There are many builds, but this one is mine.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
More like hulk smash.

Square won't go in circle? The hell it won't. It will when I'm done with it.
No, no. Just cut the piece with the circle into a square that's too big for the piece to fit right...then cut the whole thing off and attach another piece with a circle before you realize you wanted square...torch work area! ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So Rack 3.0 begins soon. Parts are starting to accumulate and now I have a proper work area.

Phase One:

1. new frame design; simplification and reduction in total parts count.

2. better wire management / easier to service or repair / more akin to 'plug and play'

3. new perimeter lighting system; flush mount design and lighting that is roughly tripled in power but smaller foot print.

4. new fold away awning mount system; gas strut operated / deploy and fold from ground level.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
you're doing some nice work.
any possibility you'll mass produce this as a kit for the Ranger Fam?
While material cost are not astronomical, it is time intensive. I had mulled over the idea quite a few times, but I can't find a way to balance labor cost without it becoming with a price tag that I would consider reasonable. Maybe it would be to others, I dunno. Might be the closest thing I can do is sell it as a custom job one person at a time.

The other caveat is R&D is just me driving the truck. Not possible for me to offer a no failure product unless I market it is as strictly a semi-flat land cargo carrier. I have 100% confidence in it, but the game changes when someone else is handing you their hard earned money.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I still have a little work to be done, attending to the small details and such, but for most par V3 is up and running. I wish I could offer some nice scenic photos, but I go back on duty tonight and just not enough hours in day. Truck needs a bath badly as well. It is nice to have a clean work area again though. haha

IMG_20211112_131942.jpg

IMG_20211112_132059.jpg

IMG_20211112_132158.jpg

IMG_20211112_132337.jpg
Nice Bench !

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Bench !
Thanks. After a life time of work on cramped 6 foot benches I finally had the opportunity to go absurd and build a 16 foot bench. I still need to design and build a pegboard to go with it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I still have a little work to be done, attending to the small details and such, but for most par V3 is up and running. I wish I could offer some nice scenic photos, but I go back on duty tonight and just not enough hours in day. Truck needs a bath badly as well. It is nice to have a clean work area again though. haha

IMG_20211112_131942.jpg

IMG_20211112_132059.jpg

IMG_20211112_132158.jpg

IMG_20211112_132337.jpg
I have the same drill press...?

evoaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9.5” Redwing
My favorite build man, great work. What’s your measurement between roof and strut? I’m thinking about deflection on the cantilever set up.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
My favorite build man, great work. What’s your measurement between roof and strut? I’m thinking about deflection on the cantilever set up.
I'm not sure what the exact measurement is if I can remember when I get off work I'll grab it for you but the two middle struts that span the apex of the roof are pretty darn close probably about an inch with not room to spare. The side panels over the cab or even closer maybe like a half inch.

I ended up having to cut out a small square of my platform grating because even my 2-in stubby antenna was just barely rubbing on the bottom.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Well I think I'm about to start the next big project. The rear seat is coming out and then I'm going to start designing what I want to do back there. I still need to mull over if I want to add a single jump seat or if I'm just going to do no seating at all and go for mass storage and self-containment.

This project is going to open up a lot of possibilities.

One thing I'm mulling over is if I go to travel with my dogs by myself making a modular platform that way I can just also remove at least temporarily the passenger front seat and just sleep directly in the cabin and not have to worry about any sort of tent systems.

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Damn it's been a while since I did a picture dump in here;
IMG_20211215_091219.jpg
Went through this whole thread but couldn't find anything about the lights in the grille. Could you "spread some light" about what they are and how you did that?
Sponsored