RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is definitely fixing it they have had delays due to the COVID 19- and really have been very cooperative. This being the first Ranger in a while probably should have waited to buy after they got the kinks out. My worry is this going to happen again and if they can figure out why this happened and will this affect the value of my truck should I decide to trade.
This isn't really a new Ranger - most of the truck is the same as has been in the rest of the world since 2012 or so. The engine is a slight derivation of the Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost but the transmission has been in the F-150 for 3+ years now. So there really isn't a whole lot "new" about the truck other than the new production line they created to build it.
Sponsored

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
true, the clutch is the weak link in a manual tranny, but it's a cheap fix compared to a dead fancy computer-controlled 10 speed auto...out of 8 vehicles with manuals I only had to replace one clutch...

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
Ford is definitely fixing it they have had delays due to the COVID 19- and really have been very cooperative. This being the first Ranger in a while probably should have waited to buy after they got the kinks out. My worry is this going to happen again and if they can figure out why this happened and will this affect the value of my truck should I decide to trade.
My new ranger had a warped drivers side window and although Ford covered it the replacement took two weeks due to covid-19 delays when the service dept told me its normally 48 hrs to get glass.
My Lee shell has be done for 10 days but the factory is closed due to covid so its sitting on a rack waiting to be loaded.
I'm sure Ford will do their best to get your Ranger going again.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Ranger a year now and have 14855 miles and no problems it looks like you have unfortunately had bad luck. Not only that Ford has done a lot of content removal and new packages you Have to buy on the 2020 Ranger I'm glad I bought a 2019.

Sam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, Sport, 4X2
Occupation
Office Manager
Sorry hear your having transmission issues. It’s nice to see others Ranger owner from Bluffton SC. Here on the forum!

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Have been a few issues with the 10 speed autos here too, mostly the late 2019 build ones. Basically people are travelling along and next minute - suddenly no more drive. The oil pump drive has been blamed for some and software for others.

Romac

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
I’m concerned about this, noticed some weird hard shifts, and in the morning after it’s been sitting and I start the truck and put it in reverse, there’s a definite delay in engagement.

I googled while back and read quite a few problems from the F150 owners with the 10 speed as well. Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come. I haven’t taken to the dealership because things are so hard to replicate that I know how my local dealer service centers will handle it (test drive, day they see/hear/feel nothing wrong, can’t be replicated and send me out the door).

I’ve had mine since Christmas week 2019, never used 4x4 as we never had any snow, never towed, never hauled anything more than some plywood or a lawn mower to date. Maybe 2700 miles. Those quick to question the misappropriate use of 4x4 by the op etc, I wouldn’t jump the gun. Seems like there’s some of these 10 speeds out there with some weird quirks.

I know a couple of you mentioned software related failures, has their been any sort of update released?

Romac

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
"Those quick to question the misappropriate use of 4x4 by the op etc "

its not necessarily him doing it directly on purpose, theres the thread on the inadvertant activation of the 4X4 system because of the knob location, which many, including myself have done on several occasions.
someone who knows that feeling of "hopping" and "stalling" as the OP described know exactly what happened soon after, those with little 4X4 experience may not.
Ah I gotcha ! Yeah that could be a problem. I’ve accidentally spun mine into 4x4 once but while in park so I could see how someone could knock it in and not realize it. For the life of me I can’t understand why that I’d designed that way. Either a more traditional lever or button or at the very least that knob should have some resistance to it

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Have been a few issues with the 10 speed autos here too, mostly the late 2019 build ones. Basically people are travelling along and next minute - suddenly no more drive. The oil pump drive has been blamed for some and software for others.
Keep in mind my Ford Everest is different but the same in many ways.
I had a recall in Feb for the TCM and PCM software. It needed to be updated bc Ford determined that it could cause pump gear failure in the transmission. It is a 4x4 with the Ten speed.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Oh yes I'm aware of the differences with the Everest, the problem has been in both Rangers and Everest models. It's hard to know the extent because the 10 speed is only available here with the 2 litre Biturbo diesel that is compulsory if you buy a Raptor or top of the line Everest, but optional on the other models. The rest still use the 3.2 or 2.2 and the 6R80 or manual box.
Most buyers prefer the tried and true 3.2 and 2.2 models instead of the highly strung Bi Turbo. It's a lot more money an for a lousy 10 more Kw and a few more NM of totque.

I'd post a link to the Aus Newranger forums thread about this, but it's unfortunately not an open forum.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Oh yes I'm aware of the differences with the Everest, the problem has been in both Rangers and Everest models. It's hard to know the extent because the 10 speed is only available here with the 2 litre Biturbo diesel that is compulsory if you buy a Raptor or top of the line Everest, but optional on the other models. The rest still use the 3.2 or 2.2 and the 6R80 or manual box.
Most buyers prefer the tried and true 3.2 and 2.2 models instead of the highly strung Bi Turbo. It's a lot more money an for a lousy 10 more Kw and a few more NM of totque.

I'd post a link to the Aus Newranger forums thread about this, but it's unfortunately not an open forum.
I just glanced at your location, so yeah you know the deal. I really hope these Bi turbos turn out to be solid enigines, bc we did not have a option other than the 2.0 or 2.0 bi. Personally, I wish they would have slammed the Bi turbo on the 3.2ltr. The ten speeds have held up in the states , but like everything, that bad batch is just waiting to take a peak. Toyota has had their fare share of bad things also. Just the way mechanical machines with computer brains work.

Tim G.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Occupational Health and Safety
I’m concerned about this, noticed some weird hard shifts, and in the morning after it’s been sitting and I start the truck and put it in reverse, there’s a definite delay in engagement.

I googled while back and read quite a few problems from the F150 owners with the 10 speed as well. Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come. I haven’t taken to the dealership because things are so hard to replicate that I know how my local dealer service centers will handle it (test drive, day they see/hear/feel nothing wrong, can’t be replicated and send me out the door).

I’ve had mine since Christmas week 2019, never used 4x4 as we never had any snow, never towed, never hauled anything more than some plywood or a lawn mower to date. Maybe 2700 miles. Those quick to question the misappropriate use of 4x4 by the op etc, I wouldn’t jump the gun. Seems like there’s some of these 10 speeds out there with some weird quirks.

I know a couple of you mentioned software related failures, has their been any sort of update released?
my brother has a 2017 raptor with 30k on it and hes had it in the shop for a total of almost 40 days with transmission issues, they cant figure it out. hes had extemely rough shifts, when going from park to drive the trans SLAMS into gear extremely hard and hes gotten it locked in 7th gear and couldnt get it out. my dad also had the 1st gen f 150 ecoboost and he had the exact same problems with rough shifting and slamming from park to drive. Ford needs to stop messing around and just put the ZF 8 speed that everyone and their mother is using because its incredible. I have a 2017 dodge charger daytona 392 and the 8 speed is incredible, shifts smoother than the 10 speed and is extremely quick

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
Transmission completely died at 11767 miles on Ranger 2019. Anyone else had this problem?
Sorry to hear this. It's certainly a very, very rare happening . I've never heard of even 1 before this post. Keep us posted pls. Show a work order maybe or something. Tacoma World members are extremely jealous of the new Ranger thus troll us here often. U understand.
Sponsored