Tire wobble?

• Thread starter Deleted member 773
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 773

How does the bigger tire sizes affect ride and handling on the Ranger? I drive a 2017 f-350 dually for work, it has ridge grappler 35 x12.5 17s on the stock rims and despite a Fox steering stabilizer, the tire wobble in the front end is terrible. Despite that, it sure is fun being able to run over whatever you want with the bigger tires..
Sponsored

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
How does the bigger tire sizes affect ride and handling on the Ranger? I drive a 2017 f-350 dually for work, it has ridge grappler 35 x12.5 17s on the stock rims and despite a Fox steering stabilizer, the tire wobble in the front end is terrible. Despite that, it sure is fun being able to run over whatever you want with the bigger tires..
The steering box and/or linkages are wearing out which is causing that wobble most likely. This is a problem I have seen on quite a few Ram truck as they don't appear to have a beefy enough steering box to handle the large wheel/tire combos over time. While I can tell you that there isn't any wobble in the front end with larger tires on the Ranger and that it still drives great, I can't speak to how long the steering components will remain tight with larger wheels/tires.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Seen lots of the F350's have an egg shaped hole in the steering knuckle where the ball joint is mounted. It's usually caused by the steering rod end being loose, and wearing the hole egg shaped. It can be fixed by getting an upsized ball joint and using a taper drill to reshape the hole. The proper fix is a new knuckle, but those are like finding a needle in a haystack since the D60 is usually the first thing gone from the scrap yard so people can hack them down and put them under wranglers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

Seen lots of the F350's have an egg shaped hole in the steering knuckle where the ball joint is mounted. It's usually caused by the steering rod end being loose, and wearing the hole egg shaped. It can be fixed by getting an upsized ball joint and using a taper drill to reshape the hole. The proper fix is a new knuckle, but those are like finding a needle in a haystack since the D60 is usually the first thing gone from the scrap yard so people can hack them down and put them under wranglers.
Thanks, I’ll have to throw it on the lift and see if that’s the problem. I think I’ll wait and see if anyone has the same issues before I try it!
Sponsored