Trans-America Trail

• Thread starter Deleted member 1634
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Deleted member 1634

Do you guys think a stock FX4 Ranger would be able to do the Trans-America Trail (and similar)? I have grand plans of doing overlanding trips like that and want to know if I have to do more to my truck. Ideally my brother will have his truck by then (either a used Taco or new Bronco if I can convince him haha), and my cousin has been modifying a used Grand Cherokee for overlanding. So I think it'd be fun to do a family overlanding trip like that. In the end this is a question of how bad the TAT can get and whether they quite capable FX4 can still handle that.

I know the Ranger Station guy did it in a 2019 Ranger last year, but he modified his for it.

I'm also very interested in following the TFL guys on their "No Pavement Needed" series, doing the TAT, they are going to be doing this summer. They've also modified their vehicles for the trip, but they modify everything.

Any thoughts would be nice, especially from those who have done the TAT previously, whether in a Ranger or not.
Sponsored

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
The guy from Ranger station only added a light bar and some mud terrains. Since his was a loaner, he was not permitted to make many changes.

My build has been to run the TAT. Several Wrangler guys, and I found a FJ couple to benchmark, so to speak. they said they felt a 2 inch lift would have been good for their TJ or JK, also they were glad they had winches, though never used.. While I have asked, people, and they say all-terrains are fine, but so far the majority I have followed, have run mud terrains.

Stock, probably, but as someone who over does things, especially when it comes to safety, I know I have overbuilt and probably over bought. But Amazon doesn't deliver in 24 hours in the middle of nowhere, well yet anyway.

So at the end of July, I am calling a time-out in life, my plans are to leave from North Carolina and spend at least 2 months to wander America by the TAT back roads. Nope, don't plan to go to LA, by way of Omaha.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1634

The guy from Ranger station only added a light bar and some mud terrains. Since his was a loaner, he was not permitted to make many changes.

My build has been to run the TAT. Several Wrangler guys, and I found a FJ couple to benchmark, so to speak. they said they felt a 2 inch lift would have been good for their TJ or JK, also they were glad they had winches, though never used.. While I have asked, people, and they say all-terrains are fine, but so far the majority I have followed, have run mud terrains.

Stock, probably, but as someone who over does things, especially when it comes to safety, I know I have overbuilt and probably over bought. But Amazon doesn't deliver in 24 hours in the middle of nowhere, well yet anyway.

So at the end of July, I am calling a time-out in life, my plans are to leave from North Carolina and spend at least 2 months to wander America by the TAT back roads. Nope, don't plan to go to LA, by way of Omaha.
I think the saving grace to most of it is that I don't plan on doing it alone. As I said, I'd like to do it with my brother and cousin in their rigs. If nothing else just to have a family adventure. I know my cousin has already done quite a bit of Jeep trail and mud running with his. And my brother will outfit his rig very well when he gets it, knowing him. haha I also have straps and a come-along in the truck at all times anyways. As far as safety and recovery gear, I'm very well covered in that regard and always am. I tend to overprepare when it comes to that.

And I guess the other thing is I don't necessarily plan to spend a couple months and do the whole thing either. I'd be fine cutting around bad areas and only doing sections at a time. I was thinking about just doing the Minnesota to Colorado spur to start with, because I'm sure that'll be pretty much just dirt and gravel roads and nothing too crazy. Plus, I live in Minnesota, so it'd be easy to get to the start point. Just to get my feet wet and see how it is.

In the end, I really don't want to spend money modifying my truck, just to do this type of thing once in a blue moon, and ruin it's performance as a daily driver and family road trip vehicle.

I'll just follow along with you and the TFL guys this summer to see how it goes for you guys to learn more. I'm all about learning everything I can before jumping into something.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I don't know a lot about the Trans America Trail, but judging from the abilities I've seen from my Ranger so far, and how well it's done on the trails I've taken it on, I wouldn't hesitate to do the TAT. Unless there's any really serious rock crawling, I have no doubts in the ranger's abilities.

Of course driver's experience, and knowing first hand what your truck can do makes a big difference too. I'd certainly recommend going out and running a lot of local trails and pushing you and your truck beyond your limits, before taking on a long distance unknown journey.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Matt,the only thing I would consider changing out are the stock tires. I remember some older posts where a few members punctured theirs (sidewalls) very easily. Those posts were the main reason I changed mine out a month after I got my Ranger. I didn't want to be out in the middle of the desert changing a tire or worse stranded with a double puncture. I know for basic off roading and fire roads the stock ones are good but I wouldn't feel comfortable going through anything that's rocky. I always try to plan ahead and expect the worse but hope for the best. Plus Murphy's law if it's going to happen it'll happen to me. lol ?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1634

I don't know a lot about the Trans America Trail, but judging from the abilities I've seen from my Ranger so far, and how well it's done on the trails I've taken it on, I wouldn't hesitate to do the TAT. Unless there's any really serious rock crawling, I have no doubts in the ranger's abilities.

Of course driver's experience, and knowing first hand what your truck can do makes a big difference too. I'd certainly recommend going out and running a lot of local trails and pushing you and your truck beyond your limits, before taking on a long distance unknown journey.
I feel the same. Just judging by what I have done already without any issue at all, and by seeing what others have done (both on here and other places online), I'm happy with what this thing is capable of.

