Tremor Upfitters Always On?

Nick J

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Stumbled across this video on how to make the Super Duty’s upfitter switches always on:

Anyone ever test this out on a Ranger Tremor?

It looks like the relay box is similarly located and configured. The section with the 5A fuse exists on the Ranger, but there isn’t a fuse in there. Figured I’d ask the community before I blow things up.
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Out of honest curiosity, why would you need this?

OP
OP
Nick J

Nick J

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Camping, probably. Curiosity, definitely. Just got the truck and I’d like to know its limitations. It would be nice not to need the truck on to use aux lighting. I could see it coming in handy when setting up camp at night.

edit: grammar

Last edited:

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
are the switches on a delay like the USB and cigarette ports? turn off the truck and they have power for X amount of time?

OP
OP
Nick J

Nick J

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
are the switches on a delay like the USB and cigarette ports? turn off the truck and they have power for X amount of time?
Just tested. My ditch lights on aux 1 turned off when I turned the car off, but the front USB port was still charging my phone.

Here’s what I’m talking about. This is from the Super Duty video above.

FBD64912-5D29-466F-BAB1-049532EDC079.jpeg

And this is what I’m interested in regarding the tremor (stole this photo from another thread)

63397EDE-4211-4EAA-A27B-95BA11D3CB54.jpeg

It looks like this can accept a fuse, which I would assume fulfills a similar purpose to the Super Duty one, but I’m new to vehicle electrical and wanted to see if anyone else had insight.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Just tested. My ditch lights on aux 1 turned off when I turned the car off, but the front USB port was still charging my phone.

And this is what I’m interested in regarding the tremor (stole this photo from another thread)

It looks like this can accept a fuse, which I would assume fulfills a similar purpose to the Super Duty one, but I’m new to vehicle electrical and wanted to see if anyone else had insight.
That is interesting, I would need to see a schematic to know for sure but you can test for positive when the truck is off. If I get some time I can check mine later. If key off, and there is power on one end of the terminal, it could possibly do the same.

It could be for various reasons but for me personally sometimes I just want to put my ditch lights on for a second and don't want to have my keys in the vehicle. Usually camping/outdoor situations.

OP
OP
Nick J

Nick J

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
That is interesting, I would need to see a schematic to know for sure but you can test for positive when the truck is off. If I get some time I can check mine later. If key off, and there is power on one end of the terminal, it could possibly do the same.
I don’t have the right tools to test the terminal. Please let me know if you get around to this.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired

it should say in your owner's manual what that is for.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I don’t have the right tools to test the terminal. Please let me know if you get around to this.
Just got a chance to try it. I slide it over and the exposed tab for sure has +12v but it seems to require a special fuse? The small blade fuse used in that aux fuse panel is larger than the slot allows to slide in. Even then, I do not see a metal tab/terminal for the positive electricity to go to. So, maybe the Ranger one is missing the internal wiring? Not sure.

PXL_20211208_164101485.jpg

OP
OP
Nick J

Nick J

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Just got a chance to try it. I slide it over and the exposed tab for sure has +12v but it seems to require a special fuse? The small blade fuse used in that aux fuse panel is larger than the slot allows to slide in. Even then, I do not see a metal tab/terminal for the positive electricity to go to. So, maybe the Ranger one is missing the internal wiring? Not sure.

PXL_20211208_164101485.jpg
Wow, how interesting. Thanks for doing that. I think I'll explore this a bit more and report back if I find anything.

ekraus

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
This is pretty interesting. I have an AAwirless dongle plugged into one of the usb ports under the radio. The dongle emulates the phone being directly plugged into the USB port so you can get Android Auto on the screen without a wired connection. The problem is, assume your on the phone in the truck. You shut the engine off and open the door, screen goes off and you no longer are speaking or hearing the conversation you were on. But its still active and connected to the truck via dongle. The USB port is still powered up and stays powered for X amount of time. The only way to get the conversation back on the phone is to turn off Bluetooth on the phone. And another issue is if I am on the phone and approaching the truck the USB port powers up and I am screwed again because I haven't started the truck and the screen isn't active
I need the dam port to power off and stay off until I press the start button.
I need the power off to that port when shut the truck off.

evoaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9.5” Redwing
There are draw backs to having it power up, when powering up the vehicle as well. My wife’s CRV will do this. If I go out and start the car, it hooks up to her phone, she looses the call, or actually, the call now is heard in the car, come to think of it so does my daughters civic. Good way to see what she’s up too, just go out and crank up her car,lol.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
following this thread because I am also interested in having the ability for the upfitter switches to constantly being hot with power.

drauden44

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Occupation
First Responder
Any updates? Starting to dig into this
Sponsored