TSB 20-2339 Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation And/Or Engine Runs Rough After Cold Start

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
My 2020 ranger used to have the same issues when cold (rough shifting, slight bucking) and also a weird one that I haven't seen mentioned; I have always let my vehicles warm up until the RPMs dropped to the normal idling speed, it used to take my ranger 10-15 mins of idling to drop the rpms in the morning, im not exaggerating. I took it to the Ford dealer and they reprogrammed the PCM, helped a little bit with the rough shifting, but it was still there and the idling problem was as well. I just had my Ford Performance tune installed and boom! Issues are gone. Truck warms up after a minute or two and shifting is normal now when cold.
Sponsored

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
My 2020 ranger used to have the same issues when cold (rough shifting, slight bucking) and also a weird one that I haven't seen mentioned; I have always let my vehicles warm up until the RPMs dropped to the normal idling speed, it used to take my ranger 10-15 mins of idling to drop the rpms in the morning, im not exaggerating. I took it to the Ford dealer and they reprogrammed the PCM, helped a little bit with the rough shifting, but it was still there and the idling problem was as well. I just had my Ford Performance tune installed and boom! Issues are gone. Truck warms up after a minute or two and shifting is normal now when cold.
Interesting! I might consider the tune if that’s the only real solution here.

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Sport, 2021 Lariat FX4
2019 here with a little over 20,000 miles. Has always had the harsh 3-4 shift when cold but may be getting better lately or maybe the warmer weather is helping.
Here is my bigger issue: when driving on level ground holding the accelerator in a neutral position- not speeding up or slowing down, the truck surges/bucks. It does not change gears when this happens and does this even after it is warmed up. Is the "Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation" the TSB addresses? I have a trusted guy who is service manager at the local Ford dealership who had three co-workers drive the truck, a tech and two others there who own Rangers. All thought the truck was operating normally. Wife and I recently bought a 2021 Explorer with the same engine and trans and it shifts and runs smoothly.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2019 here with a little over 20,000 miles. Has always had the harsh 3-4 shift when cold but may be getting better lately or maybe the warmer weather is helping.
Here is my bigger issue: when driving on level ground holding the accelerator in a neutral position- not speeding up or slowing down, the truck surges/bucks. It does not change gears when this happens and does this even after it is warmed up. Is the "Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation" the TSB addresses? I have a trusted guy who is service manager at the local Ford dealership who had three co-workers drive the truck, a tech and two others there who own Rangers. All thought the truck was operating normally. Wife and I recently bought a 2021 Explorer with the same engine and trans and it shifts and runs smoothly.
HI Tim,

All I can say is that the TSB made a night and day difference in the cold start performance... Would not hurt to have the TSB performed on your vehicle. Hopefully it will help. My complaint was a low speed surge from cold start.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HI Tim,

All I can say is that the TSB made a night and day difference in the cold start performance... Would not hurt to have the TSB performed on your vehicle. Hopefully it will help. My complaint was a low speed surge from cold start.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks. The truck is going in this Monday to get reprogrammed. Won't be the first time I have had to inform the Ford dealer of a Ford TSB to solve a problem with a Ford that the Ford techs couldn't solve. Maybe Ford should get their dealers' service people hooked up with Google!

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TSB (supposedly) done Monday. No improvement and maybe it is now a little worse. I would appreciate someone trying the following: Level smooth road, set cruise to around 40MPG and see if it maintains speed smoothly. Our 2021 Explorer is very smooth as expected My Ranger buck/surges very noticeably. At least I can show the Ford tech exactly what is doing as it is consistent.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
TSB (supposedly) done Monday. No improvement and maybe it is now a little worse. I would appreciate someone trying the following: Level smooth road, set cruise to around 40MPG and see if it maintains speed smoothly. Our 2021 Explorer is very smooth as expected My Ranger buck/surges very noticeably. At least I can show the Ford tech exactly what is doing as it is consistent.
HI Tim,

