Towing with a leveling/lift kit

Kmjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4
What’re your experiences towing with a leveling/lift kit.? I am interested in purchasing a travel trailer once my tbc situation is dealt with. I would like to hear experiences of those who have any of the top manufacturers leveling kits or small lift kits <3.5
Sponsored

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
We use our '21 XLT for towing almost exclusively. You can read my other posts for more detail if you want, but here's a quick summary: Icon Stage 2, Icon 25 offset wheels, BFG KO2 285/70R17 (33's), Air Lift 5000 Ultra air bags with only the top attached, Shrockworks bumper with 12K winch, Shrockworks sliders, Shrockworks bash bits, Black Series HQ15 trailer with Equal-i-zer WDH and McHitch hitch. Trailer brakes upgraded to electric-hydraulic disc managed by a Redarc controller. All tires managed by PressurePro TPMS with temperature monitors. Camera system in side-mirrors, front bumper and back of trailer (truck is narrower than trailer by 6"). 27K miles now on a very wide variety of terrain (pavement, dirt, rocks, mud, sand, no snow yet); of these all good except sand (trailer is a single axle and sinks easily)). It took awhile to get everything dialed in, but we are very happy with how it has all come together. Service every 5K miles. No issues.

Caveats - your fuel mileage will suck - I've never seen >19 unladen and 14 while towing. At 55-60 we get in the mid 10's. With the bigger tires and trailer weight (6K lbs) the truck likes Sport mode the best, with me manually shifting on grades steeper than a couple of degrees.

Surprising plusses: This little truck hauls quite well considering the load. We've taken the rig up and down 14 degree roads with no issues (best be in 4L first gear for that). The WDH/Hitch setup gives good feedback with no sway when passing or being passed by big rigs or in sizeable side-winds.

Net-net we would do this again. People we travel with who have full size trucks can't make the off-road turns and navigate the narrows nearly as well, and we love being able to unhitch and go pretty much anywhere another similar off-road rig could reach. We're at the limit, really, and the engine may fail prematurely due to the load we put on it, but yes, we'd get another Ranger if this one dies.

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have the Rough Country 2.5in lift coil overs/struts. I tow my 20ft center console 10-30 miles one way 6-10 times a month. I checked my mileage today and averaged 15.3. Granted I’m in Charleston SC so other than going over so tall bridges it’s really flat here which helps the mileage. From what others on here have said changing the rears shocks will increase the overall ride and towing experience. I have the stock FX4 shocks and they seem really soft. I haven’t noticed any negative effects towing from installing the leveled struts. The most I have ever towed is roughly 5k lbs including tractor and dual axle trailer.

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Tremor with a 1 inch level. Sits great but too much squat with a teardrop. Added Sumo blues to the rear and all is well. Feels great towing now even off road and challenging grades.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Tremor with a 1" level. I don't tow often but a few weeks ago I borrowed a car trailer from a friend to bring my Factory Five Speedstar kit home. Not sure what the weight of the trailer was but it was all steel, maybe 2800 to 3000 lbs with the kit. There was no noticeable squat in the rear and the truck pulled it like there was nothing back there.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Those with leveling kits or lift kits that level the truck will experience the oh so wonderful "Squatting Dog" effect when Towing. The only way to correct that is to not level the truck before loading. Or do the Bandaid thing called adding air bags. Part of why a truck has this thing called Rake.

As for those that do a lift that doesn't level the truck it will depend. For example the 2019 I had was lifted with the Basic Old Man EMU lift kit. I did tow up to 5,500 LBS once and the truck was leveled after loading. Before the rear was jogher by 2 inches(measurements taken from the top of the wheel well) compared to the front. Also the truck did just fine with towing.

0803201851.jpg

0509201455.jpg

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Should be okay with a weight distributing hitch although curiously the owner's manual does not recommend using them. Was told here elsewhere that it's because the tongue weight that you need a W/D hitch for is above the Ranger's max but I don't see why you couldn't use one anyway with less weight.

Back in the day my uncle had a huge travel trailer that he towed with a Dodge Ramcharger. When he'd pry up the chains on the lift bars the back of the truck would instantly go up 6".

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Tremor with a 1 inch level. Sits great but too much squat with a teardrop. Added Sumo blues to the rear and all is well. Feels great towing now even off road and challenging grades.
I thought the Tremor had shorter bumpstops, are you using the generic 5G Ranger stops or are they specifically the height of the Tremor's? (Part # if you have it?)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I thought the Tremor had shorter bumpstops, are you using the generic 5G Ranger stops or are they specifically the height of the Tremor's? (Part # if you have it?)
The Tremor may not have shorter bump stops. Even with the leaf pack it isnt a huge difference like the Deaver pack

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Don't know. Just know the fit and work great!

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
I tow 2 SxSs regularly. Probably not as much weight as a camper but sstillnot light either. I've bought an Add a Leaf for the rear but haven't had a chance to get it on yet. But it's done fine so far. I do have the Redarc brake controller. I would say that's a must for heavy hauling.
Sponsored