Topper Questions - MPG effect

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
I think I'm leaning towards a top. I play and coach a ton of softball and I'd like to be able to leave all my equipment in the back most of the time. I'm thinking that all the in and out with a tonneau would get old pretty quickly as much as I'd be in and out of the bed, plus I can't carry my pitching machines with a hard cover. I also really like the look and it opens up the possibility of using it to camp out of, which is something I can see myself getting into in a few years when my kids are grown and gone.

I've searched through here (very helpful) and looked at countless pics and models. I've got a couple questions I haven't seen specifically addressed in other threads:

I'm a bit of a MPG geek. Nothing crazy or extreme, but I drive a few more miles than most and would rather improve efficiency whenever possible versus decreasing it (which will probably prevent me from leveling it). With that being said, I've read about slight MPG increases with hard covers. I'm wondering if anyone checked their MPG before/after adding a top? Any noticeable differences? I gotta think the improved air flow negates the little bit of extra weight. Speaking of weight, does it maybe improve the ride slightly, or nah?

Also, I priced an ARE Z2 and CX. I was quoted about $3700 for the Z2 and about $1k less for the CX. I also like one of the Leer models, the 100 something or other, but I haven't priced them yet. Out of Century, Leer, ARE, Jericho, are any of them significantly cheaper than the others? Just curious if anyone else has found a "bargain" (yes, I know that's laughable these days) brand/model for these Rangers before I start searching far and wide for various dealers. I like the aesthetic of the Z2 the best, but for $1k less, I think the CX looks great also. I don't need many bells and whistles....sliding side windows, dome light and keyless entry (depending on $)....that's it. Did anyone else do an extensive "best bang for the buck" kind of search?

TIA
Sponsored

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a leer, although I cant answer the MPG question I can speak to the Softball gear. I also coach (assistant) on a travel team so we do a bunch or driving and gear hauling. I love the cap for the exact reason you mention. I can leave gear in the back when at the fields and hotels, bigger stuff fits unlike with a tonneau and when it rains it all stays dry. I also keep a fridge in the rear so I dont have to worry about ice and dragging a cooler around. I went with the windoors (flip up sides) and that is the most critical change in my mind. I did sliders in the past and they offer no access to the rear. Good luck in your decision

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I have an RSI and I checked my before and after mpg. It decreased about 0.5 from the tonneau cover (which increased mpg 0.5-1mpg). To me, it is worth it. Accessibility in the rsi is great and keeps all of my gear dry and safe. it is fully lockable (wish it was keyless as there are 6 locks).
My kids love sleeping in it on the weekends even when we are at home.

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with a leer, although I cant answer the MPG question I can speak to the Softball gear. I also coach (assistant) on a travel team so we do a bunch or driving and gear hauling. I love the cap for the exact reason you mention. I can leave gear in the back when at the fields and hotels, bigger stuff fits unlike with a tonneau and when it rains it all stays dry. I also keep a fridge in the rear so I dont have to worry about ice and dragging a cooler around. I went with the windoors (flip up sides) and that is the most critical change in my mind. I did sliders in the past and they offer no access to the rear. Good luck in your decision
Thanks! Hadn't really considered the flip windows...but I could see that being the type of thing you'd immediately regret if you didn't get them! I'll have to reconsider....

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
If you want the best quality cap, RSI is the way to go. As @AutobotXJ said, the accessibility is amazing. They're easily stored since they come in 5 pieces instead of 1 giant, heavy, fiberglass piece and there's a ton of awesome ways you can change them up. You can get a camp kitchen that is accessible from the passenger side window, a stow-away table that slides into the ceiling, molle panels inside, and they're super sturdy for storage on top. They're fully weatherproof and the locks are great. They're also coming out with locks that can be opened from the inside which is awesome for camping in them when you want to.

We are the #1 dealer in the US for the brand and I'd be happy to tell you more about them if you're interested!

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I've got an ARE MX (mid rise) on my SuperCab. I leveled the front 0.85" with Bilstein 5100's added heavier stock size tires, and a topper all over the same tank. I think the topper made up for the other two losses. I am still getting 21.5/22 @80, and 24/25 on the 65mph winding colorado roads. I paid $2800 including tax at Suburban Toppers in Denver, have folding front window, and win-doors on both sides, and carpeted headliner. The RSI SmartCap was initially on my list, but its beyond expensive for what it is, not THAT much lighter, and personally I think the fiberglass cap looks so much better, and provides a much more "slim" profile in terms of air drag.

Heavy Duty

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brautigamexpeditionworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger
Occupation
Creater of titanium camping gear
I lost about 8mpg on my topper. Not all of them are created equal for mpg sake. I've done a ton of searching. I had an ARE fiberglass topper on my 2019 ranger, it fit well.

Deleted member 1634

My mpg increased by about 2mpg across the board with adding the topper. Might be a bit of an outlier since I'm already a very eco driver as it is, so the slight increase in aerodynamics might just be extenuated by that. That increase has since been cancelled out by swapping to slight heavier and more aggressive tires, which is quite disappointing.

City: 22 up to 24mpg
Highway: 27 up to 29mpg
Highway Towing: 18 up to 20mpg

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
If you want the best quality cap, RSI is the way to go. As @AutobotXJ said, the accessibility is amazing. They're easily stored since they come in 5 pieces instead of 1 giant, heavy, fiberglass piece and there's a ton of awesome ways you can change them up. You can get a camp kitchen that is accessible from the passenger side window, a stow-away table that slides into the ceiling, molle panels inside, and they're super sturdy for storage on top. They're fully weatherproof and the locks are great. They're also coming out with locks that can be opened from the inside which is awesome for camping in them when you want to.

We are the #1 dealer in the US for the brand and I'd be happy to tell you more about them if you're interested!
What is the wait on these. Seems like they are just never available. I have been considering the Evo Sport.

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
What is the wait on these. Seems like they are just never available. I have been considering the Evo Sport.
If ordered today, the cap would be expected to ship 7/30/22. We do occasionally get the caps in stock and will make a post announcing it, if that happens. Otherwise the way to go is just purchase and wait, unfortunately.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
It would be a big help if you mention who's Topper you have and if you know the weight, is it one that is level with the cab or above the cab, SuperCab or CrewCab.
Just saying.

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Considering the additional cost (about 45% at base prices) above the ARE and Leer models I'm looking at, the RSI is just simply overkill for me. All I need is dry, lockable storage. I'll never need storage on top and don't have any need for any of the components.

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
I had a SnugTop, loved it! Gained about 2 mpg. Up in Seattle, Leer stood for leaks each & every rain, which was true at the time.

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called today to order an ARE CX.

I called them as they were about to close....so they're going to call back tomorrow morning with the final price.

The base price was $2380.
+$104 for a folding front window
+?? for windoors
+$350 for electronic lock t handle + LED dome light

Strip lights were another $109. I passed on those....I'm certain the dome will be more than adequate.

The guy said 2-3 months. Hopefully I have my truck by then...lol

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Put my deposit down on the cap today.

ARE CX. Out the door price = $3600 ($395 of which was the installation kit + installation)

Front tilt window
windoors
Electric lock
LED dome light (wired to battery)
Sponsored

Last edited: