First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Ford has written down profits for the year, and GM has surged in contrast. It makes Ford look vulnerable but here I think we all know a superior product is best for consumers.

Ford holds their own paper on 0% interest (as I suspect Toyota would be) and keep in mind there are Toyota plants here in America.

You can debate residual value if that's what is important, but for window sticker prices+features and value the Ranger still seems like the smart 'investment' if you get that interest-free loan.
Sponsored

No14me

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Mazda B2600 Cab Plus 4x4
Ford has written down profits for the year, and GM has surged in contrast. It makes Ford look vulnerable but here I think we all know a superior product is best for consumers.

Ford holds their own paper on 0% interest (as I suspect Toyota would be) and keep in mind there are Toyota plants here in America.

You can debate residual value if that's what is important, but for window sticker prices+features and value the Ranger still seems like the smart 'investment' if you get that interest-free loan.
but at 0 financing you lose all rebates , and if you take all rebates you have to use for other financing from Ford it’s like 6-8%.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
but at 0 financing you lose all rebates , and if you take all rebates you have to use for other financing from Ford it’s like 6-8%.
I'd definitely take cash + a decent third party rate over 0%.

No14me

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Mazda B2600 Cab Plus 4x4
I'd definitely take cash + a decent third party rate over 0%.
If you bring cash you some of rebates , about half it seems. Believe me Ford/dealership is not going to lose money here. Exactly why there is still lots of 19s on lots. Informed consumers who want to buy and don’t have to will just wait.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
When I financed my ordered 2020 at the end of April, I got 1.9% with a 4 year loan plus all the then current incentives.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Not me. I got rebates + 0% AND my dealer knocked off destination fees plus a paltry $500 to get me to sign. It was the last day of last September.

Granted I put down almost half in cash.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Has Toyota ever offered 0% on Tacoma? I don't think I've seen that before. :question:

TheKracka

First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
To me Toyota has plateaued with their vehicles in regards to technology, like they have a name and they know it'll sell without adding anything to it. For instance why do Taco's still have rear drum brakes? Like they're just building them cheap as possible with surplus parts they have to yield the most profit.

What sold me on my Ranger is I found a dealer to give me the discounts plus 0%. There were others that didn't want to give rebates with the 0%, they just didn't want my business I suppose.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I was looking at Tacomas before buying a Ranger and was surprised that rear brakes are drums - Toyota claims in part this is because drum brakes are more protected from dirt in off road , below is a link to a Toyota engineer discussing at the 6 minute mark - it's done in Ouray CO where the mtns are impressive. I go to Telluride several times a year and definately Tacomas are the locals choice owing to Toyota reliability. Having said that I've seen a number of reviews that are increasing critical of Toyota drivetrains - harshness and unrefined compared to competitors and in a friend's Tacoma there was a lot of tranny hunting going up I-70 into the mtns. My son bought a 2016 which has the 4.0 and this is regarded as a better engine than the current 3.5 V6. In Colorado though Toyota remains no 1 in overall sales. Tacomas do perform very well on rugged 4wd roads - possibly better than a Ranger or Colorado. Seating position was too uncomfortable for my taste - very low.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I was looking at Tacomas before buying a Ranger and was surprised that rear brakes are drums - Toyota claims in part this is because drum brakes are more protected from dirt in off road.
That's quite a reach of statement for him to make. It implies a lot of things that I'd like to see proven by Toyota such as if the intent of the Tacoma line is to go off-road and thus that's why they stuck with drum brakes on the rear axles, then why aren't all Tacomas similarly equipped to actually go off-roading like the truck he keeps using as a reference in the video. The reality is that very few of truck owners in general, large or small, take their trucks off-roading and certainly not into environments where the supposed "advantage" that drum brakes have with regards to soiling in comparison to disc brakes would justify such an engineering decision.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I was looking at Tacomas before buying a Ranger and was surprised that rear brakes are drums - Toyota claims in part this is because drum brakes are more protected from dirt in off road , below is a link to a Toyota engineer discussing at the 6 minute mark - it's done in Ouray CO where the mtns are impressive. I go to Telluride several times a year and definately Tacomas are the locals choice owing to Toyota reliability. Having said that I've seen a number of reviews that are increasing critical of Toyota drivetrains - harshness and unrefined compared to competitors and in a friend's Tacoma there was a lot of tranny hunting going up I-70 into the mtns. My son bought a 2016 which has the 4.0 and this is regarded as a better engine than the current 3.5 V6. In Colorado though Toyota remains no 1 in overall sales. Tacomas do perform very well on rugged 4wd roads - possibly better than a Ranger or Colorado. Seating position was too uncomfortable for my taste - very low.

I have the 4.0 in my 2011 Tacoma. It is a much better performing motor than the current 3.5L v6. The 4.0 is also really reliable. The only negative that I have found is that the 4.0L is a thirsty motor.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That's quite a reach of statement for him to make. It implies a lot of things that I'd like to see proven by Toyota such as if the intent of the Tacoma line is to go off-road and thus that's why they stuck with drum brakes on the rear axles, then why aren't all Tacomas similarly equipped to actually go off-roading like the truck he keeps using as a reference in the video. The reality is that very few of truck owners in general, large or small, take their trucks off-roading and certainly not into environments where the supposed "advantage" that drum brakes have with regards to soiling in comparison to disc brakes would justify such an engineering decision.
I think the primary advantage of drum brakes is that they are cheaper, although they do make a better parking brake system than discs.

The functional superiority of drum brakes is probably why there are so many kits out there to convert from rear disc brakes to drum brakes. Oh wait...

Even Toyota's own FJ Cruiser, sharing many parts with the Tacoma and even more off-road oriented, is rear disc.

This is marketing speak to try and make a cost cutting measure sound like a good thing done solely for your benefit.

When the Tacoma finally gets rear discs it will be lauded as an amazing performance improvement.
Sponsored

Last edited: