Trailer Hookup Cancels ASS?

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed today that connecting my trailer lights negates the Automatic Start Stop function on mine. Normal?
Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Yeah this is a known "fix" to disable ASS. Plus in one of those lighted hitch covers, boom.

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
The way I understand it ... anything that draws power will disable it. I went with the LED night light in the back 110 socket ... $3 fix

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Yeah this is a known "fix" to disable ASS. Plus in one of those lighted hitch covers, boom.
Plugging anything into the trailer connector also disables the cross-traffic alert and rear parking sensors. It also messes with the blind spot detection.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed today that connecting my trailer lights negates the Automatic Start Stop function on mine. Normal?
Maybe it has to do with keeping power to the trailer’s brakes? I don’t tow a thing so, I can’t say for sure.

Reminds me of a time when a colleague was towing one of our company Boler trailers back from an event. Our cars had a plate attached to the car’s brake pedal to activate the electric trailer brakes. Somehow, he messed up the wires on the cheap connector (4-pin maybe). He was cursing and trying to force the two plugs together - I didn’t think he knew what he was doing but he was stubborn and wouldn’t accept any help.

I was following him back to the office and all was fine until we got to a long tunnel where you have to turn on your lights. I guess he had the trailer brake lead jammed into the trailer light lead. I’ve never seen so much smoke coming from a wheel before. To make it worse, he never turned off the lights when he got through the tunnel and ignored my flashing lights and horn.

Back at the office, he said “It felt a little sluggish.”

OP
OP
The Long Ranger

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
Plugging anything into the trailer connector also disables the cross-traffic alert and rear parking sensors. It also messes with the blind spot detection.
Actually on mine it requested the trailer length but didn't give any indication that the ASS would be disabled.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Actually on mine it requested the trailer length but didn't give any indication that the ASS would be disabled.
I actually did not say it disabled ASS the OP did. And the only indication ASS is disabled is the symbol in the dash gets a slash through it, no warning popup. I have my ASS disabled in Forscan so I don't notice if plugging a trailer in disables it or not.

Mark Sitter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I used the trailer wiring test plug to disable ASS. Harbor Freight, $4.00. The reason it is disabled with trailer is you need to be able to accelerate from a stop quickly like when making a left turn into traffic and the trailer confuses the sensors. This however disabled the cross traffic alert, rear park sensors(trailer drives them nuts) and the backup camera guide lines along with the ASS and gave a notice on the dash for most of the disabling. I finally got the Autostop Eliminator after seeing it on sale at the website. Now the rear nannys resumed working and the ASS is automatically disabled on every start by remembering the switch setting last used.
Sponsored