I've been off-road driving since I was 12, sitting on an apple box in our 1992 Explorer (I'm not that old haha). And luckily I had a good teacher in my dad who made it a point to take my brother and I out and do things like this early on. I also was made to plow the driveway (in the same Explorer) from then forward as well, so that helped with spacial skills and technical driving. I'm nowhere near the best, but I was given a lot of opportunities when I was young to learn what I would.

I'm also not too proud to turn around and give up. haha If the going gets tough, I'll turn around and find a different way. Been there, done that already. I think that's the nice thing about the TAT, there are plenty of detours and paved roads to get around bad sections. From my research it seems like the difficult parts are going through and over the Rockies, which is not on my list anytime soon, if at all.

I keep just waiting for my brother to get his truck (whatever it ends up being) so we can go out together. I don't really have any off-road support otherwise. So I'm not willing to go out and push the limits without back-up. Hitting up the TAT is a long term goal, many years from now, so I should have plenty of ideas by then.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Matt,the only thing I would consider changing out are the stock tires. I remember some older posts where a few members punctured theirs (sidewalls) very easily. Those posts were the main reason I changed mine out a month after I got my Ranger. I didn't want to be out in the middle of the desert changing a tire or worse stranded with a double puncture. I know for basic off roading and fire roads the stock ones are good but I wouldn't feel comfortable going through anything that's rocky. I always try to plan ahead and expect the worse but hope for the best. Plus Murphy's law if it's going to happen it'll happen to me. lol ?
Are your Nittos LT E ?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1634

Yeah, you've got good points. I am the same in my planning for the worst. Most of the stuff I have in the truck has never been used, but it's always there if it ever has to.

This may end up being an excuse to upgrade my tires when I need to. I have been going back and forth on getting something more aggressive like Wildpeaks or Duratracs. Not only for more aggressive off-road traction, but also to help with winter driving. Currently I'll just ride this set of tires out (they should be done in a couple years anyways at the rate I drive), and maybe get a set of dedicated snow tires in the meantime. Then when these are done, I'll look into getting a more aggressive set.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It all really depends on what kind of clearance you need. Im up here in the Rockies in Colorado and some of the trails.are fine for stock but others you need the extra clearance up front at minimum. After I installed the Old Man EMU lift kit it has been doing well for the most part. The only thing that is limiting the truck is no lockers at this time. Also i have 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's and they hold up nicely to most everything out there. Hope that gives you an idea on what to do.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Are your Nittos LT E ?
No they're not the LT's. Those are a higher rated tire for sure but also a heavier tire too. I just wanted something more aggressive than stock without killing my gas mileage and the Nitto's achieved that.

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 12.08.55 PM.jpg

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If you can only make one mod, get different tires.

If you can get tires and add a winch, you should be golden.

GitOutOffRoad did the TAT in a stock 3rd gen Mitsubishi Montero.

While the 3rd gen Montero is a great truck (I had a 2003 for 16 years) and has an impressive traction control system, it doesn't come close to the Ranger with a locker and its traction control system.

They did a 3 part video series that will give you a good idea of what to expect.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agreed, better tires are definitely a must.

Also everyone one here seems to be obsessed with the idea that E rated tires will kill your fuel mileage. Well, I was still able to get close to 25mpg on the highway on my last trip. current tank average is at 22.6, which includes about 100 miles of highway, and 100 ish of mix between 4H dirt gravel roads, and short around town trips (computer has been within 1/2 of hand calculated).

For long distance varied terrain travel like the TAT, I would seriously consider an E rated tire, especially something noted for having increased sidewall strength.
If you're worried about fuel mileage don't get something huge - 235 - 255 width is perfect for either 32 or 33" tire. And narrower is arguably better offroad as well.

SVT-Raptor

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
I did the TAT in 2018 on a KTM 1190R motorcycle. There are a few areas depending on what time of year I’d avoid with a any 4x4. But any of the passes that are “ un-passible“ can be avoided. Definitely do it.... just plan... and have several back up plans. Lol ( part of the excitement)

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did the TAT in 2018 on a KTM 1190R motorcycle. There are a few areas depending on what time of year I’d avoid with a any 4x4. But any of the passes that are “ un-passible“ can be avoided. Definitely do it.... just plan... and have several back up plans. Lol ( part of the excitement)
Out of curiosity, can I ask what about those areas and what conditions would make you want to avoid them?

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Fear of heights and "air guardrails" on ridges are 2 things to consider.

The climb up NM county road B037 (from NM 456) to get to Branson, CO. (CO county Road 4) was a 7 minute climb with a couple of switch backs and some big views. I would do this again.

Warloop Road (NF1007 to Hollow Branch Lane) dead end segment before you get to Mountainburg, Arkansas (near Lake FT. Smith), I should not have done and wouldn't do again. Kept expecting a road block. road had not been maintained for what appeared to be about a decade. Rocks were worse than ruts, plus sneaking through the over growth. and once you get into it , no real turn around spots.
Sponsored

Last edited: