A_Jake_Life

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 in hot pepper red.
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
In the past I've had either a loud truck or car. My past car was a heavily built 94 twin turbo stealth. You could hear the turbos spool from a mile away, and the whistle at idle. I'm looking to see if it's possible to recreate that with the Ranger. Has anyone installed hard pipes/intakes/high flow cats and so on that helps the ranger turbo be heard more?

TLDR: Who here has a Ranger with a loud turbo whistle/spool?
Sponsored

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Our stock turbos are too small. I have a dp installed, definitely made the spool a bit louder but not what you’re looking for. When funds are available I’ll be putting in a Borla exhaust. @Andy had both a dp and exhaust so he can chime in on how the spool sounds

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
We'll need a straight pipe to hear the turbo...
And by straight pipe, you mean straight from the downpipe to the air. :) Had a straight piped focus st for a minute, still barely any turbo.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
And by straight pipe, you mean straight from the downpipe to the air. :) Had a straight piped focus st for a minute, still barely any turbo.
Yes...zero mufflers/resonators...if that doesn't work, then go cat-less:)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yes...zero mufflers/resonators...if that doesn't work, then go cat-less:)
I'm meaning Downpipe to nothing, no catback at all. My Focus had a catless ATP downpipe too. Basically silent except on initial throttle input and then just fart noise. No whistle :(

Bigger turbo would be needed.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Downpipe with open exhaust did make for some more spooling noise from the exhaust but not the engine bay. Downpipe with the Ford Performance exhaust sounded nice in terms of tone/volume and you could hear the turbine chopping exhaust on idle but it wasn’t what you would expect from something like a 6.0 power stoke with exhaust. That engine is the turbo whistle champion.

They way I found more turbo “air noise” is from the charge pipes I installed. That is where I noticed the most change in turbo sounds from the driver seat.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
something like a 6.0 power stoke with exhaust. That engine is the turbo whistle champion.
I had an 07 F-250 with the 6.0 and LOVED the turbo whistle....to bad they had crappy head bolts :frown:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had an 07 F-250 with the 6.0 and LOVED the turbo whistle....to bad they had crappy head bolts :frown:
Lot of folks at Navistar lost their jobs on the 6.0l debacle, including the Director of Quality. First engines could not even hold oil as the pan gasket was incompletely designed and an area of the pan was not even sealed. The Navistar 7.3l was bulletproof! 6.0l was a big mess...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Yeah that along with, oil cooler issues, EGR, injectors, pressure sensors, ect. Hah. Still have one that’s running fine at 260k miles. Replaced the oil cooler and did an egr delete along with an injector control module. To bad it was released in such a poor way. Could of been a good engine.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I had a VW diesel turbo that didn't make any whistle after a complete straight pipe. Turns out that the air intake filter had a lot to do with the noise. Ditching the air box and installing a cone filter helped tremendously.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that along with, oil cooler issues, EGR, injectors, pressure sensors, ect. Hah. Still have one that’s running fine at 260k miles. Replaced the oil cooler and did an egr delete along with an injector control module. To bad it was released in such a poor way. Could of been a good engine.
Hi Andy,

Agreed! On paper, a kick ass motor...on execution...a POS!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rangerado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350
Occupation
Harvester of Pain
Vehicle Showcase
I had a VW diesel turbo that didn't make any whistle after a complete straight pipe. Turns out that the air intake filter had a lot to do with the noise. Ditching the air box and installing a cone filter helped tremendously.

This. The whistle is the sound of compression. I’d never put a cone filter on a vehicle intended for off roading, though. Dust nightmare.

A snorkel can make the turbo whistle more evident by relocating the inlet to the area outside your passenger window.
Sponsored