First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed
Hey guys my truck didn’t come with towing package which makes me highly mad. I work in construction and I need to pull trailers. I called a off road truck accessories place near me and the wanted $650 to buy and install the hitch reciever . I researched on Amazon and found some from $115 - $250. Has anyone bought and installed a towing package. If so please share where and how much. I’m looking to install myself. I have don’t it before so no worries. I just feel like I can put one on my truck at a better price.
Sponsored

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Hey guys my truck didn’t come with towing package which makes me highly mad. I work in construction and I need to pull trailers. I called a off road truck accessories place near me and the wanted $650 to buy and install the hitch reciever . I researched on Amazon and found some from $115 - $250. Has anyone bought and installed a towing package. If so please share where and how much. I’m looking to install myself. I have don’t it before so no worries. I just feel like I can put one on my truck at a better price.
There have been numerous members here who have installed either the Drawtite or Curt hitch without issue. I installed the Curt hitch on my '19 and am satisfied with its performance.
It's a 1/2 hour job to install the receiver with simple tools. Here is a link from etrailer that details the aftermarket receiver options.
https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2019_Ford_Ranger.htm?msclkid=e2b57881db311be87d6e27fe7d7e77b0&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing | Search - Trailer Hitch - NV&utm_term=curt hitch&utm_content=Curt&Redirect=8

If you need to upgrade to the 7 pin connection, from your 4 pin, you can purchase a replacement wiring harness and 7/4 pin rear bumper connector from your Ford dealer.
Here is a link to a thread here..
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trailer-wiring-and-connector.2903/

There are also aftermarket options for the 7 pin, but I'll defer to others as I used the Ford OEM wiring harness and sleeve.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Our 2019 XLT came with the wiring installed including a 5 and 7 pin. Did Ford not do that in the 2020 version??

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Our 2019 XLT came with the wiring installed including a 5 and 7 pin. Did Ford not do that in the 2020 version??
For 2019 (and I believe 2020) Rangers, the 7 pin connector on the rear bumper facia is only provided if you order the factory towing package which includes the 2 in receiver integrated into the bumper. If you don't have the factory towing package, you get a 4 pin connector attached to the bottom of the bumper, and a hole for a tow ball on the bumper that is useless to most due to the bumper height.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Oh, so maybe our locale dealer added that... :thumbsup:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
it looks like you have the tow package. that includes a hitch receiver and the 4/7 pin sockets. without the tow package you get the wiring for the 7 pin socket (in most cases) but only the 4 pin is installed. in those cases you can remove the 4 pin and replace it with the 4/7 pin by buying additional parts.
Sponsored