You have a different problem than the TSB addresses. Cold Start is a transient condition. i have no idea why your steady state 40mph (not mpg) is happening. Hopefully the dealer can diagnose. A reflash of the computer is maybe the solution... Surging is usually a function of fuel delivery.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HI Tim,

You have a different problem than the TSB addresses. Cold Start is a transient condition. i have no idea why your steady state 40mph (not mpg) is happening. Hopefully the dealer can diagnose. A reflash of the computer is maybe the solution... Surging is usually a function of fuel delivery.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil.
The TSB addresses "low speed buck/surge" which I thought was my issue. The problem my truck has is noticeable any time it is between acceleration and deceleration. Like popping a clutch.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil.
The TSB addresses "low speed buck/surge" which I thought was my issue. The problem my truck has is noticeable any time it is between acceleration and deceleration. Like popping a clutch.
Slip yoke movement or other driveshaft movement possibly?

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slip yoke movement or other driveshaft movement possibly?
At this point I have put almost 700 miles on the truck since the TSB reprogramming. My problem is getting worse.

I do not believe my problem is anything other than the transmission. It now shutters/bucks/surges any time its coasting. I can now even feel it slightly on the interstate; cruise set at 70 MPH, crest a hill and coast for a moment, feel the truck jerking.

While parked and idling, I switch from park to drive, then reverse, then back and forth from drive to reverse and no clunking- don't know if this rules out the driveshaft or not. Why am I even having to diagnose this problem on a 1-1/2 year old truck with 23,000 miles anyway?

I own a business and buy a couple of trucks each year. I currently have a F250 on order and was planning to order another vehicle next month. I've contacted the commercial sales manager to tell him I can't buy another Ford unless this problem gets resolved promptly.

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Two weeks ago the commercial sales manager and my commercial sales rep from our local Ford dealer came to my office and picked up the truck. I received a call from the rep Wednesday telling me they now have four (!) Rangers there with the same problem and Ford does not know what to do about it. Their lead tech is going to experiment with the transmission software parameters to try to solve the issue.

Lonewolf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crewcab FX4
Occupation
Chemist
At this point I have put almost 700 miles on the truck since the TSB reprogramming. My problem is getting worse.

I do not believe my problem is anything other than the transmission. It now shutters/bucks/surges any time its coasting. I can now even feel it slightly on the interstate; cruise set at 70 MPH, crest a hill and coast for a moment, feel the truck jerking.

While parked and idling, I switch from park to drive, then reverse, then back and forth from drive to reverse and no clunking- don't know if this rules out the driveshaft or not. Why am I even having to diagnose this problem on a 1-1/2 year old truck with 23,000 miles anyway?

I own a business and buy a couple of trucks each year. I currently have a F250 on order and was planning to order another vehicle next month. I've contacted the commercial sales manager to tell him I can't buy another Ford unless this problem gets resolved promptly.
Tim,

I have the exact same issue. I started noticing it about 2 months ago and seems to be getting worst. Just like you when coasting down the road (not needing to give it any gas) usually in town at 40-45 mph the truck starts to buck...like it wants to downshift but cant. When watching the gears it seems to be when I am in 7th gear. I have not had any issues lately and have been away from ranger5g for awhile.....but came back to see if any one else has been having the issue. I have 42,000 miles on my 2019...purchased in may 2020.

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tim,

I have the exact same issue. I started noticing it about 2 months ago and seems to be getting worst. Just like you when coasting down the road (not needing to give it any gas) usually in town at 40-45 mph the truck starts to buck...like it wants to downshift but cant. When watching the gears it seems to be when I am in 7th gear. I have not had any issues lately and have been away from ranger5g for awhile.....but came back to see if any one else has been having the issue. I have 42,000 miles on my 2019...purchased in may 2020.
Yes! This is turning out to be an epidemic. There are a bunch of discussions here about this problem in various forms. Mine started out barely noticeable and gradually got worse to the point where I wasn't sure I should drive it. My dealer is at least acknowledging the problem now.
Sponsored