trailer without brakes

JPB237

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Hello I currently have a explorer sport trac a I tow a utv side by side that weights about 1500 lbs on an alum trailer that weights about 900 lbs and if any of yous owned a sport trac you know the brakes weren't the greatest on these (soft petal ) I was wondering if anyone pulls a trailer without brakes with simalair weight and how the stopping is with the new ranger Im in the market for a new truck and don't know if I should get the ranger or move up to the f 150 thanks
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Hello I currently have a explorer sport trac a I tow a utv side by side that weights about 1500 lbs on an alum trailer that weights about 900 lbs and if any of yous owned a sport trac you know the brakes weren't the greatest on these (soft petal ) I was wondering if anyone pulls a trailer without brakes with simalair weight and how the stopping is with the new ranger Im in the market for a new truck and don't know if I should get the ranger or move up to the f 150 thanks
Your answer is as plain as a look through the wheel.
The Ranger' brakes are huge and effective. Vented discs front and rear each more than 12X1.
Too bad you didn't fix the soft pedal problem on your SporTrac.
At any rate you would love brakes on your trailer and they don't cost much.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I had a couple Tracs, 01 and a 10, both lifted. My snowmobile trailer with a couple sleds in it should be pretty close to what you are towing and basically you would hardly know its back there when accelerating or braking. You,ll be fine, much better than the ST,

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I have pulled my 1996 SeaDoo Speedster on its trailer a few different times with no trailer brakes. Total weight is probably somewhere around 1700-1800lbs I'm guessing, and the Ranger's brakes do a great job of slowing it down on their own.

You may want to read up on what Ford recommends for trailer weight before they recommend trailer brakes in order to cover yourself if anything bad happens. There's a story on the internet floating around about a Chevy Colorado or some GM crap that was pulling a trailer slightly over the weight limit with no trailer brakes when it should have had them, and the truck frame bent somehow. That was GM's reasoning behind not covering the damage under warranty. Not sure if that has been resolved yet, but just a heads up.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have pulled my 1996 SeaDoo Speedster on its trailer a few different times with no trailer brakes. Total weight is probably somewhere around 1700-1800lbs I'm guessing, and the Ranger's brakes do a great job of slowing it down on their own.

You may want to read up on what Ford recommends for trailer weight before they recommend trailer brakes in order to cover yourself if anything bad happens. There's a story on the internet floating around about a Chevy Colorado or some GM crap that was pulling a trailer slightly over the weight limit with no trailer brakes when it should have had them, and the truck frame bent somehow. That was GM's reasoning behind not covering the damage under warranty. Not sure if that has been resolved yet, but just a heads up.
Hi Folks,

I wholly recommend owners stick with the Ford developed maximums for Trailer tow...not for warranty issues as indicated above as this story might be a tail, not truth....The reason is more the litigious nature of today's environment. If you exceed factory data you leave yourself wide open if something happens...Ford tests for to ensure the published numbers for GVW, GCW etc. are within the capability of the truck as sold. When you exceed these numbers, you are are in thin ice! You are kidding yourself if you think nothing will happen to me.... Please stick by the book? I have participated behind the scenes in many lawsuits and I saw this time and time again where people over loaded or over towed. Okay...I step off my soap box!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
If you look at the typical "snowmobile" type trailer with 8" wheels and a torsion axle, you will see a plate with 4 holes in it, on the trailing arm just behind the spindle.
That plate is there to mount the backing plate for 7" electric brakes.
You can buy a complete kit, drums and all including the cable with a 7 pin RV plug for considerably less than $200.
While a trailer under 2000 pounds may not need brakes, the advantages are many.
A modern brake controller anticipates braking and eliminates all push from the trailer.
Trailer brakes can keep the trailer behind you on wet or slick surfaces or in a panic stop.
They will save enough wear on your truck brakes to pay for themselves.
Some states have excessive requirements for brakes as low as 1000 pounds, so if you go to New York for example you could be subject to great inconvenience and fines.

All aside, if your truck has a tow package, Trailer brakes offer the advantages of comfort and control and the savings in wear and tear. All this says..."advantage trailer brakes"

One more simple observation, I have witnessed way too many vehicles towing light trailers who drive at the same or higher speeds than they would with no trailer. If you simply can't slow down a little, you should at least provide yourself with every reasonable advantage.
If you ever actually experience uncontrolled sway or see the results in the ditch it will affect your towing habits.

Regardless of what the lawyers, states, or manufacturers say, you should educate yourself and take responsibility when you tow.
You can of course be safe towing a light trailer without brakes . Brakes are ultimately only a single factor of many,
Tires , speed, road conditions, traffic,etc.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
One more simple observation, I have witnessed way too many vehicles towing light trailers who drive at the same or higher speeds than they would with no trailer. If you simply can't slow down a little, you should at least provide yourself with every reasonable advantage.
If you ever actually experience uncontrolled sway or see the results in the ditch it will affect your towing habits
sway aside, it's also worth paying attention to the speed rating on the trailer tires (the default is 65MPH for ST's).

