MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I love our Lariat Ranger FX4 overall, the Torque, the Tech, the Music.... However, like some other members of this forum, we do find the Ranger too "bouncy," even over the smallest imperfections in the road. This is just a personal preference, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions about what constitutes a great ride. However, since we do find this annoying, and since it is the only issue we have with our new Ranger, is there anything that can be done about it? The tires are inflated according to specifications, just above thirty, and so there is not much leeway there. I am considering replacing the "off-road tuned shocks," hoping to get a calmer street ride while keeping most of the off-road features intact. Can anyone offer some advice on what would be the best way to go with this? I would appreciate any suggestions, including brands and models of shocks, etc. I stress that I am not interested in, do not want, leveling or lifting, which is what most of the aftermarket companies seem to be offering, but just a smoother street-driving experience for my daily drive. Thanks in advance for your help....
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I love our Lariat Ranger FX4 overall, the Torque, the Tech, the Music.... However, like some other members of this forum, we do find the Ranger too "bouncy," even over the smallest imperfections in the road. This is just a personal preference, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions about what constitutes a great ride. However, since we do find this annoying, and since it is the only issue we have with our new Ranger, is there anything that can be done about it? The tires are inflated according to specifications, just above thirty, and so there is not much leeway there. I am considering replacing the "off-road tuned shocks," hoping to get a calmer street ride while keeping most of the off-road features intact. Can anyone offer some advice on what would be the best way to go with this? I would appreciate any suggestions, including brands and models of shocks, etc. I stress that I am not interested in, do not want, leveling or lifting, which is what most of the aftermarket companies seem to be offering, but just a smoother street-driving experience for my daily drive. Thanks in advance for your help....
FX4 was designed for off road. It will be bouncy on pavement.

You probably shouldn't have bought the FX4, but another 4x4 package

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Hey Marc,
Other users have said that replacing the shocks/coilovers on their trucks has improved road feel like you described. There are a few companies offering complete replacement kits you can take a look into (ICON, ADS, EIBACH, ROUGH COUNTRY, FOX, ect). Check out some of the threads here https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/forums/suspension-chassis.14/ .

Im not sure there is a definitive answer yet but @Randy2400h and @themikeyan did the ICON kits and seem happy with them. Good luck!

kaltzbar

First Name
Barret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
FX4 was designed for off road. It will be bouncy on pavement.

You probably shouldn't have bought the FX4, but another 4x4 package
I have a regular 4x4 and notice the bounciness as well. I've gotten used to it so it's not terribly annoying, but I've noticed a significantly smoother ride when there's weight in the bed.

I plan to throw 2-4 sandbags in the bed this winter, but if I like the ride better maybe I'll just leave them in :fingerscrossed:

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
The Taller the wheel the harsher the ride. We noticed this also test driving all the Rangers. Could not pin point the bounce to either the FX suspension, leather having more give than the fabric cushion or standard suspension and PSI. We as a collective decided the leather seats on FX4 suspension had the most comfortable ride.. I have a XLT Sport on 18 in wheels. Pretty bouncy also.

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
The tires are inflated according to specifications, just above thirty, and so there is not much leeway there.
I have SCrew Lariat 4x4 non FX4 on Bridgestone Duelers. I have done some experimenting and have found the best first course of action is to try different air pressures. When I had the tires at ~30psi per the door the highway ride felt like I was in a boat, constantly bouncing and pulling into my driveway would rock me back and forth about 4-5 times.

I am now running 38psi all the way around and I find it much more tolerable. Rear end maybe a little harsh on bumps but feels like a truck should. Pulling into the driveway only rocks 1 or 2 times, and my wife no longer gets car sick on the highway.

My theory is the bounciness or what some describe as wallowing is due to tire sidewall flex. The shocks cannot dampen that movement so take the tires out of the equation by making them more firm.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I have SCrew Lariat 4x4 non FX4 on Bridgestone Duelers. I have done some experimenting and have found the best first course of action is to try different air pressures. When I had the tires at ~30psi per the door the highway ride felt like I was in a boat, constantly bouncing and pulling into my driveway would rock me back and forth about 4-5 times.

I am now running 38psi all the way around and I find it much more tolerable. Rear end maybe a little harsh on bumps but feels like a truck should. Pulling into the driveway only rocks 1 or 2 times, and my wife no longer gets car sick on the highway.

My theory is the bounciness or what some describe as wallowing is due to tire sidewall flex. The shocks cannot dampen that movement so take the tires out of the equation by making them more firm.
My only concerns are that you are almost 30% over on pressure causing tire wear in the center and I think it would be like a pogo stick on a wash board surface. I too would like to get rid of that wiggle. Good luck

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
35 pounds all around worked for me on a xlt but it’s still warm out I will try 38 in winter!

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have a regular 4x4 and notice the bounciness as well. I've gotten used to it so it's not terribly annoying, but I've noticed a significantly smoother ride when there's weight in the bed.

I plan to throw 2-4 sandbags in the bed this winter, but if I like the ride better maybe I'll just leave them in :fingerscrossed:
What pressure are your tires? I have not noticed any excessive bounce. It rides a ton better than my 2014 F150.

I have the bridgestone tires around 31/32 cold

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder

I decided to try raising the air pressure this morning and I can confirm you are correct. I assumed that raising the air pressure would make the truck bounce even more, but just the opposite is true. I have a 2WD supercab.

kaltzbar

First Name
Barret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
What pressure are your tires? I have not noticed any excessive bounce. It rides a ton better than my 2014 F150.

I have the bridgestone tires around 31/32 cold
I'm rolling 31/32 at the moment with the stock Dynapro ATMs, but a hell of a lot better than the 48 psi I received at delivery. Not as smooth as my '93 F-150 was, but that was a bit heavier and slower -- even with the 5.8!

electryon

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392
I haven't checked my tire psi yet, but she does rock a bit. Part of mine could be related to the stiff sport suspension I came from.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I have the LT tires which are supposed to be at 38psi according to door panel. I didn't notice the bounce until I put the topper on... it was enough weight to cause a washboard effect on the highway. Might have to do new shocks to try and fix it.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
First of all I'd be a little leery of running the tire pressure too high. There's a reason Ford specifies a correct cold pressure on the door. Adding too much air negatively effects tire wear, vehicle handling and center of gravity. Just a few things to keep in mind if you start going way over recommended tire pressure.

I've gotten used to my Ranger enough that the ride doesn't bother me as much as it did at the beginning. It almost seems that Ford was so worried people would think it rode too rough that they made it too soft.

On a fairly smooth highway with normal expansion seams it rides great. When you start hitting a few large dips at a higher speed that's when the float and bounce start showing up. If you brake hard it'll also give you some serious nose dive. If you're used to cruising in something like a mid 90s Buick or any Town Car it won't bother you at all. If you're used to a firm riding vehicle you'll wonder what in the world is going on. If you really can't stand it then you certainly can try some shock and spring changes. I wonder how the US Ranger rides compared to the ROW versions? Does the parabolic rear spring make a difference? Anyhow good luck with getting the ride quality you like.

Last edited: