Truxedo Pro X15 vs. Extang Xceed vs. Bakflip MX4 vs. UnderCover ArmorFlex

darquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I've been pouring over research in these forums and online and I'm just getting more confused. Here's where I'm currently at:

Wants:
-Able to install a bed extender and use a tonneau cover.
-durable
-as leakproof as possible
-easy to remove if I need to use the whole bed (probably not applicable to the soft covers)
-as flat as possible next to the bed (I want something flush without it being raised on the rails).
-Open and close the tailgate with the cover fully installed (I've read some where the panel closest to the tailgate has to be open before you close the tailgate).

You'll see I have 3 hard covers and 1 soft cover listed. From what I can tell, soft covers are lighter and easier to remove, plus they don't obstruct as much if you need to use the whole bed. I'm not TERRIBLY concerned about needing the security of a hard cover, but it's a nice-to-have. I've also heard that soft covers may protect against water instruction better than hard covers because of the velcro lip they have. Confirm/deny?

From what I can tell, all three hard covers are owned by the same parent company, Truck Hero. There's a few changes here and there, but not a whole lot of difference. The Xceed has 4 panels vs the bakflip so it's a bit lighter on each panel. The Armorflex uses a spray liner on the inside so it's supposed to be more durable, and the bakflip seems to be a proven performer based off this forum.

I've read the bakflip can easily be broken into with a coat hanger on previous versions. Is that still the case?

The extang and backflip I can get for about 1/2 price with a military discount, which puts it at the same price as the Truxedo ($500), so it's more a question of what will work better for my needs.

Curious to people's thoughts.
Sponsored

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have the Prox15 that I just installed. So far very water resistant here in WA. I sprayed it all down with a hose directly and had minimal water ingress. I really like how it rolls up quickly and I can still toss a moto in the back. I did not want folding covers as they block the rear window and would make it difficult to put a motorcycle in the back / you lose some bed space.

The prox15 comes off the rails with 2 slides, and you could remove the cover and keep the rails in 30 seconds. I am very happy with it so far. As far as the tailgate, the cover closes on the tailgate. So when you open the tailgate and go to close it, you hit the latch to just pop the rear 4" up, close the tailgate, and push the cover down so the seal is sitting properly. If you don't pop it up, the gate will close on the seal and fold it, making it not seal properly. Takes 2 more seconds. It is also flush with the bed and the material is very nice (main reason I went with the prox15 over their cheaper rolling cover). I'm not sure if there are any covers that do not require opening before closing your tailgate, if there are, they do not get a good seal. The prox15 is super quick to open and close with the single latch.

Here's some photos, keep in mind its all wet so that's why you can see the lines.

1610392203411.png
1610392212012.png

1610392239890.png

Last edited:

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
+1 on the soft roller. I wanted a bakFlip so bad but didn't want to drop the scratch on it. I went as cheap as possible hoping that the cheap option would fail and give me the reason to get the one I actually wanted (man brain at its peak). I got the Gator SRX for about $250. I've been very impressed with it. For $250, it's a pretty damn good unit. Very minimal water gets through, and I think it gets through at the bulk head because I didn't seal it correctly. It's 99.5% water free.

I had to haul home a 65" TV two weeks ago and if I had one of the tri folds that doesn't fold all the way I'd have had to remove it to bring that TV home. If this Gator fails, I'll probably get another roller.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on the soft roller. I wanted a bakFlip so bad but didn't want to drop the scratch on it. I went as cheap as possible hoping that the cheap option would fail and give me the reason to get the one I actually wanted (man brain at its peak). I got the Gator SRX for about $250. I've been very impressed with it. For $250, it's a pretty damn good unit. Very minimal water gets through, and I think it gets through at the bulk head because I didn't seal it correctly. It's 99.5% water free.

I had to haul home a 65" TV two weeks ago and if I had one of the tri folds that doesn't fold all the way I'd have had to remove it to bring that TV home. If this Gator fails, I'll probably get another roller.
Hi Ty,

I understand your situation with respect to pricing. You solution will serve you well.

A back Story. Friend had a condo that the rented...guy in the condo died...did not find out for two weeks....Stench was over the top...He hired a mitigation company....Ozone, tear up carpet, drapes etc. Got it ready to rent again but bathroom vanity has to go...I busted up the old one...off to Home Depot. New Vanity, counter top and fixtures. My trusty Ranger was there to haul...I rolled up my Bak Revolver tonneau and the parking lot of people came over to see what this tonneau was about. I cold have sold about half a dozen of them right then. Larry and Carol were just amazed as we loaded the supplies into to the Ranger. They had no idea that this was a segmented hard top tonneau.

Then I showed the folks in the parking lot the tailgate damper....It got ugly and we had to get out of there...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Hi Ty,

I understand your situation with respect to pricing. You solution will serve you well.

A back Story. Friend had a condo that the rented...guy in the condo died...did not find out for two weeks....Stench was over the top...He hired a mitigation company....Ozone, tear up carpet, drapes etc. Got it ready to rent again but bathroom vanity has to go...I busted up the old one...off to Home Depot. New Vanity, counter top and fixtures. My trusty Ranger was there to haul...I rolled up my Bak Revolver tonneau and the parking lot of people came over to see what this tonneau was about. I cold have sold about half a dozen of them right then. Larry and Carol were just amazed as we loaded the supplies into to the Ranger. They had no idea that this was a segmented hard top tonneau.

