"True North" Build

I nicknamed my truck "True North" - GM now has a True North edition Sierra in Canada - crap.

• Change the name immediately

• Hang my head in shame and keep the name

• Keep the name and hope no one notices

• Install a tailgate damper because everything's ruined now anyway

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Nice looking Platform! I would have to grow 8” to use it myself. Your truck looks great!
Thanks Gary! I'm getting it ready for trips to Horseshoe Valley and Hardwood Hills this winter. If I can't be hanging around people and working, I might as well be out in the snow enjoying nature. Hope to get in some skiing and snowshoeing this season.
Sponsored

Justlooking

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 AT4 6.2L
Occupation
Retired
Please forgive the completely naive question...how Is it your new wheel/tire combo is further back than stock? I’m still learning about offset etc so I’m most likely missing something. Seems the stock wheels and the new wheels are both 17X8 with the only difference being 40 mm less offset in the new wheels. The new tires are 0.8 inches wider (0.4 inches (10.4 mm) either side of center). So if the center line of the wheel is moved out by 40 mm and the back edge of the tire is 10.4 mm further inboard than stock it seems you should have more room than the stock set up?

Also - 2” leveling kit and crash bars in tact?

Looks amazing - wish I had your mechanical skills, I’d likely kill myself trying to install a leveling kit!

Menace HD 17x8 +15mm Offset

These wheels have enough offset to allow 275s to more than clear the knuckle (actually further than the stock wheels) and push those tires out to just inside the fender Flares. Gloss Black for a Shadow Black Ranger.

Note...
No rubbing at full lock, no cutting, no trimming. I loosened and angled the intrusion bars and removed the plastic covers while the wheels were off.

FYI - Because people on these forums ask...
Before I installed the level kit, I put the wheels on the front just to see if they would clear the crash bars without the lift - they DO NOT and if you try it, they still won't. If you want 32s, level your Ranger.

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

Up next...

IMG_1221.JPG

But first, True North needs a bath - I need a beer - it's happy hour and just about time to start the BBQ.
General Grabber A/T X (275/70R17)

This is the main reason I levelled True North - the agessive stance of wider, taller tires. Wow, these Grabbers are a lot of tire - a full 32". My dealer couldn't get Falken Wildpeaks or BFG KO2s (back order) but I am more than impressed with the look of these big tires.

These wheels have enough offset to allow 275s to more than clear the knuckle (actually further than the stock wheels) and push those tires out to just inside the fender Flares. Gloss Black for a Shadow Black Ranger.

Note...
No rubbing at full lock, no cutting, no trimming. I loosened and angled the intrusion bars and removed the plastic covers while the wheels were off.

Before I installed the level kit, I put the wheels on the front just to see if they would clear the crash bars without the lift - they DO NOT and if you try it, they still won't. If you want 32s, level your Ranger.

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

Up next...

IMG_1221.JPG

But first, True North needs a bath - I need a beer - it's happy hour and just about time to start the BBQ.
Rough Country 2-1/2" Level Kit

Between yard work and some shopping I managed to resolve the strut issue and get True North levelled. There's a way to install level kits by removing the lower control arm from the frame and removing the tie rod end - I couldn't see myself doing that without a hoist, so I did it like most folks - unfasten the upper ball joint and tie rod end. There are a few things that help make this a lot easier:
  • Remove the caliper and rotor - they are crazy heavy when heavy is what you don't need - especially at re-assembly
  • Remove the axle nut and push the CV out of the knuckle and tuck it out of the way - I zip tied mine to the sway bar
  • Remove the sway bar link from the knuckle and loosen both sway bar mounts
  • Remove the lower studs from the strut! Got a press? Use it. No press? Then thread the nuts back on the stud, upside down, and have at it with a heavy hammer.
Sure, these steps add a bit of extra time and effort, but they make it so easy to move the knuckle around and to get that upper ball joint re-attached. You also won't pop your CV or a sway bar link and you won't get frustrated trying to get your new, taller strut into a space designed for one that's, well, um, 2-1/2" shorter.

General Grabber A/T X (275/70R17)

This is the main reason I levelled True North - the agessive stance of wider, taller tires. Wow, these Grabbers are a lot of tire - a full 32". My dealer couldn't get Falken Wildpeaks or BFG KO2s (back order) but I am more than impressed with the look of these big tires.

Note...

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

Up next...

IMG_1221.JPG

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Please forgive the completely naive question...how Is it your new wheel/tire combo is further back than stock? I’m still learning about offset etc so I’m most likely missing something. Seems the stock wheels and the new wheels are both 17X8 with the only difference being 40 mm less offset in the new wheels. The new tires are 0.8 inches wider (0.4 inches (10.4 mm) either side of center). So if the center line of the wheel is moved out by 40 mm and the back edge of the tire is 10.4 mm further inboard than stock it seems you should have more room than the stock set up?

