Text messages on info screen

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
My notifications show up on the main screen while driving. Gives me the option the hear, call or cancel.
Just un-paired, the re-paired my phone and truck. After pairing, I opened the Ranger settings on phone and allowed access to calls, contacts and messages. When I texted myself, I now have the option to hear it.

Thanks...

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
This only shows up when you are at a stop. Definitely not safe to be reading a text while in motion. You can adjust the volume of the "reading" if you turn the volume knob up while the text is being read.
A quick glance at the screen that is the center of attention in the cab is a lot less distracting than pulling the phone out, opening the text messages an reading it because I couldn't hear it. I will try to adjust the volume next time. As someone that rides a motorcycle I have distracted drivers....I don't see reading a quick text on the dash display as much of a distraction....it's not like I'm tic tocking lol. I don't see that as any different than the GPS.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
never had the option to read the text on the screen.
i do get a notification, both sound and visual.
i can only press the button to hear it play over the speakers.
Yeah you can't read them on the screen only audible. It's nice to be able to listen to them when you're waiting for an important text. Some days I'm going to several different jobs and I'll text someone before leaving and get their message while already en route.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I will try to unpair and re-pair. I really liked the option to hear text when driving. It would have been nice two days this week when the school I teach at texted 2 hour delay and today, remote learning. Drove all the way in both days...

BTW, I did the sync update and I don't like. Wish I could change back...
I've fixed some glitches like that by rebooting the phone itself. When all else fails, it's something to try. Good luck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks for that Dave. As soon as I saw Landis post above I checked mine and the settings are the same as yours . Someday if it every stops raining ,sleeting or snowing I will check into it further. I did an update a couple of weeks ago maybe that caused it.
Bret, I just looked at my settings on the main screen and they're below. If you check "Voice Readout" it will automatically read them out for you. Since mine isn't checked I have to option to hear them, call back or cancel them. Also make sure the slide bar at the top is enabled. Hopefully this works.

Go into the phone app

IMG_3648.jpg

Make sure text messaging is enabled

IMG_3646.jpg

Check the voice readout if you want them to auto read them.

IMG_3647.jpg

Last edited:

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Bret, I just looked at my settings on the main screen and they're below. If you check "Voice Readout" it will automatically read them out for you. Since mine isn't checked I have to option to hear them, call back or. cancel them. Also make sure the slide bar at the top is enabled. Hopefully this works.

Go into the phone app

IMG_3648.jpg

Make sure text messaging is enabled

IMG_3646.jpg

Check the voice readout if you want them to auto read them.

IMG_3647.jpg
WOW Dave good info, I don't think I have seen these screens yet and i'm sure that's is where the issue is. Too much ice on the truck now but when it turns to rain I will check it out . Thanks, Bret

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
getting real is not comparing reading a text to adjusting a temp.
i have three ways to adjust the temp.
by voice, the screen, the knobs and thankfully I leave it on auto and never have to touch it.
for further info, i also use the steering wheel controls to adjust the stereo and if i have a passenger, I let them do it for me in case you thought that would be a sweet rebuttal. would you like me to go on, I got more?

reading a text on a screen in the middle of the dash below the dash line is just as stupid as reading it on your phone. whether you think it's easier or not.

thats real.
not everyone has all those features....not everyone wants those features. Although you look straight ahead 100% of the time an keep your hands at 3 an 9 o'clock not everyone is programmed for that. I can read a text line in a second...about as much time as reading "forward assist camera" alert when the windshield fogs up (an I have to redirect the ventilation to clear it). The vehicle alerts themselves distract the driver to some degree in the name of "safety". For me the voice prompts suck an I never use them.

I've been driving for over 40 years....I drive all day everyday for my job an my safety record will match up with anyone's.

Looking at the display for a second isn't going to kill anyone....everyone looks away for various distractions an to perform various functions on the controls. Typing on your phone an checking social media WILL kill someone.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
not everyone has all those features....not everyone wants those features. Although you look straight ahead 100% of the time an keep your hands at 3 an 9 o'clock not everyone is programmed for that. I can read a text line in a second...about as much time as reading "forward assist camera" alert when the windshield fogs up (an I have to redirect the ventilation to clear it). The vehicle alerts themselves distract the driver to some degree in the name of "safety". For me the voice prompts suck an I never use them.

I've been driving for over 40 years....I drive all day everyday for my job an my safety record will match up with anyone's.

Looking at the display for a second isn't going to kill anyone....everyone looks away for various distractions an to perform various functions on the controls. Typing on your phone an checking social media WILL kill someone.
6....Ahhhh?? I've no dog in y'alls fight. I'm a bad speller too, so just messing with you. A little humor to chill a little.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Usually on most roads you can pull over and read and comprehend the text. And think about what you are going to do with that info. Of course if your time is worth thousands a second then goathead risk everyones life. :eek:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I pull over to answer a text or hand the phone to a passenger to reply for me....I can handle reading a typical text I receive...."running late" "be there in 5"

I have a very boring life....which is the way I want it.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Thanks, I will look, on my Android..
Try re-pairing your phone to sync, it happens to me occasionally after android updates. Once its repaired, its all back to normal. Make sure you give it the right permissions when pairing as well.

edit:Oh, i didnt see you fixed it. Glad you got it working again.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Be aware, if you're on any iOS Beta, the function can be intermittent.
Sponsored