TSB 20-2339 Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation And/Or Engine Runs Rough After Cold Start

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
my guys wanted the truck long enough to do a cold start to verify the problem.
This surprises me. It seems like it ought to be really easy for them to execute the TSB, then get the 0.4 hrs of labor reimbursed through a warranty claim. Why would they put extra effort into trying to replicate it first?

EDIT to add:
So I had a couple thoughts:
1) They could be trying to qualify for some extra warranty dollars in the form of troubleshooting.
2) I could be way to cynical, and they are in fact trying to do due diligence for their customer by ensuring there isn't some other underlying problem that the TSB can't fix.

Last edited:

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
This surprises me. It seems like it ought to be really easy for them to execute the TSB, then get the 0.4 hrs of labor reimbursed through a warranty claim. Why would they put extra effort into trying to replicate it first?
Typically it's a service writer just making things difficult or ASSuming he/she knows everything. It's a simple plug it in and push a button and .4 hours warranty.

Three Ponies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT convertible, 1973 Restomodded Mustang Convertible, 1962 Thunderbird
I had mine done during my oil change. Fixed the problem. Runs and shifts great.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
What sucks is mine has this issue but is a 2020 (Nov 2019 Build). So I just get to live with it until Ford expands the scope of or issues a new TSB that covers mine.

toddw

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Told them about the surge when I went in for an oil change today. They called me back and said there was a TSB for the issue and that they were going to do the fix. Just picked it up so I'll report back in a few days when I drive it a bit.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Just got mine done. I want to say the initial feeling is it is smoother, but that may be a placebo where I want the issued fixed so I perceive it as fixed.

I will say this, I back into my driveway and going into reverse always resulted in a long delay going into reverse gear or a heavy jerk as it caught up that it should now be going backwards. At least this time coming home the transmission responded immediately and smoothly going into reverse from a slight downhill nose forward.

I know they reset the system which reset my fuel estimate calculator (which I have done to test MPG multiple times) and I'm showing at least on this small trip home (again, I've reset it in multiple short trips just to see what it would say) and my MPG average has gone up considerably. I plan to do a highway test later today which is a roughly 25 mile round trip Ive done the test multiple times on and see what happens.

Just to give you an idea, last short trip I did was roughly 10 miles in town. On a fresh reset I was averaging 16.2 MPG - the same distance today, same driving habits, its now showing 20.2 on a fresh reset. Wishful thinking, but if this reset also inadvertently corrected my MPG complaint since I bought the truck by whatever wizardry has happened I'm fine with that.

Last three highway tests I did on a fresh reset I was only getting 18.1 MPG with cruise control set to 70mph! >_<

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Drove quite a distance this evening. It sat for a good 8 hours since I last used it. Accelerated just fine from a cold start. Shifts much smoother. Even on highway when going up a hill it no longer gives me a jolt and transitions smoothly to a lower gear.

And yes, my fuel mileage has gone up. I'm averaging 2+ MPG for city and 2-3+ MPG highway, averaging out to about 4 MPG more combined. I'm now getting about 20.5 MPG combined where I was averaging 16 to 16.5 MPG. This is a much more acceptable range even with the modifications to my truck. I expected some loss of efficiency with 33" tires, higher stance, and air damn delete - but not what I was getting considering I don't even hot dog the truck.

It seems almost like the reset either got rid of gear skipping or smoothed it out so much I can't even tell anymore.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
I knew I wasn’t crazy on feeling a rough running engine most mornings then the surge when pulling into traffic. Now to get this lazy dealership to deal with it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I knew I wasn’t crazy on feeling a rough running engine most mornings then the surge when pulling into traffic. Now to get this lazy dealership to deal with it.
Hi Joel,

Yeah..I have called Jim Click Ford service here in Green Valley and been blown off twice with we will call you back and never call. Think I will have to drive all the way to Horne Ford in Nogales for help with this one.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Hi Joel,

Yeah..I have called Jim Click Ford service here in Green Valley and been blown off twice with we will call you back and never call. Think I will have to drive all the way to Horne Ford in Nogales for help with this one.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
i finally got the sensor issue fixed last week. I had to call to see if the parts had come in. Seems like if I ordered parts for your truck I would call to tell you they were here so I could put them in and get paid. Guess not.....

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
I’ve been dealing with this issue since day 1 of buying the truck and couldn’t convince the dealer that it was happening. Only on cold start and the first shift from 3-4 always surges/bucks. Now I just have to convince them to do it, that’s the hard part.
I hear you there. I have taken my ranger in about half a dozen times and they try and reprogram the PCM but still have issues. Hopefully they get this right this time when I bring it in tomorrow.

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I hear you there. I have taken my ranger in about half a dozen times and they try and reprogram the PCM but still have issues. Hopefully they get this right this time when I bring it in tomorrow.
Let me know how it goes. Putting this off until I see someone else has had success.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Executive Pastor
I have an appt on Friday morning to get this done. Not sure how reflashing the PCM will help if they haven’t changed it from the original programming but it’s worth a shot.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I have an appointment Monday, but the dealership says they need it cold started to verify the surging before they do the reflash.... This makes no sense to me....just reflash and take your 0.4 hour payment.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored