Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I posted up on this early on when I got my '19. I don't recall an answer and I couldn't find the original post via search. We've also had a lot of new folks far smarter than I join since then. Pardon the re-ask....

Is it possible to replace or amend / enhance the stock cell antenna with one of the WeBoost Antennas?
304415_Display.png

I'd like to see if that can extend the usefulness of the onboard WiFi system beyond where my iPhone loses connectivity. If so, it would be MUCH cheaper than buying a whole WeBoost package and having extra stuff installed in the cab.

IIRC the onboard cell phone is in the passenger side foot-well kick panel. But does it have a standard SMA or other plug on it and where does the antenna wire terminate? While we are on the topic, do we know what wattage that radio (cell phone) is working at? I think cell phones are down to 0.5 watts now. Part of that is to save battery and the other part is t keep from cooking your melon.

If the Ford Cell Device was higher like a full watt or two that would already be a 150% to 200% improvement and a better antenna would make a TON of sense. Especially if I could get it externally mounted outside of and above the cab.

Since my cell phone supports "WiFi Calling" it would WiFi to the truck which should have a super cell and antenna extending my coverage.
Sponsored

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
I haven't looked at the unit, but had looked & searched previously to see if it was possible to swap the sim (unfortunately it's not). I found these 2 threads that should help you:

Picture of TCU PCB: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/onboard-modem.4098/

TCU Diagram: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...nit-tcu-location-fordpass-connect-modem.1735/

Looking at those 2, I'd say no it doesn't use a standard SMA connector. The connector looks proprietary. If you pull the unit you may be able to find someone who does custom cables & make you an adapter.

Mr Adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Bumping this thread. I’m also looking to upgrade the truck cell antenna with a Weboost. Plan to use the truck hotspot for remote work in locations far from cell towers. Anyone have an update??

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure they're compatible with OEM cell system...Weboost antenna is designed to plug into their internal signal broadcast amplifier...

IMG_7562.JPG
IMG_7558.JPG

Mr Adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Well certainly not without modification :) that is a sweet setup by the way! How did you make that flip down bracket?

I have plenty of electrical/antenna design experience and can easily wire any coax cable in… you can buy the ford coax wire harness, cut in a SMA on one side so the Weboost just screws on. The Weboost antenna covers all of the GSM AT&T 4G LTE network bands. It should work fine. Here is the Weboost antenna datasheet:

https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com...29_DriveOTRAntenna_SpecSheet_Rev04_101520.pdf

Did some more digging on the OEM antenna. Want to see the performance of the OEM antenna to see if it’s actually worth the effort of switching. There’s two antenna inputs on the TCU module, one for GPS and one for GSM cell signals. If the GSM antenna is a MIMO antenna, the Weboost may not be an upgrade. Weboost is meant for low bandwidth range, MIMO is higher bandwidth with shorter range. If it’s a MIMO, a larger MIMO would be an upgrade. Lots of threads on the ford Wi-Fi hotspot in the other vehicle forums. Will continue digging.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
All the weboost is essentially is a repeater. Just amplifies the signal bidirectionally. Any antenna they produce will be tuned to the system that was designed around it. Porting it to another system will probably not work to your expectations. Installing the complete system would make a difference though. I installed a residential Wilson unit for My MIL & FIL as they could only get 1 bar if they were lucky and stood in a certain spot. Now they have a solid 3 bars throughout the house.

As far as boosting the factory unit don't think you'll find an antenna solution that's plug and play.

Mr Adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
All the weboost is essentially is a repeater. Just amplifies the signal bidirectionally. Any antenna they produce will be tuned to the system that was designed around it. Porting it to another system will probably not work to your expectations. Installing the complete system would make a difference though. I installed a residential Wilson unit for My MIL & FIL as they could only get 1 bar if they were lucky and stood in a certain spot. Now they have a solid 3 bars throughout the house.

As far as boosting the factory unit don't think you'll find an antenna solution that's plug and play.
Good info! I design satellite antennas for a living, have the skills to modify this system. You could certainly change the antenna on the Ford system for improved reception. It’s a fairly small antenna compared to something like the Weboost. I found out OEM is a MIMO antenna (which makes sense). The weboost would likely improve range, but bandwidth would suffer since it’s single pol.

For anyone seeing this post, you can buy the ford coax wire harness for like $30 to get the OEM RF connectors. Buy a 2x2 MIMO antenna with at least ~6dBi+ gain and mount outside the cab. Plug in directly to the TCU and you’ll get better performance for sure. Obviously I’m leaving some minor build details out but that’s the general idea. Feel free to DM me and I’m happy to provide guidance.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Well certainly not without modification :) that is a sweet setup by the way! How did you make that flip down bracket?

I have plenty of electrical/antenna design experience and can easily wire any coax cable in… you can buy the ford coax wire harness, cut in a SMA on one side so the Weboost just screws on. The Weboost antenna covers all of the GSM AT&T 4G LTE network bands. It should work fine. Here is the Weboost antenna datasheet:

https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com...29_DriveOTRAntenna_SpecSheet_Rev04_101520.pdf

Did some more digging on the OEM antenna. Want to see the performance of the OEM antenna to see if it’s actually worth the effort of switching. There’s two antenna inputs on the TCU module, one for GPS and one for GSM cell signals. If the GSM antenna is a MIMO antenna, the Weboost may not be an upgrade. Weboost is meant for low bandwidth range, MIMO is higher bandwidth with shorter range. If it’s a MIMO, a larger MIMO would be an upgrade. Lots of threads on the ford Wi-Fi hotspot in the other vehicle forums. Will continue digging.
The folding antenna mount is from Rhino Rack...Weboost has come out with a nicer one...the bracket interface with the rack is home made...

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Good info! I design satellite antennas for a living, have the skills to modify this system. You could certainly change the antenna on the Ford system for improved reception. It’s a fairly small antenna compared to something like the Weboost. I found out OEM is a MIMO antenna (which makes sense). The weboost would likely improve range, but bandwidth would suffer since it’s single pol.

For anyone seeing this post, you can buy the ford coax wire harness for like $30 to get the OEM RF connectors. Buy a 2x2 MIMO antenna with at least ~6dBi+ gain and mount outside the cab. Plug in directly to the TCU and you’ll get better performance for sure. Obviously I’m leaving some minor build details out but that’s the general idea. Feel free to DM me and I’m happy to provide guidance.

Cheers!
Love this stuff! Interest got the best of me and did some poking around and landed on this page. They have other units as well. Cool stuff https://westwardsales.com/panorama-gpsd-7-27-lte-antenna

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager

Cheers!
I design Amateur Radio Antennas as a hobby. what you describe above is EXACTLY why I was interested in this in the first place. The Ford antenna is anemic and in a sub optimal location.Since we don't have trees here in the "Valley of the Sun" Phoenix AZ, I was thinking a mag mount over the rear passenger position would be a good option.
Sponsored