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Just be sure you stay legal. Most states require trailer brakes for trailers over some weight. It varies by state (so be sure to check if you drive interstate).

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You won't have any problem with a 2500# trailer stopping, until you have to slam on the brakes & stop short, or stop on a curve at speed in the wet. Once you get in that situation, there is no control of the load or trailer, you're just a passenger along for the ride as things go wrong.

We added brakes to our 1700# teardrop trailer after it went on a scale & I'm glad we did. I figured it was about 1200#, but was wrong. It's a night & day difference in stopping, gravel, mountains & wet conditions. It feels like a car now when stopping, no surprises. I have a small utility trailer I run without brakes, but anything over 1500# will get you in trouble fast if things go wrong at speed. For what it costs, it just isn't worth the trouble a few hundred dollars can save you in time and problems if things go wrong.

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package

If it's the same one I am thinking about. There is a picture of that truck and the damage going around. As I understand it, the real story is that the guy was on a gravel/sandy road going way too fast for the conditions and hit small but steep hill in the road which he caught air on and that's how he bent the frame on the truck and the trailer had some damage to it as well.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
If it's the same one I am thinking about. There is a picture of that truck and the damage going around. As I understand it, the real story is that the guy was on a gravel/sandy road going way too fast for the conditions and hit small but steep hill in the road which he caught air on and that's how he bent the frame on the truck and the trailer had some damage to it as well.
I have two buddies that feel when the tow, they have to go faster. Seriously I think it's an overload of testosterone. Several times they've left me in the dust. Maybe it's my age but I definitely slow down and allow more distance for stopping. My toy hauler and ATV trailers have brakes.

One has a Tacoma that he constantly overloads it and tows way more then it should. He, like every Tacoma owner I know, swears this is the best truck out there. Has long conversations about how great they are while I'm picking him up as he wheel bearings are being changed for the third time. He's had U-Joints changed as well...several times. The paint is horrible with cracks and peeling all over but hey, it's a Toyota. Lol

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
You won't have any problem with a 2500# trailer stopping, until you have to slam on the brakes & stop short, or stop on a curve at speed in the wet. Once you get in that situation, there is no control of the load or trailer, you're just a passenger along for the ride as things go wrong.

We added brakes to our 1700# teardrop trailer after it went on a scale & I'm glad we did. I figured it was about 1200#, but was wrong. It's a night & day difference in stopping, gravel, mountains & wet conditions. It feels like a car now when stopping, no surprises. I have a small utility trailer I run without brakes, but anything over 1500# will get you in trouble fast if things go wrong at speed. For what it costs, it just isn't worth the trouble a few hundred dollars can save you in time and problems if things go wrong.
I finally used the Ranger to pull my 6x12 dual axle enclosed trailer with my Goldwing in it (just to the other side of town to the shop...nail in my rear tire). Total weight to the shop approx 2800#. On the way home it was empty, so around 1850#. We normally pull this trailer with my wife's 2013 F-150 with a TBC. I don't have a TBC yet for the Ranger.

No problems pulling it, getting up to speed, cruising on the interstate and keeping up with traffic to or from the shop. I told the wife when I got back I sure did notice that I didn't have a TBC. Even though I didn't strain the truck stopping, you could absolutely tell the difference as the weight pushes you.

I agree with you about anything over 1500# should have brakes. I will be adding a TBC once Ford decides to release one for the Ranger. If it is the Redarc, will probably go aftermarket on it unless something is unique to the Ranger from Ford.

As a side note, using a 7 pin connector, there is a constant 12v going to the trailer when the truck is running.

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package
I have two buddies that feel when the tow, they have to go faster. Seriously I think it's an overload of testosterone. Several times they've left me in the dust. Maybe it's my age but I definitely slow down and allow more distance for stopping. My toy hauler and ATV trailers have brakes.

One has a Tacoma that he constantly overloads it and tows way more then it should. He, like every Tacoma owner I know, swears this is the best truck out there. Has long conversations about how great they are while I'm picking him up as he wheel bearings are being changed for the third time. He's had U-Joints changed as well...several times. The paint is horrible with cracks and peeling all over but hey, it's a Toyota. Lol

I see that alot on the highways here in Texas. People with trucks pulling trailers going way faster than is safe. I ask myself, are they all really in that big of a hurry or is it some kind of showing off.

Tell your Tacoma friend to look into his auto insurance and what happens should he wreck with an over loaded trailer/truck. He might be surprised at what he finds out.

Before ordering my Ranger, I looked into all the mid size trucks except Toyota. I just never have liked them. I am on my fifth new Nissan since 1993 as of right now. They have all mostly been impeccable. A relative has a 2015 F-150 Lariat 3.5 EcoBoost. I never would have considered a Ranger until I spent some time in that F-150.
Sponsored