TSB 20-2339 Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation And/Or Engine Runs Rough After Cold Start

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Has anyone had the Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation issue on the 2020's?
Does it sound like a cement mixer when you drive off? ? Well you didn’t warm it up enough and it bucks to tell you so! Honestly, that’s what mine does and if I’m patient and sit or just use FordPass schedule start before I got to go it’s a non issue from that point on.
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This has been happening for 6 months and I was going crazy thinking it would go away in Spring. But it's been in the 40s most mornings this Winter and today I finally got this lovely notification in my FordPass app.

I have an appointment to get this TSB applied tomorrow.

IMG_0758.PNG

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got my truck back from the service department, I brought a printed copy of the TSB with me. They did a road test and were able to replicate the issue.

They applied the PCM update and it shifts so smoothly now.

This has been happening for 6 months and I was going crazy thinking it would go away in Spring. But it's been in the 40s most mornings this Winter and today I finally got this lovely notification in my FordPass app.

I have an appointment to get this TSB applied tomorrow.

IMG_0758.PNG

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I got my truck back from the service department, I brought a printed copy of the TSB with me. They did a road test and were able to replicate the issue.

They applied the PCM update and it shifts so smoothly now.
What caused the MIL?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What caused the MIL?
The rear wheels were slipping due to the sudden power drops and surges from the transmission. I also got Traction Control warnings too. So the system thought it was an issue with the 4x4 system.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did a test today and yesterday.

Yesterday I did a cold-start in the morning and there was still some shifting funkiness. But it went away after 10 minutes.

Today I did a remote start in the morning and there was almost no issues. It seems like in both instances the transmission is delayed in downshifting when going uphill. But it resolves itself after 5-10 minutes of driving.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
The rear wheels were slipping due to the sudden power drops and surges from the transmission. I also got Traction Control warnings too. So the system thought it was an issue with the 4x4 system.
Damn, when did your trans get that bad? You really feel the re-flash will fix that problem? And one final question :), did you note the FW version before the work? It's not clear to me whether it's an actual change to the strategy, and the TSB doesn't say. With mine only being the "I can't decide if I want to go into 4th" for the first couple minutes, it seems like a lot of trouble to go through.
I did a test today and yesterday.

Yesterday I did a cold-start in the morning and there was still some shifting funkiness. But it went away after 10 minutes.

Today I did a remote start in the morning and there was almost no issues. It seems like in both instances the transmission is delayed in downshifting when going uphill. But it resolves itself after 5-10 minutes of driving.
Even more reason to live with minor shift quirkiness for me. I wonder if your re-learn will help.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With mine only being the "I can't decide if I want to go into 4th" for the first couple minutes, it seems like a lot of trouble to go through.
This is exactly what was happening before/after the update to the PCM. It seems in 7th gear it wants to downshift to 3rd or 4th but it is delayed for 3-4 seconds.

It's much better after 5-10 minutes of driving but its very annoying & potentially dangerous.

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
Sold my beautiful Ranger today due to these issues. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I was a little underwater on my loan but worth it for peace of mind. Good luck everyone.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Sold my beautiful Ranger today due to these issues. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I was a little underwater on my loan but worth it for peace of mind. Good luck everyone.
Bummer!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chris,

Dealt with customers for many years....when they to the knee jerk reactionary actions...You just let them go...Most will be sorry they did so...but that is their decision. Forcing a person that had decided they do not like a product is counterproductive... Let them go and wish them a good bye and a good life. Welcome them back when they realize their mistake.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
Hi Chris,

Dealt with customers for many years....when they to the knee jerk reactionary actions...You just let them go...Most will be sorry they did so...but that is their decision. Forcing a person that had decided they do not like a product is counterproductive... Let them go and wish them a good bye and a good life. Welcome them back when they realize their mistake.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Maybe Ford should build a decent product. I'll likely buy a USED ford again someday but not the expensive junk they are building now. My first Ford (1994 Ranger) was the biggest POS I ever owned. I gave Ford a second chance and they failed again. Peace out.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe Ford should build a decent product. I'll likely buy a USED ford again someday but not the expensive junk they are building now. My first Ford (1994 Ranger) was the biggest POS I ever owned. I gave Ford a second chance and they failed again. Peace out.
Your experiences are subjective. Between my father and I:
1993 Ranger
1998 Ranger
2003 Ranger
2007 Ranger 4x4 for work (unmarked police truck with UC lights and siren. Pretty cool because no one suspected a thing!)
2011 Ranger 4x4
2019 Ranger 4x4

Out of all of these Ranger, the only issues I experienced:
2003 Ranger 3.0 - Warped brake rotors (probably my fault), cam shaft position sensor and a broken valve spring, cylinder #5 (@P. A. Schilke that Vulcan motor was a PITA!!!)
2007 Ranger - electronic transfer case issues - fleet replaced it and it was fine

My dad's issues:
2011 Ranger - Spider nest on MAF caused it to run bad until problem was discovered

Ford makes a decent product. The funny thing is, you probably would have seen the issue solved had you stuck with it and the trans programming was sorted. I'm sorry you saw a financial loss on the whole deal and I hope you don't suffer the same inherent roll-of-the-dice situation that is possible with EVERY manufactures' products out there on your next truck!

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I owned a 90' and 94' and both were pretty great trucks. Both were 5 speed manuals tho....?. I don't fault the guy for getting rid of his truck. He seemed to have a lot of issues with it. I haven't had many issues, but the dealers near me, and some not so near are pretty much incompetent. It sounds like he might have had poor dealership(s). I got the wrench light the other day, but it went out after I shut it off for a few minutes and then restarted it, and hasn't come back on, Now two of the last 3 days I am getting a surging under low speed load and it seems to hold gears too long when this happens. It's like the transmission gets "confused" on whether it should shift or not. It's kind of what it felt like before the TSB and that has been a few months ago and until now it has been great. I am looking for a different dealer as the last one said my vibration (very minor, noticed early on when all stock) was from the "oversized" tires, despite play in my slip yoke that makes an audible clunking noise when you move the driveshaft up and down. I am starting to think that they will use my tires as an out for everything powertrain and try to deny my warranty. I have owned Fords most all of my life, but the service departments around me are making it harder and harder...?

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
My 2019 used to show this rough shifting, bucking at low speed after cold start to the point where I was going to request the TSB at my next oil change. For some reason it doesn't seem to be happening any more :thumbsup:

Ford doesn't build a decent product, they build an awsome product. I have had several Ford vehicles and as expected with any vehicle, I have had some issues, not all fixed with the first visit but they did get resolved. Ford does need to keep it's foot on the gas though. There are many challengers looking to topple the king.
Sponsored