IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Welcome!

Some Background: I was tired of the potholes and beat up Michigan roads taking their toll on my previous car, wanted something to haul bicycles and motorcycles, and still wanted to be able to park in my 17' long driveway. Solution: A (smaller) pickup that could roll the biggest tires possible, hopefully 35s, to smooth out the ride. I eventually figured that instead of spending $60K on a Raptor or Gladiator it would be much more fun to throw some aftermarket money at a Ranger and see what came out the other side.

I figured it was easiest to post a build thread with the overview and use detail threads for specific projects. This will be the catch-all.

The Base Truck: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 with 302A and trailer tow package in Hot Pepper Red. I purchased around Christmas 2019 due to the amazing incentive money, roughly $6400 off my truck. Thank you, Ford! The dealer had a local vendor do a spray in bedliner (Unbelievable quality, I will link here when I find out who did it) and I drove it home New Year's Eve.

Mods will (eventually) include...
Auto-Folding Mirrors (Done! THX to RCMUSTANG)
SVC Tubular Bumpers front and rear (Done! SVC Rocks!)
BDS 1" rear lift with Fox 2.0" Shocks (Shout out to Impulse Off Road and SVC) Installed!
BDS 3" front lift with BDS UCAs, BDS differential lift, and Fox 2.0" front Coilovers Installed!
Rocker Blackout (Done! Here are the BEFORE and AFTER threads.)
BFG K02s in 34" x 10.5" x 17" Installed!
17" Wheels, hopefully something that looks Baja capable Installed!
Offset Spacers to give the truck some good stance on its new shoes. (0 offset wheels, not needed!)

Let the fun begin!

-Tom
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Here's the truck as it sits this morning:

20200630_075705.jpg

That's an SVC tubular rear bumper (!) and with the rocker blackout wrap courtesy of yours truly.

I keep saying I'm going to install the suspension, but family always becomes the priority. This thing is going to look so good with a small lift!

-T

20200630_075705.jpg

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Love it! What is the black color around the lower body panels ?

OP
OP

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Yep, found it shortly after I posted here. Great info. Thanks !

OP
OP

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Whew, finally time for an update!

I spent some time this week and installed the suspension and wheels / tires. Suspension first!

I had ordered BDS / Fox suspension back in April from Impulse Offroad. It arrived quickly, and then life got in the way. My truck's 1 year anniversary from it's adoption date was my wakeup call to switch priorities around.

Out with the old...

eHRz26L1oN36kgv1l_kK6jhdQ=w983-h1310-no?authuser=0.jpg

A pic of the BDS rear shackles being installed...

nL2HpYruzhHI6GyZasQDGz1DA=w983-h1310-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here's a pic of the front Coilover installation in progress...

DZcvbXMDpctFIsXo-s_7K0VlQ=w983-h1310-no?authuser=0.jpg

Installation was extremely straightforward, but as usual it took longer than expected. Hours seem to fly by when I'm in the garage. I might be the World's slowest mechanic, but at least I am happy.

Here are a couple of before / after comparison shots with the suspension lift.

om_01WaGVH4yWeibodLnBlfLw=w1047-h786-no?authuser=0.jpg

roDauYZ6x1OH60kivJL_qritg=w1047-h786-no?authuser=0.jpg

jD_A0_euVDlMPcHMfECBak98w=w1047-h786-no?authuser=0.jpg

FoX12yQVsrUiwSXdv8b661yxw=w1047-h786-no?authuser=0.jpg

Looks better, but not quite done yet.

-T

Last edited:
OP
OP

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Wheels & Tires

Although the tires had been picked out for quite some time, I would still waver between several different styles of wheels. Every few weeks I'd visit the same websites over and over. Nothing had everything quite right... until I finally checked one retailer on a whim.

It turns out that 4 Wheel Parts not only carries many popular brands but also works with those brands to get some exclusives once in awhile. In this case, it was a special color Method wheel that caught my eye. Not long after a set of 5 wheels and tires, mounted and balanced, was on a palette and headed my way. Merry Christmas, Tom! They arrived Dec 24th.

P_Qyf1MDD2IiPETDIgp2_48Ag=w1047-h786-no?authuser=0.jpg

8Sxs3aM2hApFcLnjZBZSxAzIg=w1047-h786-no?authuser=0.jpg

Lifted truck with the new wheels:

_AuRo9Qsy4NQTOvULClP50AGQ=w1047-h786-no?authuser=0.jpg

8GA2jLC72ELLx1ALAUKApKxsg=w1047-h786-no?authuser=0.jpg

YqpKGjHD_dyluRuTT8coilIhw=w1047-h786-no?authuser=0.jpg

I think the wheel color looks amazing, it works well with the Magnetic trim.

-Tom

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome!

Some Background: I was tired of the potholes and beat up Michigan roads taking their toll on my previous car, wanted something to haul bicycles and motorcycles, and still wanted to be able to park in my 17' long driveway. Solution: A (smaller) pickup that could roll the biggest tires possible, hopefully 35s, to smooth out the ride. I eventually figured that instead of spending $60K on a Raptor or Gladiator it would be much more fun to throw some aftermarket money at a Ranger and see what came out the other side.

I figured it was easiest to post a build thread with the overview and use detail threads for specific projects. This will be the catch-all.

The Base Truck: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 with 302A and trailer tow package in Hot Pepper Red. I purchased around Christmas 2019 due to the amazing incentive money, roughly $6400 off my truck. Thank you, Ford! The dealer had a local vendor do a spray in bedliner (Unbelievable quality, I will link here when I find out who did it) and I drove it home New Year's Eve.

Mods will (eventually) include...
Auto-Folding Mirrors (Done! THX to RCMUSTANG)
SVC Tubular Bumpers front and rear (Done! SVC Rocks!)
BDS 1" rear lift with Fox 2.0" Shocks (Shout out to Impulse Off Road and SVC) Installed!
BDS 3" front lift with BDS UCAs, BDS differential lift, and Fox 2.0" front Coilovers Installed!
Rocker Blackout (Done! Here are the BEFORE and AFTER threads.)
BFG K02s in 34" x 10.5" x 17" Installed!
17" Wheels, hopefully something that looks Baja capable Installed!
Offset Spacers to give the truck some good stance on its new shoes. (0 offset wheels, not needed!)

Let the fun begin!

-Tom
I've built the truck but I moved out of MI already lol...

OP
OP

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
January 2024 update: The truck is for sale! Tell your friends!

-T