Tri-fold or Roll-up Soft Bed Covers

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
I'm trying to decide what the preferred is on this.Looking for a 5 foot cover. What's the pro's and con's on either? There's probably a thread on this already, but I could not find it in the search, sorry.....
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I like my trifold. MX4

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I would never use a roll up cover again, but you may not have the same issues where you are. Theyā€™re really hard to close and keep closed in the cold and always sag under the weight of the snow on it.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I just got my truck an don't plan on hauling often an I went with a tri fold. On my 03 ranger I had a the roll up you had to snap on the rail an it was a pain in the ass. I went with the gator tri because I found it for $220. After buying it I saw a hard tri fold for $550. I might have sprung for the aluminum cover if I had seen it before buying the soft cover.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I went with the Truck Gear by Line-X folding cover on mine. It is basically the BakFlip F1 with a Line-X coating on the folding panels. I had a BakFlip F-1 on my F150 for seven years and was still in great shape when I sold the truck to buy this Ranger. The only regret I have is I wished I had installed this one instead of having Line-X install it. I think it would fit better. I will probably wait until warm weather and the take it off and reinstall it. Good luck on which ever cover you select.

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I went with a trifold hard cover, at least it gives me the illusion of some protection for stuff in the back.

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
I had a hard tri fold on my Tundra and loved it. It came with the truck when I purchased it. Kept water out fairly well just sucked to have the rear window blocked when you needed to use the back. And not that itā€™s a huge pain but wasnā€™t an easy one step process to fold up. The paneling also scratches very easily. So when I got my ranger I decided to try the TruXedo Prox15 which is a roll up but high end soft cover roll up. Just installed but so far so much easier to use then the hard cover. It uses a better material then most soft covers and has lifetime warranty. Hereā€™s a pic after install. The ripples are now done after straightening it up. I would have gotten the TruXedo Sentry CT which is a hard cover roll up but didnā€™t want to fork over another 400 bucks.

1442743E-E5C5-4B32-9D21-27EBA4126BA6.jpeg

D2C36E1C-B73A-4690-9D15-AB16D53C79E0.jpeg

17BB1D5C-4F64-4917-9914-50EA67BBC39E.jpeg

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Same here as Andrew, I also have the Truxedo Pro X15 and I really love it. At first I wanted a trifold, but now that I have this one, I'm actually really happy with it, even more considering that it saved me a good 500 bucks in comparison with the trifold that I wanted =)

chip

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
On my Tundra, at first I got the BAKFLIP X2 Revolver, which is hard roll up with soft cover material over aluminium. It didn't last 2 years because of where I park the sun is brutal and caused it to shrink. Luckily the shop honored the warranty and I paid the difference for the hard tri-fold which held up much better even when I sold the truck.

So I knew with my new ranger I wanted a tri-fold again and I love it! It is a bit of an inconvenience not being able to see out the back window when fully opened but I'll take that tradeoff for something that will look nice and last. I went with the BAKFLIP MX.

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I've had retractable and the trifold...I fretted over which way to go but in the end I went with trifold..My reasons were ease of on and off and value. I ended up ordering the same cover I had for three years on my Canyon and it still looked new when I returned the truck...I ran one for 5 years on a Ram and it was good there too...

I ordered from TruckproUSA for 279 and you get a free tail gate seal...free shipping. Mine arrives tomorrow. If someone does decides to get in the back I'm not out much for the cover and it literally goes on out of the box in five minutes or less... Lifetime warranty and the materials are good and it works very easy....and stays very dry.

Amazon has it for same price but tax gets it up over 300...

OP
OP
Mpro2

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
I appreciate all of the great advise here. I probably won't be able to go with the hard cover even though I would love to have one. I have a budget of about $400, and I don't think that would get me into hard cover range....

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I went with the cheapest option I could find since I'm watching pennies to get more mods. I figure it will last a few years then I'll get the hard cover. I have the 6 ft bed an when I was looking I was seeing more options for the 5 ft bed. I saw soft covers on eBay for under $200.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I went with the Tri-Fold BAKflip F1 over a roll up cover because a roll up cover extends into the be several inches and when you only have 5 feet, every inch counts. Fully open a Tri-Fold allows almost the entire bed to be used...

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I went to Truxedo TruSport for $287 on Amazon and really like it a lot. It will allow for full use of the back window when rolled up. I believe most of the new roll up's have bars to keep them tight.
Sponsored