Tire recommendations 275/70r17

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Hey yall, i just finally got my wheels ordered 17x9 +20mm offset and was planning on putting destination x/t’s on for rubber but they dont carry the size i want.

So trying to do more research on which tires are great offroad and still have good handling in the rain since this is still my daily driver. Keep in mind i live in WA and so it does rain a lot and so I’ll definitely be going through soaked streets and muddy trails. Id say atm im about 90% pavement and 10% offroad now. A lot of that is thanks to being a remote worker.

Hoping people can chime in on how these tires match up as far as an offroad tire with good daily driver manners, especially in the rain seeing as how i live in WA state. Im open to other suggestions as well as long as they’ve been vetted and have 3m+s rating.

Also im curious as to why ko2’s have such mixed reviews in the rain, is it load rating making that difference?

Ko2’s
Falken at3
Toyo at3
Ridge grapplers

Thanks in advance!

Edit: adding cooper disc at3 to list
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gr8Hortoni

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, int in a 5G
Occupation
Trucking
Hey yall, i just finally got my wheels ordered 17x9 +20mm offset and was planning on putting destination x/t’s on for rubber but they dont carry the size i want.

So trying to do more research on which tires are great offroad and still have good handling in the rain since this is still my daily driver. Keep in mind i live in WA and so it does rain a lot and so I’ll definitely be going through soaked streets and muddy trails. Id say atm im about 90% pavement and 10% offroad now. A lot of that is thanks to being a remote worker.

Hoping people can chime in on how these tires match up as far as an offroad tire with good daily driver manners, especially in the rain seeing as how i live in WA state. Im open to other suggestions as well as long as they’ve been vetted and have 3m+s rating.

Also im curious as to why ko2’s have such mixed reviews in the rain, is it load rating making that difference?

Ko2’s
Falken at3
Yoto at3
Ridge grapplers

Thanks in advance!
Personally in that size, I’d go with the Cooper discoverer at3. Out of the 4 listed, probably the falken.

OP
OP
Jrel209

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Ohh forgot about the coopers, gonna have to add that to the list ty.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Falken just cause I have them and read great reviews about rain/snow. Have not driven in true rain and have not gone into the mountains for snow. I’m sure all of those will be pretty decent, everyone raves about your selections. I think at that point I went with what looks best and I liked the falkens side wall treading.

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
I'm actually very surprised with how much I like the general grabbers on my tremor. They handle great in the rain & are surprisingly quiet / comfortable. If I had to nit pick I would agree with everyone that they do seem to collect and throw pebbles. . .I also had both falken at3's & nitto terra grapplers in the past. Both handled rain well and had a comfortable / quiet ride also. I can't comment on longevity or offroad capability, but from a dd standpoint the generals are my favorite. Imo the general's are the most aggressive looking and really don't have any drawbacks besides throwing pebbles. . . In order I like the generals the best, falkens 2nd, nittos last.

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be putting on 275/70/17 KO2s in about a week and a half. Will let you know how they perform. I live in the mountains of Colorado and just about everyone raves about the KO2s in snow.

72108BBE-63F8-4065-81F3-3EEDD250F484.jpeg

1A059503-F356-4E37-8D08-255D8C1A1F87.jpeg

35573864-70DC-4CF7-A080-A6094CD25011.jpeg

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good, 2" level ?
Fox 2.0 coil overs. I increased the preload a bit before install so it’s more like 2.5”-3” of lift up front. Rear unchanged but did add 2.0 shocks. It ended up more front lift than I was expecting so I guess rear shackles or new leafs are in my future. One upgrade begets another!!

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
Fox 2.0 coil overs. I increased the preload a bit before install so it’s more like 2.5”-3” of lift up front. Rear unchanged but did add 2.0 shocks. It ended up more front lift than I was expecting so I guess rear shackles or new leafs are in my future. One upgrade begets another!!
Very nice . . .it sure is an endless cycle, but at the end you will have an awesome truck and a nice hole in your wallet . . .at least if your like me lol

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
All in your list should be good.

If I had to pick, Falkens. If you got the BFG for a good price, I'd look at those as well.

I found the best factor with all terrains is finding the air pressure they like to run at. My Cooper/Mastercrafts wore awful at high PSI, my generals were like Velcro on everything at low PSI but got terrible mileage.

I've run alot of tires on my various Jeeps over the last 7 years. Off-road, road trips, snow...

Best: General Grabbers AT2
Worst: BFG AT KO (last generation)

Decent: Hankook ATM, Cooper AT3. Coopers are better than Hankooks.

My wife has those crossover Falken ATs on her Renegade. They are awesome.

So my next tires will be Falkens or Generals.

hthomas49

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Fx4
I’ll be putting on 275/70/17 KO2s in about a week and a half. Will let you know how they perform. I live in the mountains of Colorado and just about everyone raves about the KO2s in snow.

72108BBE-63F8-4065-81F3-3EEDD250F484.jpeg

1A059503-F356-4E37-8D08-255D8C1A1F87.jpeg

35573864-70DC-4CF7-A080-A6094CD25011.jpeg
You put them on 17" stock wheels with a 2" level? This is what I want to do but was unsure of clearance.

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
You put them on 17" stock wheels with a 2" level? This is what I want to do but was unsure of clearance.
I have 1” spacers to get more clearance from the spindle when aired down. It’s supposed to clear with stock offset but it’s very very close. Will see if the spacers complicates crash bar clearance. I’ve read on here that I should be fine. One week and I’ll know if I need to buy modified crash bars.

OP
OP
Jrel209

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Thanks yall, I think ill be getting quotes on the ko2, fAlken at3, and cooper at3’s. From what i can gather on a local facebook and rededit group for offroaders the falken/coopers have good offroad and great wet traction performce. But since ko2’s have mixed reviews for wet traction ill still keep them in my shopping in case they have an amazing deal, might as well test them myself if needed.
Sponsored