Tow Point Rating

Ugly_Betty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
So I've checked the owner manuals for 2019-2021 Rangers and the only reference to the front tow points is that they exist (if equipped), no mention of weight rating. The F150 manual states not to put any more load on them than the GVWR of the vehicle. NOW....in using these as recovery points, are we really safe in hooking up a recovery strap to them for this purpose? I'm new to off-roading so I just want to make sure. What say you?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I've checked the owner manuals for 2019-2021 Rangers and the only reference to the front tow points is that they exist (if equipped), no mention of weight rating. The F150 manual states not to put any more load on them than the GVWR of the vehicle. NOW....in using these as recovery points, are we really safe in hooking up a recovery strap to them for this purpose? I'm new to off-roading so I just want to make sure. What say you?
Hi UB,

I wish the owner's manual was so much better than it is, so I do not know the tow points rating, but, in my opinion, based on the F Series....I think you are going to be just spot on fine at GVW...Now how do you assess that the points are at GVW when you are stuck? Use them and get out of trouble...if they bend....go buy some more... Damn lawyers are in the way here...

I recall entertaining a commerical where we hung a F series from a crane on one tow hook. Not sure if this ever took place, but our analysis was it would work. Statically. Not a snatch loading...do not know about the dynamic loading.

So bottom line....use them to get out of trouble...deal with the aftermath if any...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I agree with Phil here on this. When doing a recovery you usually want it to be a slow and steady movement when having to be pulled out of whatever.

Now I will state I did have to get pulled out of snow once last year...... Yeah I learned my lesson lol. It was another off roader in a Toyota 4Runner and we did the simple take it slow. It did just fine and didnt bend the front recovery points.

Hope this helps.

Hank the Tank

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Housing Case Manager, Full-time student
Vehicle Showcase
I was recovered from a snowy/icy slush utilizing the front recovery hooks. It was a simple tow rope recovery. Slack was slowly pulled out and then I was towed out. This was on a rough, narrow forest road. I haven't needed to be snatched out, but I would see no issue in using those same points for that.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Those front tow hooks are quite strong. The first time I took my FX4 off roading I went blind down a steep hill and planted myself nose first into the ground. I managed to reverse and thought I had just destroyed the bumper on my brand new truck. Turns out I landed directly on the passenger side tow hook, as that was the only point with any clay sticking, and saved my bumper.

Not saying it was holding the entire weight of the truck, but it definitely seemed like it!
Sponsored