LISANDRO

First Name
Lisandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Hello
I noticed since when i first purchased my xlt ranger there is a noise when switching from PARK TO DRIVE AND DRIVE TO REVERSE. Doesnt do it going into Neutral.Is this normal its not the whine by the way more of a clunk. no issues so far.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello
I noticed since when i first purchased my xlt ranger there is a noise when switching from PARK TO DRIVE AND DRIVE TO REVERSE. Doesnt do it going into Neutral.Is this normal its not the whine by the way more of a clunk. no issues so far.
Hi Lisandro,

Sounds like possible driveshaft windup.. With the vehicle in neutral and the parking brake applied, loosen the two bolts that hold the center bearing of the front driveshaft...sort of shake the rear drive shaft...it won't move much if at all. Then retighten the bolts as it sort of neutralized the two piece driveshaft assemble. This does not always work, but it is easy and worth a try.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
LISANDRO

LISANDRO

First Name
Lisandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Hi Lisandro,

Sounds like possible driveshaft windup.. With the vehicle in neutral and the parking brake applied, loosen the two bolts that hold the center bearing of the front driveshaft...sort of shake the rear drive shaft...it won't move much if at all. Then retighten the bolts as it sort of neutralized the two piece driveshaft assemble. This does not always work, but it is easy and worth a try.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil
Is this something that will effect the truck in any way? Thanks for the tip.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil
Is this something that will effect the truck in any way? Thanks for the tip.
Hi Lisandro,

Likely not hurting the truck, but without evaluating it I can't be sure. A visit to a dealership for evaluation would be helpful to see if they think it is something more than just a normal driveline clunk.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
LISANDRO

LISANDRO

First Name
Lisandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Hi Lisandro,

Likely not hurting the truck, but without evaluating it I can't be sure. A visit to a dealership for evaluation would be helpful to see if they think it is something more than just a normal driveline clunk.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thank you very much.

Junior Blue

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightening Blue Ranger Lariat Crew
Thank you very much.
Hi Lisandro
Do you still have the clunk when shifting from Park to Drive? Did you try to loosen the bolts on the center bearing? Did that fix your ckunk?
I have the clunk also as you did, when shifting. Dealer told me that it's normal. I was wondering how you made out with your truck. Mine is a '19 Lariat RWD.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Pete
Sponsored