First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I know nothing about tuning, an as much abut computers for that fact. Seems like everyone on here is an expert. So I'll be the idiot...Tuners...(apparently not FM/AM)
How do you do it, can a regular Joe do it, how much does it cost?...etc.
Somebody wanna explain the basics? I know it's getting into the computer and screwing stuff up so it never runs right again and leaves Ford an out when you blow it up!
But if I wanted said increased torque(mostly for wheelin') and HP, easier to buy it from Rousch or Ford an have "my guys" do it, or is it a learnable item? I was a mechanic before computers so...
Sponsored

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Writing the tune would take a lot of understanding of the vehicle and the software. Not something that just anyone can do or learn to do quickly.

So you basically have a few options. Tuning through Ford, tuning from one of the online shops (Livernois, 5star, etc) or going to a performance tuning shop and having them do it in person. I would say the first two are the way to go. If you buy a tune from someone online they will either sent it preloaded on a device or if you have the device they will email it to you, you upload it on the device and then install it onto your ECU. I've only done it on my F250 when I had it and I'm sure it's basically the same. You plug the tuning device into your OBD port and follow the prompts, takes about 10 minutes.

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Installing a purchased tune? It is pretty easy, basically plug the device in under the dash and follow the steps on the device.
I want it specifically to get more umph when the bigger tires go on.
Thanks for the input.?

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Writing the tune would take a lot of understanding of the vehicle and the software. Not something that just anyone can do or learn to do quickly.

So you basically have a few options. Tuning through Ford, tuning from one of the online shops (Livernois, 5star, etc) or going to a performance tuning shop and having them do it in person. I would say the first two are the way to go. If you buy a tune from someone online they will either sent it preloaded on a device or if you have the device they will email it to you, you upload it on the device and then install it onto your ECU. I've only done it on my F250 when I had it and I'm sure it's basically the same. You plug the tuning device into your OBD port and follow the prompts, takes about 10 minutes.
I'll

I think the preloaded sounds safer. But that means I need to buy a "device"? Like a Forscan (whatever that is, only seen pics)or a laptop?
Since I don't know what I'm doing I could really mess things up. Freaks me out a bit.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Having it done in person, on a dyno, is the way to go. Especially if you have mods done. However, a bone stock truck would do just fine with an OTS tune.
OTS Definition?

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
With the Livernois tune you will get 5 tunes from them.
87-89 soft shift & performance tune
91-93 soft shift & performance tune
tow tune

Very easy to instal yourself and they will help walk you through any questions or issues. You will need a Windows PC as they don't support Mac. Once you buy your tuner (MyCal) box you follow the instructions they send you and upload your stock tune from your Ranger which is just plugging it into the ODB port. Then you connect it to your PC and download their software, upload your stock tune to them. In about 1-2 days you will receive all 5 tunes from them so just connect the MyCal back to your PC and download the tunes, hook it back up to the ODB port and on the screen you can chose which tune you want to run by touching it. It only takes about 2-3 minutes to flash the tune.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631157

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
With the Livernois tune you will get 5 tunes from them.
87-89 soft shift & performance tune
91-93 soft shift & performance tune
tow tune

Very easy to instal yourself and they will help walk you through any questions or issues. You will need a Windows PC as they don't suppler Mac. Once you buy your tuner (MyCal) box you follow the instructions they send you and upload your stock tune from your Ranger which is just plugging it into the ODB port. Then you connect it to your PC and download their software, upload your stock tune to them. In about 1-2 days you will receive all 5 tunes from them so just connect the MyCal back to your PC and download the tunes, hook it back up to the ODB port and on the screen you can chose which tune you want to run by touching it. It only takes about 2-3 minutes to flash the tune.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631157
Well that sounds painless and less intimidating. Seems like from all I've read Livernois seems to be the most highly rated. Thanks that helps a lot.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well that sounds painless and less intimidating. Seems like from all I've read Livernois seems to be the most highly rated. Thanks that helps a lot.
If you have any questions just give them a call tomorrow, they're very helpful. What's nice is you get all 5 of their tunes to try out and see which one you like. Best to run a tune for at least a couple tanks of gas to get the full feel for it.

Unleashed is another great tuner and @Doc is running that on one so he might be able to help you more with any questions.

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
If you have any questions just give them a call tomorrow, they're very helpful. What's nice is you get all 5 of their tunes to try out and see which one you like. Best to run a tune for at least a couple tanks of gas to get the full feel for it.

Unleashed is another great tuner and @Doc is running that on one so he might be able to help you more with any questions.
Awesome, Lots of great info and advice. Thx so much.
Seems like 93 octane is gonna be hard to find here. Would have to go with 91
Sponsored