Unless youd rather damage the shock mount than a u-bolt ?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The shock mounts are lower on the axle than the u-bolts. I don't see the effort to do this as beneficial. Unless youd rather damage the shock mount than a u-bolt ?
Yes, some R&D is necessary. My truck will be available to various suspension companies just for this and/or coil overs. Awaiting email as we speak.
Regards

Last edited:
OP
OP

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Agreed, it does seem like that'd be more of an issue and far more effort to change...

OP
OP

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Doing some more research the reasoning I found is that the shock mounts are stronger while the u bolt plates can be cracked much more easily and if a shock mount breaks you can still drive home whereas you're not going anywhere with an axle detached from the leaf spring.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That's just silly. Sometimes something needs to be tried to see if it works, sometimes you can just look at it.
Thanks for your Input !
Regards

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
European Version from previous thread.

20190829_135925.jpg
I think you're misunderstanding the idea. It's not to flip the axle, it's to relocate the ends of the u-bolt from the down to up. This is not related to lowering.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I think you're misunderstanding the idea. It's not to flip the axle, it's to relocate the ends of the u-bolt from the down to up. This is not related to lowering.
OK Thanks, I assumed you all were talking about an axle Flip. Sorry bout that !
Regards

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Doing some more research the reasoning I found is that the shock mounts are stronger while the u bolt plates can be cracked much more easily and if a shock mount breaks you can still drive home whereas you're not going anywhere with an axle detached from the leaf spring.
Have you actually looked at that assembly? You'd need to shear off multiple bolts and/or break through multiple discrete metal bits before things fall apart. The odds of that happening without breaking anything else seem really low. The odds that some third party will come up with a solution to that unicorn failure and test their solution at least as well as Ford has tested theirs seem even lower.
Sponsored