Tie down bolt and hole stripped

nkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Guys,

After installing a Bedrug into my 2019 Ranger I began the process of poking holes with an awl and reattching my tie downs. The first two (by the tailgate) went in without issue, but the next two (by the bulkhead) went in rough and wouldn't screw in all of the way. Once I backed out the bolts it looked like I had bent a few of the threads. I tried again with a fresh bolt hoping the the threads in the hole where fine, but it caught at the same point, leading me to believe I'd stripped that out as well.

I've ordered some replacement bolts, but I'm at a loss for how to fix the internal threading. Has this happened to anyone? Do you think this can be fixed with a hand tap?

Thanks,
nkey
Sponsored

OP
OP

nkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
When i did mine i used a awl to poke the initial hole, pulled the bed rug from the side of the bed so i could see behind it. them i inserted the bolt through just the bed rug hole to enlarge the hole a bit and make sure i didn't get any material in the bedside hole. put a dab of grease on the threaded insert in the bed and then ran the bolts and tire down starting by hand first. I had difficulties on the bulkhead tie downs until i realized there are 2 positions they can be installed in high up by the rails or lower towards the floor. any light grease would probably work i used some Krytox

OP
OP

nkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
When i did mine i used a awl to poke the initial hole, pulled the bed rug from the side of the bed so i could see behind it. them i inserted the bolt through just the bed rug hole to enlarge the hole a bit and make sure i didn't get any material in the bedside hole. put a dab of grease on the threaded insert in the bed and then ran the bolts and tire down starting by hand first. I had difficulties on the bulkhead tie downs until i realized there are 2 positions they can be installed in high up by the rails or lower towards the floor. any light grease would probably work i used some Krytox
This is about what I did, though I didn't try to clear the threads of any debris (didn't think of it to be honest).

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When I had the full bed rug in my Silverado, I just made slits the length of the tie downs. The way you are doing it, if you ever have to remove the rug to clean under it or anything else, you'll have to unscrew them again... just a suggestion.

OP
OP

nkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
When I had the full bed rug in my Silverado, I just made slits the length of the tie downs. The way you are doing it, if you ever have to remove the rug to clean under it or anything else, you'll have to unscrew them again... just a suggestion.
I appreciate that. I watched an install video for the Silverado where they slit the rug for the tie downs, and was planning on doing this myself. But it looked like you couldn't remove the tiedowns on the Silverado so cutting the rug was more of a necessity. I don't plan on ever removing the rug so I went with punching the holes, I just wish I had some grease and maybe saved reinstalling the tie downs until the next day when I wasn't tired.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
As someone who deals with a lot of threads and fasteners i can offer some tips for thread repair.

1. Usually only the lead thread will be damaged on a threaded hole unless a power tool was used to install and ran in deep before the cross threading was noticed.

2. if you can run the tap from the other side on a thru hole, do it. (probably not in this case but worth a mention)

3. look for a plug tap and stay away from bottom taps. (the one pictured in the other post is excellent) in this case, more taper in the beginning of the tap the better.

4. use a tap handle and not a power tool or crescent wrench. you want even pressure on both sides to keep it from going in crooked and you want to feel if it's going in ok vs. cross threading. if I'm right and only the begining is buggered up, it should turn pretty smoothly and easily after 2-3 turns or so.

5. make sure the tap is going in perfectly straight.

6. any lubricant will be fine for thread repair of one hole. just blow any chips (shavings) out before installing a bolt. (don't want to gall the threads)

7. If power tools "must" be used for bolt installation, always install the first few turns by hand and then use the power tools.

8. trick that sometimes works for thread repair. place the tap in the hole and turn it backwards. you might feel it "drop" into the hole a tiny bit at a certain point. then it will probably be fine to turn clockwise and chase the thread.

My machinist mind might have made this seem more complex than it really is. just remember, if it feels like its going in wrong, it probably is. take it slow and easy. Best of luck!!

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys,

After installing a Bedrug into my 2019 Ranger I began the process of poking holes with an awl and reattching my tie downs. The first two (by the tailgate) went in without issue, but the next two (by the bulkhead) went in rough and wouldn't screw in all of the way. Once I backed out the bolts it looked like I had bent a few of the threads. I tried again with a fresh bolt hoping the the threads in the hole where fine, but it caught at the same point, leading me to believe I'd stripped that out as well.

I've ordered some replacement bolts, but I'm at a loss for how to fix the internal threading. Has this happened to anyone? Do you think this can be fixed with a hand tap?

Thanks,
nkey
I had an issue with attaching my tonneau cover because the Line-X was sprayed into a non-taped hole. I was able to break-out my tap and die set and clean out the hole. The Line-X guys said I will probably have a one of a kind truck, since they would never pull off the tie downs when they spray another Ranger bed. It took them longer to put the tie downs back in than it did to spray the liner.
Sponsored