Tonneau

RobF8GT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW F800GT, 2017 Ford Fusion 2.7L sport. 2019 Ranger , Lariat, sport, FX4, Lightning Blue ordered.
Occupation
Commercial Transport Mechanic
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Ford accessary tonneau cover part # VKB3Z - 99501A42 - C? My questions would be, is it bolt on or clamp on and if it has a external lock / handle or do you have to open the tailgate first. I did talk to the Ford parts guy but he had no info. Thanks.
Sponsored

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Ford accessary tonneau cover part # VKB3Z - 99501A42 - C? My questions would be, is it bolt on or clamp on and if it has a external lock / handle or do you have to open the tailgate first. I did talk to the Ford parts guy but he had no info. Thanks.
It is my understanding that those (Rev brand) are made by BAK. BAK hard folding covers are clamp-on and there is no external lock, you have to open the tailgate to unlatch them. They have an aluminum rail that clamps onto the side of the top rail of the bed. Google BAKFLIP and take a look at their covers. They have videos showing how they are installed and how they function.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a Bak Flip G2 for the last 8+ years on my Ram (transferred it from one to the other) and love it. Easy to install, use, and remove if needed. I'm getting one for the Ranger (from the factory). It is VERY low profile, I'd say less than 1/4" above the bed rails. There's a whole thread on tonneau covers here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...hard-folding-tonneau-cover-availability.1440/

OP
OP
RobF8GT

RobF8GT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW F800GT, 2017 Ford Fusion 2.7L sport. 2019 Ranger , Lariat, sport, FX4, Lightning Blue ordered.
Occupation
Commercial Transport Mechanic
Thank you very much for the info and the link to the thread. I wanted a clamp on style and the handle thing isn't a big deal. Thanks again.

darren

First Name
darren piper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f150
I got one put on today it was a ford accessory guy had a hell of a time installing it a lot more difficult he said but it was his first time putting one on a ranger

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I got one put on today it was a ford accessory guy had a hell of a time installing it a lot more difficult he said but it was his first time putting one on a ranger
Darren, do you know which Bakflip model its equal to? Id like the MX4 not the G2 so I can close the tailgate without lifting the last cover section.

EDIT- just got an email back form my parts guys and he says its the same as the G2.

Last edited:

darren

First Name
darren piper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f150
Darren, do you know which Bakflip model its equal to? Id like the MX4 not the G2 so I can close the tailgate without lifting the last cover section.

EDIT- just got an email back form my parts guys and he says its the same as the G2.
I don’t remember the cover I got was actually for another range guy backed out of buying it i

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I continue to find many bad reviews for tonneau covers whether it is the hard rolling Bak Industries Revolver, the hold folding covers (UnderCover and BakFlip), or the soft covers like the Truxedo. Mostly that after 2-3 years the seals begin to fail badly on the folding/rolling covers and the soft covers get stretched out if they have snow sitting on them for days (which is a certainty for me due to work travel).

The best suitable so far that I’ve seen is the RetraxPro TR with the T-slot rails to allow Thule/Yakima/Rhino racks on top.

I hadn’t considered a one piece hard cover, but I came across the Undercover Ridgelander today and thought “PERFECT!” It is very weathertight, very few parts to fail, easy to disconnect, the mounting rails allow for t-slot racks with the cover installed or removed. Lastly it’s about $300 cheaper than the RetraxPro.

However, the Ranger isn’t currently listed for available models. I sent an email to their customer today, hopefully they plan to offer it.

Last edited:

Ron_W

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape titanium, 2013 c-max
I have been reading a lot about the different hard covers and am leaning toward the Lomax tri-fold hard cover. They said to expect an announcement about Ranger covers in mid-Feb. Hopefully soon, my truck is being blended today.

Also in my research found that a lot of the manufactures are all owned by Truck Hero. Extang, TruXedo, BedRug, UnderCover, Advantage, Retrax, BAK Industries, Rugged Liners, Husky Liners, A.R.E., N-FAB, Superlift, and Omix-ADA, and websites AutoCustoms and Real Truck are all owned by Truck Hero

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I already got a response from Undercover regarding the Ridgelander hard cover. They stated that they “currently do not have a time frame for that cover, you would be looking at least 6 months for that release.”

Dang!

ulev1st

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC FX4 ,2012 F250 Lariat FX4, 2017 Shelby GT350, 14 Ford Focus
Occupation
Retire Marine and Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Just left my dealership after researching thru the Ford parts dept and ordered my Hard Roll Up tonneau cover. The warehouse has it in stock so I will have it in my hot little hands by DAYS END! I went armed with the info on part numbers in this thread and discovered that the Hard Roll up has a different end letter....instead of "C" the last letter for it is "G".
I searched online and a few places were selling below MSRP at an average of $846... but then you have to pay shipping on a large bulky HEAVY box. MSRP was around $1100... I ended up getting mine for $900 and tax with no shipping.. PLUS I will have it by today. I'm sure that I MIGHT have been able to save a dollar or two... but I'm happy with the deal.
It's been raining here constantly so as soon as I can get a break from the rain I will install and post pics!

ulev1st

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC FX4 ,2012 F250 Lariat FX4, 2017 Shelby GT350, 14 Ford Focus
Occupation
Retire Marine and Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up and unboxed. Will try to install tomorrow if the weather cooperates. More pics to come.. Stay tuned

20190220_153833.jpg

20190220_152903.jpg

20190220_161535.jpg

20190220_153153.jpg

20190220_152903.jpg

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully this means my Revolver X2 will ship soon, as I think it's the same thing.