Also - 2” leveling kit and crash bars in tact?

Looks amazing - wish I had your mechanical skills, I’d likely kill myself trying to install a leveling kit!
Hey, thanks Scott, it's not as daunting as it seems as long as you have all the tools, some skills, and a bit of nerve. However, if something goes wrong, it can be a real nightmare.

The new wheels push the tires out with plenty of room. My choice of words in the post may have been misleading. Try this handy link to see how different offsets work and how the new and old setup compare.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

It's actually a two and a half inch level kit and it just barely clears the crash bars on one side - it's very, very close. If I used a two inch kit, I would have likely needed new, modified crash bars. Three inches is a better setup for the tires I used but that would mean a rear lift to level things out.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
That's a great looking truck. All black always looks awesome when clean. I really like the side steps as well. Have you done any mechanical performance upgrades yet?

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That's a great looking truck. All black always looks awesome when clean. I really like the side steps as well. Have you done any mechanical performance upgrades yet?
Thanks a lot Steve. I'm really happy with the way it's turning out.

No performance mods. You might say it's "all show and no go". Although, that would be a bit unfair to the crazy quick stock 2.3L.

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Rough Country Tow Hook/Shackle Conversion

Stepped outside to take out the trash and almost tripped over this delivery from TDOT Performance. I love it when the courier driver doesn't ring the bell or knock on the door. I mean, who doesn't love surprises?

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

Let's see how this goes...

It's a pretty straightforward removal and install. I don't like that you have to cut the old mud guards and I guess you could leave them off but the look suits the level and the bigger tires, so they're here to stay.

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

I think that completes the look I was after. Now, if we get some decent snow soon, I can take it out and play. Maybe I should just take a trip to the cottage where it's been piling up for a couple of weeks.

IMG_1619.JPG

E788B8C3-FE8E-43B1-9126-63ED0AFCBFA7.jpeg

Last edited:

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform

Well, like a lot of mods or accessories, this install is better suited for help from an extra person - preferably someone who has done it before. The toughest part is figuring out just where to drill the holes in your expensive canopy. Second toughest is wresting the platform on and off to dry-fit things before that moment of truth with your drill.

Hats off to Rhino Rack for good packaging, an easy install and a great design that offers a bit of forgiveness if your mounting legs aren't perfectly square.

Tow Receiver Shackle

I hope I don't have to use it but I installed a 2" Tow Receiver Shackle in case I end up in a ditch full of snow. It sticks out enough that it will pierce someone's grille but not enough to serve as a step for accessing my new platform rack. Oh well, it's a good thing we have back-up cameras!

Edited with better pics.

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

View attachment 63591

IMG_1574.JPG

Next up...

Rough Country Front Tow Hook Shackle Conversion Kit - sadly, it's on backorder. Hopefully, I'll have a mid-December project to post.
Where did you get your tow receiver shackle from?

Thanks

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you get your tow receiver shackle from?

Thanks
Amazon: OPENROAD 3/4 D Ring Shackle Receiver

IMG_1420.jpg

Because I live in TO, I also bought a lock - it would be stolen on the first outing.

I also saw one on Amazon that includes a lock (Motormic UNIQUE Shackle Hitch Receiver) - I swear these all come from the same factory!

IMG_1419.jpg

Happy shopping

Last edited:

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Amazon: OPENROAD 3/4 D Ring Shackle Receiver

IMG_1420.jpg

Because I live in TO, I also bought a lock - it would be stolen on the first outing.

I also saw one on Amazon that includes a lock (Motormic UNIQUE Shackle Hitch Receiver) - I swear these all come from the same factory!

IMG_1419.jpg

Happy shopping
Thanks. I found one from Action Trucks that my son in law can pick up for me and I can give him cash for. It keeps the purchase under the radar and saves the pain for larger purchases. ?

02789A38-A076-4813-9011-75CE7149356F.jpeg

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
I think i need to order the exact same rims as you have after looking at your truck...

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Darin

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Jack of all trades
Drop Step Nerf Bars

Love the Westin HDX Drop Nerf Steps! I might even like the ease of installation more. No jack stands required!

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

So, why the pocket-style flares and drop steps with original wheels and tires? It has as much to do with getting me to the mountains as it does with looking good while doing it.

Up next...

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

But first, time for lunch!

Darin

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Jack of all trades
Ijust looked at your truck I have same lift,,,, I have 17 inch x9 -12 centerlines. 265 x70 I have slight rub on my front and back crash bars , I was going to cut most of them out with a grinding zip disc ,,,, what did you have to do ?
Sponsored