First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
Today I was driving and took the exit and stayed on the turn around lane. A new chevy truck almost hit me trying to get in my lane. I noticed the chevys don't have the blind spot detection light. It did have the little blind spot mirror but it made glad I didn't go with a chevy again. I think the light is better than the mirror. He didn't hit me but if he had that light, he wouldn't have tried. I'm just glad my truck came with it.
Sponsored

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 301a
BSM is an option on the Colorado and Silverado. On the Colorado they are NOT easy to find with that package. I briefly considered the Colorado when shopping and did a pretty intense inventory search. Ended up ruling it out given the known transmission issues. I like BSM but it is no substitute for old fashioned defensive driving and LOOKING AT THE ROAD.

OP
OP
Jmarler

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
I took drivers education back in high school so I'm always defensive driving lol. I still occasionally do 10 and 2 on the steering wheel when I'm in heavy traffic.I don't fully rely on the mirrors or back up camera. But it's nice having these options when I really need it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I find the blind spot monitoring on my Ranger, and Fords in general to be quite lacking.

Yes, the light is great, almost all manufacturers use it. However, some, my wife's Mazda for example, also add an audible tone. Light is always there, but put your turn signal to the right with an active light and you get get an audible alert. I think this is a much more thorough implementation.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
For me it comes in handy for bikers that get right next to you in a blind spot. Just bc you cant see it in the mirror does not mean its not there lol

edsa-traffic-1205-620x370.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I was backing out of a parking spot, really creeping out because my view was obstructed, and the alert sounded right away for another vehicle speeding through the lot. Pretty thankful for that!
The cross traffic alert is very nice.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
For me it comes in handy for bikers that get right next to you in a blind spot. Just bc you cant see it in the mirror does not mean its not there lol

edsa-traffic-1205-620x370.jpg
Wow Alex I hope you don't have to deal with that every day. Traffic here is getting worse all the time with everyone moving here and I cant stand it but it's nothing like that.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I find the blind spot monitoring on my Ranger, and Fords in general to be quite lacking.

Yes, the light is great, almost all manufacturers use it. However, some, my wife's Mazda for example, also add an audible tone. Light is always there, but put your turn signal to the right with an active light and you get get an audible alert. I think this is a much more thorough implementation.
I agree that adding an audible tone would be a more thorough implementation. When the cross traffic warning goes off, it definitely gets my attention to look around for what set it off. Usually it's not an imminent threat, but it is often enough that I value that audible alert pretty highly.

I at least feel like the blind spot light is at least in a good spot. I look over there already to check my mirror and my blind spot, so if I see the light on in the mirror, I know to make sure I look closely enough to identify the thing that's making it come on.

I would appreciate a tone in addition to the fast blink if I engage my turn signal while something is there. Not a sound like the cross traffic alert, but a ping instead of or on top of the usual turn signal tick. It's pretty uncommon for something to escape my notice during my usual blind spot checks, but for smaller things like bicycles and motorcycles, the extra sensors and notifications do help since it's easier for them to hide.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I agree that adding an audible tone would be a more thorough implementation. When the cross traffic warning goes off, it definitely gets my attention to look around for what set it off. Usually it's not an imminent threat, but it is often enough that I value that audible alert pretty highly.

I at least feel like the blind spot light is at least in a good spot. I look over there already to check my mirror and my blind spot, so if I see the light on in the mirror, I know to make sure I look closely enough to identify the thing that's making it come on.

I would appreciate a tone in addition to the fast blink if I engage my turn signal while something is there. Not a sound like the cross traffic alert, but a ping instead of or on top of the usual turn signal tick. It's pretty uncommon for something to escape my notice during my usual blind spot checks, but for smaller things like bicycles and motorcycles, the extra sensors and notifications do help since it's easier for them to hide.
Yep. That's exactly how I'd like it to be.

I've never noticed a difference in blinker pace though. Gonna have to check that out.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I think the only time a tone needs to come on is if you hit your blinker when someone is in your blind spot. or maybe if the lane departure system detects you leaving your lane while someone is in your blind spot
Sponsored

Last edited: