Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
20191019_171620.jpg
20191019_171636.jpg
Dearborn is there a problem?

The oem16" wheel put on today to gain some sidewall to compensate for the rough ride. Went to put on the center caps bought from a fellow Ranger 5G er that arrived today and what do I see. 17" on the passenger and 18" on the driver.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
20191019_171620.jpg
20191019_171636.jpg
Dearborn is there a problem?

The oem16" wheel put on today to gain some sidewall to compensate for the rough ride. Went to put on the center caps bought from a fellow Ranger 5G er that arrived today and what do I see. 17" on the passenger and 18" on the driver.
Holy Crap !

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Probably a plant code?

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
I am much less worried about it. Good guidance suggested by @Pioneer74 .

Getting the 16's and the taller sidewalls in tire that suits my needs made me feel like this is the truck i wanted. Maybe not the value of other mid size offerings but definitely a better truck for me now that I have acceptable ride quality. The mountains are in my future for me in this truck; something that I could not have said prior to the upgraded shocks and sidewall increases that all came to full fruition today. I almost smiled today for the first time when I was able to turn around at an impassable section by driving/climbing out of the trial bed and turning around with my Ranger where I would have had to back down the hill in my Colorado. Had the wife and the dog with me or i might have given more consideration toward trying to make it through.

Anyway; my apologies to Dearborn for the mo$t part; more importantly to the board for the alarmism.

I think I may be getting closer to my first comfortable Ranger smile. Forscan to calibrate odometer is on the way.

Better than the Colorado I owned: check. Better than my wife's Canyon:check. Bettter than all the rest of the mid sizer's: check.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@P. A. Schilke

Phil what are your thoughts?

Perhaps the answer to the ride quality issues.
Hi,

I think this is a coincidence. It is likely a tooling cavity indicator that can be used to radar in on a problem with the tooling if it occurs. Or as indicated it could be a date code, but I doubt that. Never heard of axles keyed to wheel diameter. I highly doubt the axle knows what wheel it will see at the assembly plant:)

By the way....Folks will be seeing little of me anymore...I am stepping away from the Forums as it becomes more about mods on the Ranger and I have other fish to fry now... I will check in from time to time and one of the moderators will text me if he thinks I can provide useful info... Good luck to All forum members!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
16” is the way to go. Everyone wants these giant wheels and no sidewall nowadays. I don’t get it.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
16” is the way to go. Everyone wants these giant wheels and no sidewall nowadays. I don’t get it.
On the 2WD the 17" tire has about 5-1/2" of sidewall
The 16" tire has exactly 1/2" more.
Negligible difference in ride , especially since tire pressure is adjustable.

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Makes a big difference with the right tire: 265 75 16 Gooodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT did the trick for me everything else being equal. In my experience the same diameter tire with a 1" smaller wheel has produced noticeable positive results when well mated with the tire. One exception might be going to an AT tire from a highway or all season tire.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Hi,

I think this is a coincidence. It is likely a tooling cavity indicator that can be used to radar in on a problem with the tooling if it occurs. Or as indicated it could be a date code, but I doubt that. Never heard of axles keyed to wheel diameter. I highly doubt the axle knows what wheel it will see at the assembly plant:)

By the way....Folks will be seeing little of me anymore...I am stepping away from the Forums as it becomes more about mods on the Ranger and I have other fish to fry now... I will check in from time to time and one of the moderators will text me if he thinks I can provide useful info... Good luck to All forum members!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Wish you weren't going, Phil. You have been a valuable asset to this forum and you will be missed.
Sponsored