Two questions - radio and overhead

jgrease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I just recently got my Ranger XL, and I had a couple of questions since I have what appears to be an extremely base model:
-The radio: can I replace it with one of the touchscreen models? I'm sure it's got to be VIN-specific, and I've seen some replacements on eBay. Does anyone know if they work? Or can I maybe do it as a dealer-installed option through a dealership?
-The overhead console: mine doesn't even have a glasses holder. Is there a replacement part I can order to pop out the existing one and install a new one?
I hope these don't sound too silly - I'm fairly car savvy, but I can't find much of anything online. Thanks in advance.
John
Sponsored

foulmouf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Cab STX Fx4
I would think you could put pretty much any radio in one of these but I'm not sure if Ford has some specific extra requirements for their Sync 3 units. I bought an XL and asked a dealer about that option back in January and they told me I'd have to get a higher trim for Sync 3. But, they barely knew anything about the Ranger at all so they could have been wrong. Personally, I'd rather go for something like this than a Sync 3 anyhow. I don't have one of these but I plan on getting it, or something similar, for my 2010 Mazda3 at some point in the future. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qQrZDCT9Zdm/p_500ILX107/Alpine-iLX-107.html

OP
OP

jgrease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thanks for the response - I was already looking at that idea. Crutchfield hasn't gotten mounting brackets for the Ranger yet apparently. I'm also wondering if you retain the back-up camera functionality if you go third-party. That tiny screen is killing me.

foulmouf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Cab STX Fx4
That unit has backup camera input. I've not touched a radio in a car for 15 years so I'm out of the loop but I'd assume that those are standardized and the current camera will just plug into the back of that unit.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
You can definitely swap in Syn 3, many have done it on other models. That said, you may have much better luck with something from Crutchfield. You will need to use Forscan to change the vin on the APIM, and hope that the rest of the stuff "works". I'm also guessing there is a different plastic dash kit that you would need. After all is said and done, you could have had the best Kenwood touchscreen backup camera whatever on the Crutchfield site with installation :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This place offers upgrades to the 8" screen, however it doesn't appear they have one for the Ranger yet:

https://www.4dtech.com/navigation/8inchretrofit

And it is pretty spendy. I think you'd be better off doing an aftermarket unit installed locally. It would probably be cheaper and you might even get some additional functionality.

OP
OP

jgrease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm definitely going to have to go aftermarket. No way am I dropping $1800 just to have similar functionality. Thanks for the link.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently got my Ranger XL, and I had a couple of questions since I have what appears to be an extremely base model:
-The radio: can I replace it with one of the touchscreen models? I'm sure it's got to be VIN-specific, and I've seen some replacements on eBay. Does anyone know if they work? Or can I maybe do it as a dealer-installed option through a dealership?
-The overhead console: mine doesn't even have a glasses holder. Is there a replacement part I can order to pop out the existing one and install a new one?
I hope these don't sound too silly - I'm fairly car savvy, but I can't find much of anything online. Thanks in advance.
John
Overhead console, not really enough room to hold sunglasses but here's the info.

upload_2019-5-7_9-44-10.png

OP
OP

jgrease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thanks for that link - I was looking on that website and I must not have searched for it properly. I can't understand how Ford didn't see fit to put a console with a glasses holder in the XL.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that link - I was looking on that website and I must not have searched for it properly. I can't understand how Ford didn't see fit to put a console with a glasses holder in the XL.
Yea takes a while to find certain things on the parts site.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
does the headliner on the XL look the same so that the piece shown above should be able to pop into place?
I have an XL on order, and would like some overhead storage as well, but haven't spent enough time inside any models to know the differences in the headliner....

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
does the headliner on the XL look the same so that the piece shown above should be able to pop into place?
I have an XL on order, and would like some overhead storage as well, but haven't spent enough time inside any models to know the differences in the headliner....
I'm not sure, I just did a generic 2019 Ford Ranger search and this is the Console that came up. parts.ford.com is the site
My first post was of the Clips, dang they want some $$$ for certain parts. Lol.

upload_2019-5-9_11-5-13.png

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I'm not sure, I just did a generic 2019 Ford Ranger search and this is the Console that came up. parts.ford.com is the site
My first post was of the Clips, dang they want some $$$ for certain parts. Lol.

upload_2019-5-9_11-5-13.png
dang, for that price I might have to hold my breath till the aftermarket comes out with some sort of overhead storage console.

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
I have pulled everything out and i don't know the answer yet. There is room for sure. Metra will eventually have something. I spent 10 years in the car audio industry. I don't know how the rear cam and sensors tie in. Im in the middle of turning a 1 day install into a 1 month install so i will eventually have insight.

OP
OP

jgrease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The more I look at the diagram the more I don't think it will work without cutting something. The console in my truck right now looks shorter. Ugh. Such a simple thing - why did Ford not just put the same one in every truck?
Sponsored