Then I showed the folks in the parking lot the tailgate damper....It got ugly and we had to get out of there...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil man, your stories never disappoint. I've been hiding my damper from the world like you'd hide a winning PowerBall lottery ticket. But it does its job.

As for the Revolver, that is one sharp looking cover. Another consideration for the OP is safety. Where I live, I don't have to worry about someone slashing my cover, but I know that happens and is a driving force behind a hard cover. Is the Revolver slash-able?

OP
OP

darquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Ty,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Phil, how's the felt stood up sticking to the aluminum on the underside? You're in Arizona, so you get plenty of heat...

I've seen some videos where people complain about the adhesive not being strong enough and the felt disconnecting from the aluminum on the underneath of the cover.

I'm in Northern Virginia, so I get the heat, but it also gets below freezing so I'd be concerned with the Revolver freezing and not being able to move at times...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil man, your stories never disappoint. I've been hiding my damper from the world like you'd hide a winning PowerBall lottery ticket. But it does its job.

As for the Revolver, that is one sharp looking cover. Another consideration for the OP is safety. Where I live, I don't have to worry about someone slashing my cover, but I know that happens and is a driving force behind a hard cover. Is the Revolver slash-able?
Hi Ty,

The Revolver is not slashable. If someone tried, they would find segments of aluminum so the cover would look horrible but contents would be safe...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, how's the felt stood up sticking to the aluminum on the underside? You're in Arizona, so you get plenty of heat...

I've seen some videos where people complain about the adhesive not being strong enough and the felt disconnecting from the aluminum on the underneath of the cover.

I'm in Northern Virginia, so I get the heat, but it also gets below freezing so I'd be concerned with the Revolver freezing and not being able to move at times...
Hi Darquid,

So far so good. Ranger sits in the garage most of the time so really does not get a bake job for much of the time I have had it.....Something to which I will pay attention! Thanks!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Uncontrollable Jealousy can change folks very quickly...

chico1911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger (soon)
Occupation
Operations Manager & Firearms Instructor
I have the Xceed, I really like it. One of the main reasons I choose it was how low/flush it sits on the bed. I also liked how you can’t see any “hinges”. It is very water tight with just a little getting in around the tailgate. Also you can open and close the tail gate with the cover closed, no problem. When completed folded and propped up the bed is pretty open. Plus it doesn’t have to lean against the cab when all the way open/up.

if you get one make sure it wasn’t old stock. The first one I received the cover wouldn’t latch. At first we thought it was because it came missing some parts, so they sent the parts and it still wouldn’t latch/lock. I was planning on shimming out the rails using some 1/8” flat aluminum stock, but they sent me an entire new kit. The rails in the first kit also looked like they were cut on achop saw. The new ones are wider and have the ends finished with caps. The first cover was a little too long as the ripper almost touch the cab.
While it was a pain in the ass to get it done, waiting for parts, then the whole new kit and taking it on and off. I’m very happy with the final product.

OP
OP

darquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I have the Xceed, I really like it. One of the main reasons I choose it was how low/flush it sits on the bed. I also liked how you can’t see any “hinges”. It is very water tight with just a little getting in around the tailgate. Also you can open and close the tail gate with the cover closed, no problem. When completed folded and propped up the bed is pretty open. Plus it doesn’t have to lean against the cab when all the way open/up.

if you get one make sure it wasn’t old stock. The first one I received the cover wouldn’t latch. At first we thought it was because it came missing some parts, so they sent the parts and it still wouldn’t latch/lock. I was planning on shimming out the rails using some 1/8” flat aluminum stock, but they sent me an entire new kit. The rails in the first kit also looked like they were cut on achop saw. The new ones are wider and have the ends finished with caps. The first cover was a little too long as the ripper almost touch the cab.
While it was a pain in the ass to get it done, waiting for parts, then the whole new kit and taking it on and off. I’m very happy with the final product.
thanks! This is what I’m leaning towards. Any idea if a bed extender would work with it?

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have the Trifecta 2.0 Signature Series.

It's a soft fold and is really nice. It still looks like the day a got it. 99.9% waterproof. I get a few drops in there but I think it's from the tailgate. Goes on and off in 5 minutes with two clamps up from. No special rails or drains to deal with.

I wouldn't keep anything expensive in the bed since you can break into any one of these covers if you really wanted to but that goes for the vehicle itself also. It does keep your stuff out of site. I keep a tool box in the bed with some stuff in it.

Only thing I don't like is that this thing is not going to wear out and I would really like to get a cap/topper.

chico1911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger (soon)
Occupation
Operations Manager & Firearms Instructor
thanks! This is what I’m leaning towards. Any idea if a bed extender would work with it?
Sorry. I don’t have a bed extender. Not sure what is necessary for one to work. What should I check for you?

OP
OP

darquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Sorry. I don’t have a bed extender. Not sure what is necessary for one to work. What should I check for you?
I think the main thing would be seeing what the width of the new rails are.

as long as the new rails don’t extend too far into the bed, then the bed extended should be able to rotate in and out of the bed without any issue.